Not open for further replies.

milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
starting to work on the basic tile set for the first area in my game, finally got it looking somewhat put together. not sure how to go about making trees since my character sprite is rather large and it would look strange with small trees, i'll have to make them pretty big. still need to make little details like pebbles for the dirt path and some various other flowers and plants

Screenshot (40).png

waynee95

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! Im pretty new to this forum and to RPG Maker. Here is the first map for my game, I am working on. I think it needs some tweaks here and there and I need to work on the water area.

ground3.png

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@milk I love the look of your graphics, am really looking forward to seeing you add trees and such... Otherwise, there isn't much I can tell you that you haven't already thought of. 

Me?  I am trying something new and learning a new graphics style.  Nothing like learning new graphics to expand your art to the next level by learning something new.  I am thinking of changing the floor as I am not really happy with them at the moment.  averydifferentstyle.PNG

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! Im pretty new to this forum and to RPG Maker. Here is the first map for my game, I am working on. I think it needs some tweaks here and there and I need to work on the water area.

That's a great start - but some things to take note of...

• Your grass overlay is definitely in the water/over the cliffs at some points - making it look muddy.
  • Your tree assets don't look good together (try to pick a style and stick as close to it as possible).
  • The perspective on some of the trees is off - and you won't have big groupings of trees like that; you'll have to work on the spacing a little bit more.
  • Try painting your paths with a sponge brush instead - the texture will be a bit grainier.
  • Don't forget to add bushes, flowers, barrels, etc. (I mean, whatever you want) - to add some visual diversity and life to the map.

Sinweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@waynee95 Aside from what @IAmJakeSauvage said (especially the issue with the mismatched trees), you may want to look up on how to shift click part of your water.

The plunge pool at the bottom of a waterfall tend to be deeper or around the same depth as the deeper parts of the water. To illustrate this, consider this figure

With shift clicking and a mix of shallow/deep water tiles, you can create this:

Edit:

Additionally, you may want to go back and look at your trees placement. Trees growing on the same line should not overlap one another.

Last edited by a moderator:

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Nice work, y'all! @Caitlin, I especially like how your tiles are reminiscent of old PC-98 RPGs a bit (though a tad cuter).

It's been literally years since i've last evented a system on one of the older RPG Makers, but I felt it'd be fun to do that.

(Tiles are Theodore, though i've done a quick parallax job.)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@JosephSeraph o_O !!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! 

I guess that's a good reaction. I loved the glitch effect before the ghosts.

waynee95

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Noobk Thanks!

@IAmJakeSauvage Thanks for the feedback. The overlay is over some cliffs because I wanted to see how this looks, but I will remove it, don't like the messy look.

@Sinweaver Okay, thanks! Definitely need to work on that part.

milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@caitlyn thank you ! I like how your tiles look too, I love the old school style!

i added some trees to my tileset , used some Pokemon trees for reference, they turned out kind of plastic-y looking but I kind of like it, Here's a screen shot 

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@milk Those tiles are adorable. :D Just a thought, but have you considered curving the giant dandelion stems a little instead of having them stick up so rigidly? You could curve them in different directions for some visual variety.

waynee95

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Again another parallax map. This time I choose a little easier theme without cliffs and water.

wald1.png

What is better for collisions, a plugin like YEP_RegionRestrictions or transparent tiles?

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Showcase of parameters i'm gonna use in my game and yes no dodge allowed here mate, just block or counter.
That's how real man do, they take in the face and then throw the sheep back at yours.

parameters.jpg

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The sprite that I got commissioned, plus the house I was working on which has finally been completed.

milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@Euphony thats a good idea ! i'll try making the stems curved and see how it looks.

@Arcmagik the sprite looks pretty good but I don't think it really matches the rest of the scene, the RTP stuff looks too smooth compared to the sprite, maybe because the outline is so thick and dark

I worked all day making a water autotile for the first area in my game and after hours of trial and error I think I got it looking pretty good

water.gif

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@milk Hmm... I tried to blur the RTP stuff up a bit to help blend them together, but I guess it wasn't enough. I'll need to try something else.

Renoru

Proud Lurker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I've been making a new game for a while now, and I decided to make my own tileset for it, although it's heavily based on the Rm2k3's RTP.

What do you think? I really feel there's something wrong with it. Maybe it the color scheme? I really don't know lol  :guffaw:

(P.S. Obviously the character graphic is a placeholder. I'm gonna change it later.)

(P.S.S. I'm also just showcasing my new game's 8bit art direction and my mapping, although the map is still not finished.)

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@milk Minor nit-pick, but the reflection in the water should be shifted somewhat. We should only be able to see the midsection of the character and above in the water. Other than that, everything is turning out snazzily!

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Renoru If you're looking for feedback on your tiles, you would probably be better off posting in the Resource Support forum, where you would get more focused advice.  This thread is really concerned with mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Person: "Taxes are bs and money is, too! Anarchy!!" *Literally anything goes wrong* Same Person: "Why hasn't the government fixed this???"
Stream will be live shortly with a session of Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
As for the Coronavirus? Well: "People that spend their life avoiding death are already dead (they're also rich, and I like to spend my life with their money.)"
- R. Sanchez, "Edge of Tomorty: Rick, Die, Repeat"
making pierogi and corrupting my game files wbu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acelaces