Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is my first parallax map I have ever made. I used paint.net, because I can't seem to work GIMP at all, it's just too confusing to me. Anyways, I wanted some feedback from the community on my first parallax map! It was made using the default MV grass for the ground and Celianna's parallax tiles for everything else.Parallax1Full.png

Fudge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It looks pretty good. The trees surround the lake nicely and their variety gives a more interesting feel than the "oh look this entire forest only has one identical tree in it" feel, (that can actually look good though). There's a lot of empty space, but I assume you're going to fill it up. In the future, I would recommend adding some lighting effects. fallenlorelei has some very helpful tutorials in the mv tutorial section of this forum, they're very good to help you start parallax mapping, and they cover adding lighting (if you haven't seen them already :) ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Name

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Palladinthug

omg! i want that tileset! its so awesome! your mapping is great by the way!

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A "sewer" that's also an old entrance for a castle.
Still WIP and with no paralax ofc.

sad sewer.png

Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan Thanks for doing that.

@Fudge Thank you for the feedback! I'll be sure to fill in the empty space. However, for the game that I'm making this map for, I want to have a Day/Night cycle that goes along with the Terrax Lighting plugin, so I wil leave it without lighting for now. :)  

@rondchild Looks good, has a very cute and cartoony feel. You might want to make the road a little bit more narrow, though so that it doesn't feel too big compared to the characters.

Feldschlacht IV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
shop.gif

This isn't really a HUGE thing or anything, just something cool I wanted to share; I noticed that the main character (Callox) sometimes doesn't get a lot of chances to show as much personality as some of the other characters, since narrative wise, main characters act as a sort of 'surrogate' to the player. He still has a personality, but other characters 'bounce off' it more.To give Callox more opportunities to 'be himself' I sometimes make him conversate with NPC's, and shopkeepers are a great opportunity for that. However, since shopping is an integral part of the player experience and I don't want to clog it up, he only strikes up a conversation the FIRST time you visit that shopkeeper, but all times after that, it's straight to business.

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Canini only just seen your comment, seems like I tried to ignore you! couldn't agree more and this has been sorted now, it was more put there so I had rough idea of where the path leads from / too :)

Still got some things to modify on here (been working on other maps as well so not got round to it yet but):

added a bit more 'fluff' to it all, changed  the path as pointed out it did look very blocky, especially for a place that's been desolate for some time!

Feedback always welcome!!

Faceless-Bloodborne%20First%20Encounter%20Incomplete_zpsfiwjfvrc.png

@Feldschlacht IV that's a really cool idea! wouldn't bother me having a conversation to build up on your characters personality, it also (from that screenshot) gives you a bit of background of your story as well!

@Palladinthug Very nice maps, i like the inside water fountain and bridge, looks very classy. 

@Starbound Leo very nice for a first attempt! one thing i would say is add varying colours on the floor (you can add some mud(brown color) underneath to give a more authentic field feel - one huge positive of parallax mapping imo) and add some more flowers to your grass area

:)

@Yoraee The only thing I can see that i would suggest, on the clubs staircase, possibly make the banisters both visible as it looks to go from a 3d effect to a 2d effect when the banisters merge into one (it could just be me and my suggestion may not work) but the rest looks very sleek for that style :)  (bestroom is my favorite out of them) :)

nicely

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finished my first parallax map about an hour ago can you tell i don't know what i'm doing

Took me all night, but I'm pretty darn proud of it. Feedback would most certainly be appreciated. 

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/azhcipI.jpg[/IMG]

Fudge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@nicely That map looks good. The room doesn't look too symmetrical, which is good for the feel you're trying to establish. The lghting fades away nicely as well. Normally I would point out all the empty space, but in your map, it fits the theme well. There's enough room for a large group of people to work in- I would assume it's a blacksmiths/weapon shop

nicely

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Fudge That it is! There were going to be quite a few NPCs inside the room, I just haven't had the chance to put all of their character sprites together. I don't want this map, or my future maps to look empty, but sometimes it looks so repetitive. I'm thinking maybe smaller maps with around the same amount of clutter would do the trick? Just spitballin'. 

Fudge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok! That would work as well, but I actually like that kind of map and how the empty space sits within it. In the end, though, just go with what you find more fun.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@nicely If I could make a few suggestions.

Always keep in mind what type of location it is that you are mapping.  This looks like a blacksmith/weapon maker workshop.  It has what seems to be a furnace.  In that sort of situation, there would never be a good quality wooden floor.  Far too dangerous.  It also looks like you have a carpet going up to the furnace, which would be the last thing that one would find there.  Nor would anyone store jars etc. so close to a high heat source.  So you have contradictory indications about what sort of place this is.  I am not arguing for hyper realism, but you want something that doesn't jar the player's sense of place.

I personally would have this smaller, even allowing for additional NPCs, if only because when people are working they are not going to want to have to walk long distances between work benches, stores, tools etc.  Also having it such a large size gives it too grand a feel for the type of location it is supposed to be.

You show the front wall, clearly indicating where the windows are.  But no door?

What is a spinning wheel doing in a workshop like that?

AestheticGamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My small little project, Red Haze, is coming along. Currently working on a basement and parking lot area. The game is supposed to be in sort of a decrepit abandoned place and have a doodily style going for it, so it's a bit interesting to design for, but is what it is.

3494E0EDE453F055D52B51D9AC2E4D6D117E6D50

21A3F5FCB371A7B3569243D0AEEE023355D2694C

D50EBE8EFBF16916BB72CC4567252E3BCA2AA6FA

305C5E3C1A52FE6C29E3C7094CE2FF6C7D7F6DF7

Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My second parallax map! I don't know how to do lighting, but I will look into some tutorials. Again, made with Celianna's parallax tiles.  :)  Any feedback is welcome!

VillageParallax1.png

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My second parallax map! I don't know how to do lighting, but I will look into some tutorials. Again, made with Celianna's parallax tiles.  :)  Any feedback is welcome!

View attachment 45570

This is your second map pal, your doing great. I'd personally add few more tree's ? but yeah when you add some lighting it will look even better. keep it up :)

Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@2FaSt Thanks! I will make sure to add more trees and of course some lighting! :)  Also, maybe more flowers to add some interest.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@2FaSt

My only real quarrel is with the theme, actually. If you are going for a FFVII prequel, wouldn't that mean that you need a tiny bit more modern tiles? And no vegetation/flowers? You can even see the huge thematic difference in your tiles of the first map and the parallax background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thank you to everyone who participated in the 3rd quarter annual Drifty jam! I'm always so impressed with the games people make! This time our winner dominated both categories!
jamWinners2.png
That feeling when you have an out-of-bounds error and an ai enemy exploits it to kill you
i'm getting better and i think im going to work on my magical girl game while I wait to get some stuff for my horror game. i hope you guys are having a good day
Kept making a new frame for any change I did so ended up with a gif XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoctorDeathtrap