Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwelveBluebells

TwelveBluebells Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    So after creating a few maps in VXAce, I decided it wasn't quite giving me what I wanted. So now I'm making parallax maps. Here's my first one, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the shadows. Any suggestions or critiques? Not limited to the shadows, of course. Also, I haven't added events yet, so there's no door.

parallax sarah shop.png

Amy Pond, AllyJamy, c0sa and 5 others like this.
  2. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @TwelveBluebells: I'll be nitpicking, as always...

Regarding the shadows, there are some little things I can say: The shadows of the crosses from the tombs are detailed (you can see the shape) but not for the signpost below. I think it'll be best to blur the tombs ones. Winter sky is often filled with clouds or mist and the light doesn't make crisp shadows.

Also, the tree in the corner of the house is casting a shadow when the house behind it is higher, so the house should be the one casting a shadow. It may be possible to see the top of the tree's shadow, depending on the sun angle.

The log (on the right) would be better in my opinion if the shadow was made shorter. It's on the ground and not very high. Same for the bucket.

Even more nitpicking here (sorry) but on the left side of the house, just left of the leftmost window, this clear, white snow ground is asling to be in the shadow of the house as well. ;)

Apart from the shadows, I assume the missing door should be between the windows, so, unless it's uninhabited, the snow should not be clean because of the walking of the owner/visitors. Create a path leading to the door and the most commonly accessed areas.

You can also add smoke with an event on the chimney if there's someone inside.

Why is there a large stone area in the south-east? (the one without snow) Is it part of a very big road? I don't think it works as a ground for this kind of area.

TwelveBluebells likes this.
  3. Vandriette

Vandriette Dark King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is a final version of one of my maps, which WILL be featured in my full game, and I had it created with the sole intention of not modifying it further or considering improvements at the time of it's creation. I am looking for the fullest criticism possible. Also, this is how it looks in-game (shameless resolution advert)

Capture.PNG

4. Wookiee420

Wookiee420 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Akumai i really like it!!! but is it intentional that there is so much empty space? is there more map there? cause my eyes are draw to how much i'm not looking at, if that makes sense. and it makes what is there tiny feeling...that said i really like that room, i like the colors and the design. however the lighting in general feels awkward, with the lamps and the candles it would be weird i feel like there should be another lamp between the windows, imagine if the table wasnt set you wouldnt be able to see in the middle of the room at night...also the windows looks a touch off the natural light going so bright above it, it almost looks like there is a lamp is above them.....again critical critic aside, i really like it

5. Vandriette

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, I am looking for criticism. Up until you mentioned it, I can see the space you are talking about. The lighting comes from the fact that outside the room itself isn't exactly a normal place, which is why i have the lighting looking like that. When I first made the map I assumed it needed no improvement, but eventually I figured that perhaps maybe it needed touches somewhere, so I decided to post it here and see what others had to say.

EDIT: By more space, are you actually referring to the black space surrounding the map? There is a reason that space is out there, but it has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the map. I thought you were referring to the space around the table from left to right. I figured I'd put a rug there or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Akumai I have trouble believing the lighting.  You appear to have light streaming in from the windows - at least that's how I interpret the light source around them, plus candles and lamps.  If there's that much light coming from the windows, you wouldn't need the other.  Also, if that is light from the window, it's not very realistic.  It is unlikely that the wall above the windows would be as brightly lit as the wall below it.  It looks like a round blodge of light, rather than a more angled light coming through an opening.  Both lamps at the sides are throwing light onto the floor round the corner, as it were - difficult to put this into words.  It is especially clear on the left side lamp.  There should be no illumination on the floor next to the wall that runs up to the back wall, because light would not bend to go round a corner.

7. Vandriette

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I seem to be having difficulty understanding your post, except for the part where the light is as bright above the windows as below it. I can modify the lighting, as all of that is the overlay, though, of course, I didn't put the map together myself, so any issues regarding lighting I'd have to forward to the person who created the map

8. TwelveBluebells

First Language:
    English
    @cabfe

Nitpicks are quite fine, and I found yours to be very helpful! Thank you. I've fixed up my shadows, and you've given me some good tips to keep in mind. I realise now that the shadow of the tree by the house was one of the things that was bothering me. The house is actually uninhabited, and has been for a long while, so the snow has covered up any signs of human life. I like the suggestion about the smoke! The character lights a fire in the house later, so I'll do that.

As for the stone area, I actually meant for that to be the shore of frozen pond, that's why that bucket was there. It hadn't even occurred to me that those tiles were anything but frozen water, but now that you've pointed it out, I see that they're actually the stone path with snow. *facepalm* I've looked through the other snow and ice dungeon tiles, but I'm not really fond of any of them. Do you have any suggestions?

[​IMG]

SoSick. and StrawberrySmiles like this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Akumai  

• The top arrows point to the area of the wall which would be unlikely to be lit up by the windows, particularly as the shadows of the window bars indicate that light is falling from above.
    • The bottom arrows point to areas which appear to be lit up by the lamps beside them - but light cannot bend round a corner like that, so these should not be there.
    • With all that light coming in through the windows, why do you have candles and lamps also lit, especially as the windows would suggest that this is during the day.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  10. Naroah

Naroah Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    @Sated Y'know, I actually forgot I could event doors...

You were definitely right about how sporadic the town was, too. I get this weird feeling sometimes that when things are uniform like that I should make it more random. I dunno, it's weird. So here's V2 of the map:

Map002.png

Added paths and a fence around the guild house. There's still some empty space, but I'm gonna fix that after I cool my mind down from this attempt. Also, I had no idea you could hybridize flowers by overlaying them. My florist got much better at his job.

11. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    simple but spooky

omg everyones maps are 100x better than mine lol

simplebutcreepy.png

The Art of Gaming likes this.
  12. Vandriette

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
     That house is mostly abandoned, and the lights being on inside are mostly the side effect of some kind of supernatural anomaly. Either than that, the other problems you pointed out I can see now, and can fix up pretty quickly

13. Fudge

Fudge Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Naroah the map is an improvement on the last one, things see much better structured and organised- however, it is still a bit too uniform. The houses are mostly identical, and I think that most of them should have more windows on them. The houses are also very much identical, in most villages, buildings are very different to each other- and lots of buildings are in L shapes, or rectangular and I think more than two of them would have another floor, even in the medieval setting (which I'm assuming is what it is.) I think that some more trees around the village would do it good as well. I get that this is a forest clearing, but most forest villages in games have trees in them, it gives the place more flavour and distinction and also adds more colour. I would keep the way the map is currently structured the same though- you've organised it very clearly, and as such we know which houses probably belong to the mayor, which ones are shops, etc.

14. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TwelveBluebells - I'm blown away by that beautiful snowy map of yours! It inspires me as one of my games starts on a snow-covered island. :D

15. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not used to snow maps so maybe someone can help you better with this, but maybe you could try the water tile (default Exterior tileset - row 2, column 3) and recolor the dirt around the water in snow white. And put this tile in a non-animated position in the tileset, since it's frozen.

Or simply find a winter tileset with a better visual.

16. TwelveBluebells

First Language:
    English
    @StrawberrySmiles Thank you so much! I've never been called an inspiration before. I hope to see some of your screenshots!

I've replaced the stone with some desaturated water (and I can't help but share my improved version). Now it looks more like ice, haha. Now I just have to do that with another map I had "ice" on. Thank you @cabfe for your help!

[​IMG]

Banquo, c0sa, RocketKnight and 5 others like this.
  17. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TwelveBluebells : Your map is nice, but I noticed something wrong on the walls of your house. Snow clearly appears on them, but we still see the line separating the wall from the ground. If snow was really partly climbing on the wall, we shouldn't see any separation between them and the ground.

18. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gomiamiheat6804 I think it would look a touch better if you used shift-click mapping to make it appear that the water is going under the walkways. Also, in sheet A5 there should be some like half-pieces that are intended to go under those types of tiles as supports or the bottom of it, however you want to call it.

Leon Kennedy likes this.
  19. Lustermx

Lustermx Veteran Veteran

The AD:Jungle was pre-released so I snagged it like a tramp on a packet of chips and tried it out! I absolutely love it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Banquo, c0sa, flirion and 15 others like this.
  20. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lustermx turning that cliff into a bridge is genius. The blending of all of the grass textures look really nice as well. What are those specks of white though? Is it rain?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2016
    Lustermx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.