Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyphli

Zyphli Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Always so many awesome maps here, it's intimidating to post (looks at Amy Pond's forest path again as I say that).

But then also nice to see improvements when someone takes advice, like the great improvements TimmyTheNerd has been making, and the new village looks nice.

Anyway, the updates Kaus has been doing to his Asteria tiles has inspired me into doing some mapping again so I've started developing a new city for my world.

Arriving in a new city.  With an orc freely wandering the streets?

[​IMG]

Inside the Dock Master's Office / Home.

[​IMG]

Primarily built with Kaus's Asteria Tiles, with some inclusions from Celianna's Tileset and Ancient Dungeons.

And a few of my own custom edits from Kaus and RTP.

alennor, RocketKnight, Nuxill and 3 others like this.
  2. VanillaBrocker

VanillaBrocker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    @Zyphli nah, mate, your maps are great! I really appreciate your maps aren't the kind of big empty maps. You're doing what I'm trying to do, keeping the maps comfy and interesting. I think you could improve the transition between the grey and green areas in the first one and don't mix many styles of tiles, but I really think you've made a very good job with your materals. Congratulations. :D

3. Hayato

Hayato Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just so much wow...

I can do this too! nope I can't T.T

Marquise* likes this.
  4. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Things are getting interesting...

Integrated IRC Chat

It needs a little more skinning work but as a proof of concept it's sound.

On the right is a user connected via a typical IRC client. This could be a player moderator, for example.

On the left is a user connected via the game.

[​IMG]

5. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    First floor of the Elder Adventurers' Academy.

[​IMG]

I tried to mix and match tilesets from High Fantasy 2 and High Fantasy 1 Remastered in order to get stuff needed for the academy. Sadly, I was unable to get any chairs in the tiles and when I try to Frankenstein the tilesets, the background remains black and is now longer invisible in RPG Maker.

EDIT:
    Also, not sure if any of you notice, I tend to do better with interiors than exteriors.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
    RocketKnight likes this.
  6. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TimmyTheNerd for the black background, might be that you are using an image editing software that doesn't handle transparency.

which soft are you using?

Now for the Academy, according to the size of your academy, Kitchen is way to small. Imagine if each space at the tables of the hall were filled? takes space and people to feed a community, specially as I would assume there is specific times for each meal, where all students will attend the meal.

for the combat training rooms, they are a bit small, so maybe it's only for theory training? In middle age settlements, training of troops was done outside, in the yard, whatever the weather. If there was a salle d'armes, it would be used for training officers or nobility.

Imagine someone swinging a broadsword in this room, they would hit the  walls :) Same goes for the magic room, would you let an apprentice fling fireballs in such a confined space?

There's a bit of a too much in the same space.

I would get a lower floor with the kitchen, granary, wine cellar (never forget the wine, it was safer to drink wine than water) and eventually infirmary, another floor with Library and dining hall (with a stair to the Kitchen) a Dorm floor above, and a teaching floor, with class room for magical and physical combat theory, a middle size salle d'armes for teacher and promising students practice, and the actual practical training and other happening outside (like in the Elder forest).

7. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    @Niten Ichi Ryu  I never thought of making an underground floor. To increase the above ground floors, I'll be editing the outdoor area as well to represent it. Initially I only figured on needing two floors.

The majority of staff for the academy live in the village just down the path of the academy. The only staff members who stay there 24/7 would be Headmaster Samson, Professor Sarina (Teaches magical combat courses and in charge of the female dorms) and Professor Throrin (As a dwarf, he is the only non-Human staff member. He teaches martial combat courses, specializing in tactics against goblins and orcs, and is in charge of the male dorms). The other staff members either own homes in the village or, in the case of the guards, stay in the village's guardhouse when off duty.

8. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TimmyTheNerd I would suggest you read a bit on medieval settlements architecture. below site is good for reference.

http://medievalcastles.stormthecastle.com/castle-floor-plans.htm

actual castle or keep architecture is really different than what the RM default map have :) . Not sure if there are castles in the US (maybe models, or reproduction), but I would suggest to visit one, or if possible attend an expo.

You might find also virtual castle visits on the web.

I know it's a bit of topic, but what about my question on your editing software?

9. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    @Niten Ichi Ryu 
    I am somewhat knowledgeable on settlements and such (spend several months just looking through pictures). Saddly, the closest thing we have where I live is victorian era architecture (we have a whole museum dedicated to it). I also DM games of Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder. The game I am making is based on the world of Gaia-Sol that I created to run the campaigns in. There's maybe...information formed over the last 13 years to be used for backstory, spanning across ten different campaigns.

As for the software, MS Paint. I normally don't have a problem with it, but back in August the PSU of my computer went out. I've been using my grandmother's computer since then. It's an old windows XP. Having Steam and RPG Maker on it nearly takes up all the free space on this thing. I have maybe 3.5gb left on it.

10. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MS paint does not handle transparency.

get yourself GIMP, it's free. If you add to it the GIMP layer plugin, it's like Photoshop.

11. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Amy Pond Your maps are beautiful! You've got some seriously good mapping skills, and you make good use of the graphic resources you've chosen. Thanks for sharing! I always look forward to seeing what you post next. Your maps inspire me to make my own look better.

Amy Pond likes this.
  12. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    The Evolution of Elder Village:
    Thought I would share this. It shows just how far I've come since starting this project back in 2012.

This is the first version of Elder Village from back when I was calling Elder Academy 'The Guild'.
    [​IMG]

The second version of Elder Village, following the same ideas as the first version. It felt much too small to me.
    [​IMG]

The third version of Elder Village from 2014. This is closer to the final version of Elder Village and was meant to be the true final version. When my computer's PSU went out last August, I lost almost my entire progress with my game. This screenshot is all I have left of this version of the game. This version of the town features the Academy (The wide building in the upper right corner), an Armorer and Clothier shop, the Weaponsmith, an Alchemist/Apothecary, an Inn/Diner, Nine Homes and a Farm.
    [​IMG]

c0sa and Banquo like this.
  13. Kaus

Kaus The Sagittarius Bearer Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Making Interior designing less squary.

[​IMG]

14. TimmyTheNerd

First Language:
    English
    First of three overworlds used for a more traditional RPG maker game I am working on when I get burned out from my primary project.
    This is the Kingdom of Estril
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Note - Both games take place in the same world. Just one is more JRPG style while the other is aimed to be more Western RPG.

15. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SoraNoYosuga - You may want to reduce the font size on your menu options. The words look squished together and I think it would look more organized if they were sitting on the same straight line instead of jumbled up.

16. Zyphli

Zyphli Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback.  For the transition between gray and green, are you talking about the dock itself with the hard edges, or the roads where the grass is encroaching on the edges and growing between the bricks?  This made me look again, and I did go back and add a slight shadow at the right edge of the dock to improve the impression that it is sitting slightly higher above the grass level, which is why grass isn't growing over the edges of it like it does the roads.

[​IMG]

As far as styles, is something clashing that I'm not seeing because I've looked at it so much?

The only thing I know of that is an issue right now is the Chest event in the second floor of the building which I haven't decided yet if I want to try to edit, or leave it standing out yelling "Over Here, Open Me!".  I do realize that Ancient Dungeons is a clashing style in general, but I find using it for clutter items or its flowers (which are what I'm using here) fits in well - especially since its Ace clutter in MV which means the flowers aren't as big as the player.  To me, Kaus's stuff blends perfectly with RTP.

17. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Made this in a separate map for testing purposes. This mansion is supposed to be in the map I showed off earlier. It was abandoned several years ago, due to a disturbance in the nearby mine scaring everyone away, and it's rather dilapidated. You gain the house as a quest reward, and it gets fixed over the course of the game. The house/environment around the house has an alchemy lab, a forge, a farming area, and of course, the mine itself. I also plan this to be like my characters's homebase, so this will be a place where you can interact with everyone outside of plot related stuff. Granted, at least for the first game, there's only four members of The Band, but hey whatcha gonna do?

18. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's been a while since I used RPG Maker. I've been playing around with it since last week. :)

[​IMG]

Here's the kitchen. Wonder which one should I go with?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing is, the game's plot will eventually progress to night time. Not sure if I can just leave the windows like that, and play around with the tint setting, or should I do something else? :p

RocketKnight likes this.
  19. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    A "destroyed" version of the map I posted before:

2016_6_3_13_36_11_48_200.png

As comparism, again the other map:

2016_5_23_14_1_38_771_3931.png

I feel like the destroyed version still needs some improvements, but I'm not experienced with these kind of maps, so.. except for replacing some tiles, not sure what else to do :x

20. VanillaBrocker

VanillaBrocker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    @Zyphli Maybe it's me. I thought the pots, in the interior map, for example, were from a tileset other than the floor's. The bed too. But maybe it's just me, sorry.

About the grass~tile transition, I've made a quick gif of what would be better (in my personal opinion):

[​IMG]

BUT, I didn't knew it was on a higher ground, so, maybe I'm wrong again! Hahaha!  :D

@Kaus Great, as always! Good work, dude!

@TimmyTheNerd I think the roads are toooooooo loooooong, linear and unattractive. Also, if there's some random encounters there, things can get boring.

@Mr. Detective Aren't the couches and the table huge? Also, the chairs look pretty far from the table, in the kitchen. Other than that, everything looks pretty.

@Henryetha What have you done with your beautiful map?  :(  Haha! I think the dead bushes are very repetitive and if you could find some other dead bushes tiles you could make things more interesting. Maybe some cracks at the walls made some difference, too!

Henryetha, Chaos Avian and Kyuukon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.