Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@MIst87 It's a height thing.  The second tier of your top building is 2 tiles high at the front.  However, at the back it only reaches one tile high against the orange brick towers, making it look like it's sloping, which it can't do.  You also undermine the illusion of depth a bit on the middle house on the left.  You have put a hole in the wall, and that is fine, that's where it's meant to go.  But when you reuse it on the right side of the house, it goes up over the roof, and because it doesn't change angle, the way it would if that roof was really sloping, you make it look flat.  Maybe just use the bottom half of that hole on the wall and leave out the top part?

@Quigon I like that very much.  I'm glad you decided to leave the character as a silhouette, it is indeed evocative, especially with the lighted tip of the ciggie. 

MIst87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 Thanks for the feedback!  Changes will be done.  And yeah, I'll definitely keep the bottom hole and eliminate the top.  Man, stepping into an artist's shoes requires an entirely different train of thought. 

YEEART

Super Highschool Level...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Screenshot_38.png

I'm starting to really love those cinematic bars for cutscenes. Really helps for greater immersion within the scene. However, it's fairly hard to see in this screenshot as it's intentionally dark to partially hide the identity of the speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, it's pretty dang dark in there, but I guess it's not that big of a deal if it's just a cutscene. It's a cool shot though! It actually reminds me of one of the games I'm working on.

So, it's been ages since I used the MACK tiles (like back to my veeery early RM days when I was a professional procrastinator). I've now returned to the tiles, as I am planning to use them for my a BIG project I'm planning. Please note that I am aware of the rubble error at the left; I'm just too lazy to make another screenshot ATM.

Yeah, the world/setting for this game is going to be pretty crazy, so don't give too much thought as to how there's a dead tree growing from a cave wall. This is also just a quick test map. I'll try my best to make a lot of edits/recolors to the graphics later on when I'll really get down to clown business with this project. Hehehe, did I just say "clown"? Hohoho...

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Luiishu535 It's the roof.  I know that a lot of people have done roofs like that, but it grates every time I see it.  The slanted roof starts off reasonably enough, but then proceeds to climb up the main roof instead of the two edges meeting at gutter level.  Roofs simply do not join on like that.  Have a look at Candacis' Resources, she has a lot of roofs like that, but joining correctly (usually free for commercial, if you ask her first), or you can just look to see how she did hers and replicate them for yourself.  They are all in the first spoiler on her thread.

Vassim74

It's a Secret!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ksjp17 Thanks for the feedback! I forgot to take wagons into consideration because I only had wheel carts at the time, but I've since made accommodations for them. I will add one in somewhere later once I can find a graphic resource for it since I'm not very good at making and editing my own (wheel cart is an example of this, as well as the market stall I edited from RMXP).

I've reworked my town map a bit after finding some tileset addons I wanted, so I would like another opinion on it. It's still not done as there are a few other parts of town that I need to make still, but here's what I have so far.

(Right Click > View Image to make it larger)

Ursa Koda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Samoan
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ Ursa, your map is nice, but I find the tiles graphics clash a little with the PV hf sprites. The shop stalls and the well are smaller tjan a char.

vegetation isn't really the shocking part, but it's the buildings. Size and look seem off.
Thanks for good input. However if I was going for realism per se, i would build games in a 3D engine :D

Though in principal I agree. The houses are bigger on the inside on this particular map test.

I like the HF sprites, the original character  style is not my style, not for this game anyways.

Here is the original vx pyramid redone with celiannas dungeon tileset. Fun stuff, the map making!

I think everybody trying to make game and maps etc, does good. Better than wasting time in front of the TV-God anyway!

Good or bad game, doesnt matter, what matters is heart.

lanosoutside-work-screen.png

Ursa Koda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Samoan
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ksjp17 Thanks for the feedback!  Changes will be done.  And yeah, I'll definitely keep the bottom hole and eliminate the top.  Man, stepping into an artist's shoes requires an entirely different train of thought. 
Great mindset you have, friend! Keep it up! Evolve the brain!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ursa Koda, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Ursa Koda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Samoan
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ursa Koda, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.
What now? I was told 2 hours ago not to double post. I haven't done it again ;) The post was merged by another mod. Good advice, though a little on the late side. Thanks.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ursa, its not a matter of realism or 3d it's more of coherent resources. PV characters resources simply clash with non PV tilesets. Even if your houses were bigger, windows and door frames are not scaling and it seems off.

I do love the PV stuff, I use that too. But even if you use quality resources (PV and Celi's) they don't mesh together.

Ursa Koda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Samoan
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ursa, its not a matter of realism or 3d it's more of coherent resources. PV characters resources simply clash with non PV tilesets. Even if your houses were bigger, windows and door frames are not scaling and it seems off.

I do love the PV stuff, I use that too. But even if you use quality resources (PV and Celi's) they don't mesh together.
Well, now I regret showing any work ideas in progress, so that is the last from me you will see until gamerelease!

I know what I am working on, and how it is going to be evolving. I just say let's agree to disagree. If I like it, I make it.

In a couple of years my game will be finished, if something doesn't seem to 'mesh together' good now;

tiles are beeing worked on. I am too old to be told what should and should not be together.

And my wife is the best critic!

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I dont really see any issue with the map by @Ursa Koda  I kinda like it.  But pay me no attention, I dont really have an artistic eye.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple feedback. If you don't want feedback, dont post indeed.

no one is too old for feedback. Claiming this and talking about jealousy...? Bit childish isn't it :)

have fun, see you in couple of years then...

Ursa Koda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Samoan
Primarily Uses
N/A
Simple feedback. If you don't want feedback, dont post indeed.

no one is too old for feedback. Claiming this and talking about jealousy...? Bit childish isn't it :)

have fun, see you in couple of years then...
Couldn't agree more, and thank you very much!

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am parallaxing some as I want "less of an 8 bit era feeling and more into newer styles".  I am testing things with a forest battle background (from XP).  In the first one, it is full parallax, but in the second one, I am mixing and matching with tilesets (Many dungeons will be done with tilesets not everything is parallax, a bit like Suikoden Tierkreis, some areas were pre-rendered, others were tiles).

Yes, I know, the tileset one feels empty, I have to fill it up.  Just testing for now.

Which you like more?

test_rpg1.png

test_rpg2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have a specialized class on intellectual property this semester (on Patent and Trademarks, Copyrights is next semester). Only had a quick overview of that in previous business law classes. I'll be able to help more people here when it comes to knowing what to do and your rights for intellectual property!
When you wanna write another pedantic post of your views on game dev... but your cousin and aunt have invited you to bowling
"Hey there! Hope you're having a nice day, you are awesome!"

(Of course the hand is awful :kaoswt: )
I need a new option on YouTube that goes "Dont recommend videos/channels in this language because I do not speak it"
I've reconsidered having a subclass system for my first two games since there will already be plenty of variation in playable actors and usable items in the games. The third game will need it because of the basis for the story but I want the actors in the first two to be more focused in their roles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meektot