Not open for further replies.

Dragonspeech

Lady Dragoness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Caramell These are so cute the houses definitely looked well lived in! In the first map I do see the weirdness on the elevation too, but it looks like you had only forgotten the other half of the elevation by the two bottom houses. It is hard to show such a steep slope down from that higher cliff. The best way to remedy that, I have found would be to add some stairs down to the 'lower level', and move the house with the garden possibly downward so the sprite can walk around to and from them, or as suggested - shorten the height and put space behind those trees for a gentler and more readable hilly/slope. Experiment and see what works with you! There's no right or wrong way about it. <3 You can redo the map. The roofing is quite fine I think, I have seen irl houses with similar roofing - a flattened top, Victorian edging almost. Its an architectural style.

The second two, I find the walls a little bit too unnaturally shaped, though you've got the right idea of being more organic and less squared! And something else but I'm not quite sure to put my finger on it. A suggestion would be to remember that its an angled... above view of the characters as if you've taken off the roof, but you know the outline of the roof is still there. I think. 

Caramell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Dragonspeech Yeah the walls on the houses.....I was just hoping for the best on that one lol and Thanks for your Feedback :)

Caramell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OK!, I finished re-creating the Village map! Your thoughts? (also not the whole map is in the shot but you can get an idea of what it is)

Screenshot (17).png

Why is the house glitching up? it looked fine in the editor!

Dragonspeech

Lady Dragoness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Caramell, well glitching aside, that's a wonderful job! Practice makes perfect. I am inspired to keep on working with my mapping and I may post another if I get some headway and need more advice.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A good start, but you need to learn shift-click mapping to adjust a few small issues. The top-left house has roof edge tiles in the middle of the roof. The cliff around the top-right house has a curved top, yet it goes straight down to a square bottom. Also, path exists where people regularly tread down the grass, so it would continue right up to the door. In the lower-right, the trees dangling off the edge of the cliff are impossible. The stairs just above the box of carrots denote a change in elevation, yet you can walk around them while remaining at the same elevation. Why is produce and firewood stored outdoors? Why does anyone have firewood at all, when no-one has a chimney?

Caramell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A good start, but you need to learn shift-click mapping to adjust a few small issues. The top-left house has roof edge tiles in the middle of the roof. The cliff around the top-right house has a curved top, yet it goes straight down to a square bottom. Also, path exists where people regularly tread down the grass, so it would continue right up to the door. In the lower-right, the trees dangling off the edge of the cliff are impossible. The stairs just above the box of carrots denote a change in elevation, yet you can walk around them while remaining at the same elevation. Why is produce and firewood stored outdoors? Why does anyone have firewood at all, when no-one has a chimney?

In my last post I said i fixed the roof tile issue and yeah I was thinking about removing the trees and extending the path. And also the reason why there are produce and firewood outdoors is because I was trying to go for a trading village look (a village where they trade goods to other towns,villages, and kingdoms) so that is why there outside and the change of elevation the stairs go downward and and the boxes are down on the hill. Yeah and I was thinking about adding chimneys too. Thanks alot for the feed back! I probably wouldn't have thought twice about some of those things. :)  @Aoi Ninami

Last edited by a moderator:

Caramell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok! I made some slight changes.

Screenshot (18).png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Caramell, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to add something, just use the Edit button to add it to your last post.

Bricabrac

The Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok! I made some slight changes.

View attachment 49328

The bottom and the left house almost touching each other feel really weird - this gives the eye the impression the roof and the wall behind are on the same level, flattening your perspective.

I'd advise against making the bottom house taller, for it would make the road/passage much less clear. Majbe just move it a title downward?

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Luiishu535 Heh. I am not totally sure what I am cooking up myself either. :p    Experimenting a bit for now.

@GameFire  Nice church.  I am only worried that the people sitting down may get some neck ache after a while from looking so far up during a ceremony (kinda like when sitting in the first few rows in a movie theater).  But I'm also not sure what to suggest, either. :)  

@Bric-à-brac  Your town map looks interesting overall. :)   But I am not sure about the northeast house, with the dirt road leading to its door.  The house is on an elevated location, but the road does not reflect this.  My two cents.

Skriddle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Abandoned Cave.

TBIGuA1.png

Is this a freely available tileset? This dark look is nice.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pretty certain that's the Ancient Dungeons set, with lighting effects or overlays of some sort. So, no, not free.

Lustermx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
It's not Ancient Dungeons, but the tiles have been edited quite a bit for use in Parallax Mapping.

The water is from Celianna's old farm tiles, the rowing boat is Pandamaru's, the boat on land is from Lunarea's coastal tiles.

I'm unsure about the mountain/cliff tiles, the grass or the well tiles but it's not AD. I think it's all available for free non-commerical use. 

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Bric-à-brac and @Skriddle

Please do not quote images - see the opening post of this thread for rules and guidelines for posting here.

Would you please put those images in spoilers.

Also - please do not quote whole posts to indicate who you are answering, it makes loading the page and scrolling down it much slower, and is especially difficult for anyone accessing this on their phone.  If you want to make it clear who you are replying to, just use the @username convention, as I have done on this post.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've just finished organizing music files from a music Humble Bundle I purchased a while ago (putting in specific themed playlists, deleting from playlists, deciding which games they'll be used for. etc.). I'm feeling pretty confident that the sound design for my games will be up to high standards. Sound design seems to be relatively under-discussed as a topic in game development imo.
So I just got back from SeaWorld and I'm back to working on my game. I'm stuck on Shadowstar, mainly due to needing two more princesses... I have all the canon and toy princesses, plus Sunset Shimmer just for kicks. I decided not to include Cadence since this isn't in that era. But... I'm going to have to design two OCs now.
I'm completely missing on this site :kaodes: How's everybody doing lately?
3dlm3XK.jpg
I'm looking at/working through a simple game tutorial. Town, dungeon, boss; town, dungeon, boss; etc. (Thanks, Yanfly!) I'm itching to make something complex but experience (and past disappointment!) tell me to go slow and learn.

Rome certainly wasn't built in a day. 〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
SF_People1_2 added!
index.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loowa