Name

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HexMozart88   It's not actually 3d. I was attempting to style like Celianna so it can match the tiles and characters. I just drew the picture with the pencil tool in Clip Paint Studio, and shaded it with a soft brush. :)

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
@BloodletterQ, Thanks for input, that's why it doesn't progress more than a mockup. Might develop to put in clearer indication for interactable point if I'm going further with it!

Now enough business with that messy one. More city scene from Hotdawg, accepting some lurking quest from this Bat-Looking-Man XD

2016-10-13 11_29_51-HotDawg RPG.jpg

tlbearer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm trying to figure out which style of maps that I have created I like better before I decide to fully convert my one project from VX Ace to MV. Let me know which you like better.

VX Ace

MV

Last edited by a moderator:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I prefer the Ace version, though I may be somewhat biased. The sprites in the MV version look too small and awkward, but other than that, they basically look the same. 

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There's not actually a lot of difference between them.  I do think, though, that both versions are weakened by the same thing - lots of open space doing nothing.  I would suggest making the internal maps in particular a lot smaller.

SlySlySly

Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've been working on my game! Here is some world map stuff.

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.10.09 AM.png

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just trying to get my parallax skills up with the Medieval packs from PVGames. I've made maybe three maps. I think the blending of the ground is coming together well enough. I finally figured out that layering out each part(dirt, grass, then other dirt color, then road) and using a low opacity  eraser on the layer you want to blend with the ground below it  works out nicely. I know it isn't particularly exciting, but I'd rather practice and get it done right than release a sub-par game because the maps were amateur level garbage that were rushed through. 

My own criticism is that the right hand side could use some things. It's not nearly as busy as the left side. I got lazy and just decided to say, "screw it, I'll just post it for now". Also, no there is no door on that building. It would be an animated event in-game so I didn't bother.

Mapping_Test1.jpg

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@PsychicToasterNice seeing some PV Games resources. I'm not very confident about parallax mapping (although I will be using the doodads.) Nice and simple though for starting out. Do you think that these resources require parallax mapping? 

Of course, if you plan to expand on this map, you may want to think of adding a lake. I think of this map of more of an inn along the road.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@PsychicToasterNice seeing some PV Games resources. I'm not very confident about parallax mapping (although I will be using the doodads.) Nice and simple though for starting out. Do you think that these resources require parallax mapping? 

Of course, if you plan to expand on this map, you may want to think of adding a lake. I think of this map of more of an inn along the road.
Hey heeeeey, an inn along the road is precisely what this scene was meant to be ^^. Glad it was obvious, because I was wondering to myself, "will people even know what this is?". A lake would be a perfect addition to this, I'll have to give that a go. Only problem is, I forgot to save my file as PSD since I didn't actually intend to use it. I'll have to make it again, but it shouldn't take long. The image size itself will need to increase to fit the lake into it anyway, so not a big deal. Practice is wonderful.

I think the Medieval resources do require a degree of parallax mapping, yes. It's inevitable for placement of the large buildings to work, unless the Yanfly Doodads plugin will let you place those as well. I have yet to try it out. I spent about four hours getting all of Yanfly's plugins installed and set up properly last night, and I decided I needed a break from playing around with the editor to practice mapping, as well as designing my character classes and skills. Quite honestly, it isn't as hard as I thought it would be to parallax. There are some things that are difficult to set up in terms of perspective, like the castle walls and towers, but this scene took little under an hour to pull off, distractions and all. 

I highly recommend watching this series: 

and this one: 

Between the both of these, you should have a solid understanding of how to do some things. Hopefully you know GIMP or Photoshop(the videos use Photoshop, but it can be done in either one). The difference for me here is I start with a completely blank image file in Photoshop, paint the ground textures, and start adding things to it. It's a total pain in the neck but I don't want to use a base from the MV editor. I much prefer full control over everything I'm doing. If I have to change something, it's far easier to delete or edit a layer than it is to edit a screenshot of a map that I pasted into Photoshop. 

Thanks for the feedback, friend. 

Vassim74

It's a Secret!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@tlbearer I personally prefer MV, but that's probably because everything in VX Ace appears so small now when I went back to look at it. And also because 48x48 tiles allows more room for additional details.

I'm mostly finished with the central city of my project now and will continue to polish it as needed. Would like to know what you guys think. Remember to Right Click > View Image to see a larger version of it.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Solwern too large. That'll probably create too much lag. Plus the last one is all trees. Looks a little... sloppy is not really the word, but... It looks like you ran out of ideas for what to put on the path and just said, "You know what, I'm just going to throw a bunch of trees on here to fill up space." 

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Solwern It doesn't look natural enough. There is something VERY important you need to learn early on, and that's the 3 tile rule (suggestion). Never put three of the same exact tiles right next to each other in a straight line. You gotta' have curves, just like nature. Of course, there are obvious exceptions to this rule, like when you have man-made structures like roads. Those should be as straight and to the point as possible. But when making cliffs, or nature paths, or forest openings, they need to be less perfect. The section in the top left of your forest map illustrates this pretty well. I'd like to see the whole map looking like that! I do like how you have decided to use normal trees instead of the tree wall tile, I've never been a big fan of that thing.

The first map has some good randomicity, but it's a little too spread out in my opinion. Try layering some trees over one another and putting clusters of flowers and bushes together. I would also apply the 3 tile rule to this map as well, make sure you cliffs are curvy. The grass here looks fairly good, though.

Just like Hex said, I would try to make them smaller. The only way your player is going to enjoy playing your game if the maps are this big is if you have LOTS of stuff to do in them. And not just random encounters. Secrets, treasure, NPCs, wildlife, enemies on the maps themselves, etc. If you can't make a game with that much stuff to do I would heavily advise cutting down on the size of these maps dramatically, or at least splitting them up into multiple maps. It could cause lag too, so just be aware of that.

Here is a map I posted on my profile already, but people seem to like it so I figured I would post it here too. It's a mountain map I worked on for at least 15 hours. It leads up to a volcano (of which I've posted some screenshots before), and the path up top leads to a resort in the mountains further up. I haven't added any events yet, but there will be treasure, and enemies (since we're going for a Super Mario RPG-type approach on those).

I'm thinking of changing the bridge to something else to enter the volcano. Someone was banished there long ago and I'm not exactly sure there would be a bridge just going straight into it. Any ideas?

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks a TON for the feedback, definitely going to naturalize my maps a bit more and that mountain map by @Prescott gives me some ideas. Gonna repost once I have some things added and changed.

Also, what about these?

Map054.png

Map068.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~
Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.
2020 has started off pretty stressful for me, but no need to fear. I have my mood fixer:

Have you appreciated a Hedgehog today?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sonive