Game & Map Screenshots 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    New overworld. Decided to try and have the game feature all three realms that will be mentioned in lore. This is the map of Estril, a kingdom that features mountain ranges and forests heavily. To the north is Euthania, a desert region. North of Euthania is the frozen north of the continent, a land called Eriat. There will be a total of four overworld maps if everything works as planned. Estril, Euthania, Eriat and then the flying island of Eden.

[​IMG][​IMG]

New Everspring Village, using suggestions made by @SamGreen

Now, it is nearing 5am here. I'm going to head to bed. Will read more suggestions, if any come, after waking up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
    Banquo and SamGreen like this.
  2. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SamGreen Yeah, that rocky area needed some color to break it up. I think a few trees look good, but you're right about there being no soil to grow in. I'll see if I can put down a few small grassy or dirt spots around them, so it makes more sense. Thanks!

SamGreen likes this.
  3. Kaus

Kaus The Sagittarius Bearer Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Dinner with the Prince and Princess

[​IMG]

@SamGreen

I think it would make more sense if the roof is connected like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SamGreen I tweaked my mountain terrain a bit. Thanks for your tip! Adding a bit of dry grass on the top of the rocks helps establish the idea that there's some soil that something can grow in, so the trees don't look totally out of place now. Thanks!

[​IMG]

And here's another screen grab showing a little more of the area. I was playing around with the mountain tiles today to see what kinds of interesting terrain I could create with them...

[​IMG]

5. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

So, wanted to try out the Time Fantasy pack.  Here's a town that's supposed to be situated in a forest, just south of some mountains.   Haven't populated it yet but, thoughts? Any glaring things I could improve upon?  Feedback much appreciated, especially from people who have experience using the Time Fantasy tiles!

TF_town.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. SamGreen

SamGreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kaus

Very atmospheric, I love the lighting. The only problem I can see with it is such a minor one that I wouldn't even worry about it - the characters are sitting a bit too low in the seats but if you haven't parallaxed (I'm assuming you haven't?) then there's nothing much you can really do about that.

@GolfHacker

Love it, I like the way you've done the terrain, you see some people map mountainy areas in such plain ways, having only one or two levels whereas you've broken it up quite a lot, making it look a lot more real. Also, that's one of the better looking, more natural waterfalls I've seen in someone's maps as well.

@jonthefox

I'm not familiar with the tiles you're using thus I can't suggest any features you could add to your maps. Regardless, I think the map's near perfect, very simplistic but it gets the job done. I am worried however, about that bridge to nowhere on the right there, why would they build a bridge unless there was something worth accessing on the other side? Unless you're going to populate that area or something? Even then, it seems a little pointless. From a completely aesthetic viewpoint, the bridge looks fine. Finally, to the right of the grey building on the far left of the map, there's a tree that's overlapping the top right corner of it which I think's a little odd. personally, I'd had the house overlapping the tree.

GolfHacker likes this.
  7. esby

esby eejit Veteran

@jonthefox I'm not a fan of every house being identical, it just makes everything seem very forgettable, mix up the shapes and sizes a little. I think the path needs some work as it looks very artificial right now and there's a couple areas where you've thrown in bends that make no sense. I'd think about using dirt around the entrances to the houses rather than the odd looking slither of grass you have the now. It's hard to tell because the map is zoomed out but it doesn't look like you've used any of the variations of the grass tile and the cliffs tiles almost vanish into the map, I'd suggest playing around with different surfaces and levels. The grey building could use some shift clicking to get rid of some visible edges.

I have a map using TF that I could use as an example for a few things. Mainly the dirt around the house where people would be walking, the use of the varied grass tiles available and how you could make the map look a little more mountainous.

jonthefox and SamGreen like this.
  8. Selhan

Selhan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    @jonthefox I fully agree with @esby

Here is a try I madewith this tileset.

This ressource pack is definitely great but hard to use without parallax (and I don't do parallax :() as you have to deal with tuff overlapping issues.

Havremer.png

Luiishu535, Candacis, c0sa and 8 others like this.
  9. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Working on the mansion...

10. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Those Time Fantasy maps look great. I almost feel they need to be simpler though. The thing with those style of graphics is they're designed to be undetailed, like the old Pokemon games. For example because the dirt doesn't blend seamlessly into the grass, I would keep it blocky, and keep it connected together to show where roads are.

Here's a screen from me.

[​IMG]

I have replaced the message system with my own, using PHP. It has various bbcode style things to control what goes on.

The red text there is a hyperlink which opens the side user guide window on that page.

[text] creates that link with the name "Text" and shows the little icon to show it's a link.

*text* shows a face of the name text.png.

{text} shows a picture inline with the name text.png (the speech bubble is an example, I know it's the same as the others).

|text| creates a title or name in bold.

`text` creates italicised text.

% creates a line break.

Unsure about the continue button. Might change it.

That window is usually the chat window. When a message is shown it first shows the chat window if you've hid it. Then it replaces its contents temporarily with this. Finally it puts back the chat window and then closes it if you had it closed beforehand.

I can essentially put any html I want in the message box. I could put input controls, I could put PHP generated text, I could put additional buttons. Show choices isn't a fixed thing - I can do options however I want. The message box can even have a scroll bar if I need to show a lot of information.

11. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @JKawaiiExcellent use of that tileset. :) I remember those from years ago. Ah, brings back memories. :p

@Little Adventurer I'm... not exactly sure what you are trying to do here. You're trying to make a mansion in medieval setting, right? OK. What are those 4 stone-like things at the entrance? And what are those white tiles supposed to be? Is that room on the left supposed to be a dinning room? Maybe make a kitchen in there as well. Unless it has some sort of story-related purpose, cut back all of empty spaces on the sides, and redo the paths. Make the roof of the dinning room higher, and have the path in the middle lead directly into the room. That way, you can remove that useless empty space in between them. Don't forget to add windows as well. Good luck with such a map. It will take a lot of time and effort, so I hope this is an important map for the game. :D

Anyway, here is my progress so far. ;)

[​IMG]

The image on the TV will change over the course of the game. The pictures could be Donald Trump, Bruce Lee, or screenshots from games, like Tales and Mega Man. Unfortunately, I have to change individual tile event manually, and only after the player gets past a certain point in the story. I can't make it change randomly just by having the players enter or leaving the room. It's alright for a short game, I guess. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to make the kitchen a little bit bigger. Those seats will be filled by all the characters. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to make this game for my friend's birthday. Hope she won't think it's weird... [​IMG]

12. SamGreen

SamGreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Little Adventurer

You might think it a huge pain, but I would split all of that up into several maps. It's quite frankly, just too big. Indoor open space gets very tired and boring, very quick. I don't know what you're planning to do with the two great halls on either side of the map, but neither one of them needs to be that big in my opinion. Even if one were supposed to be, for example, a ball room of sorts, it's going to be near impossible to add any detail without it looking monotonous, or just plain. I may seem a bit harsh, but I would consider killing your darlings with regards to having one large map. Consider splitting it up into a map for each room, it also gives you an opportunity to switch up your floor tiles. That way, you give the impression that the mansion is a lot bigger than what you actually see.

With regards to the room on the bottom left, if anyone were to actually sit and eat there, it would be terribly cramped and uncomfortable, consider giving the room a one-tile extra perimeter. The middle room has a lot of empty space as well, which is quite tedious. The bottom set of busted pillars, in my opinion, shouldn't be there either. If this were real life, they would be pushed further back to press against the walls, thus only the tops of the pillars would be where your bottoms are, but since you don't have tops... Consider using some pillars and seats that aren't busted, who's to say that all of them would corrode as quickly as the rest of them? Also, what kind of mansion is this that a couple of stone pillars couldn't last the years but a plant could no bother?

@Amy Pond

Blows my mind everything that you do. I wouldn't have had a problem with the continue button if you didn't tell us that you were doubting it haha
    Can I make a mapping suggestion? Maybe you could make that archway higher by 16 pixels if you can? I don't think it's a problem at all, I only notice these things because I'm freakishly tall in real life and think about these things haha

@Mr. Detective

Aren't you a QT, making a game for your friend's birthday! The maps themselves are quite cute as well, they're not my favourite but I like them. In the first map that you posted, where does the exit to the bottom of the map lead to? The one with the swanky red carpet? Because if it's the exit out of the house/the entrance into the house, I wouldn't want anyone coming into my house with their muddy shoes and messing up my swanky red carpet. Aesthetically it looks fine, and maybe that's the reason you used it, but practically it doesn't.

@Kaus

Thanks for the roof thing, sorry I didn't thank you before, I've just seen it, and you're so right!

Amy Pond likes this.
  13. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Yeah the archway needs to be significantly bigger - especially when you see the size of the carts that have to go through it. Will probably be removed and replaced with a toll booth.

Implemented choices properly now as now they're a bit more structured. I can throw images in still anywhere I want, so I can give each choice an icon, like so:

[​IMG]

Messages and choices are no longer controlled by the keyboard (on purpose).

What happens when you press continue? It calls the default option, which could be anything I define it as.

14. Heretic86

Heretic86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    Basic room in XP testing a Dynamic Lighting script I am working on...

[​IMG]

(Animated gif so give it a moment to load...)

The transition from day to night here is done very quick just to show the changes that can occur gradually over a much more natural time frame.  I am stuck working on a .dll for bitmap rotation if anyone wants to offer a hand...

15. BigToastie

BigToastie Veteran Veteran

Its my first time uploading some pictures but really want to see what people think that needs changing etc.

So in the spoilers there is currently a half complete largemap, and the completed map is the south connecting map (they do line up in the game its just the zoom % to take the screenshot that have staggered the connections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was using the default tileset :)

Amy Pond likes this.
  16. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have to remind people to place large images, as well as multiple images, behind a spoiler tag please. Let's not make people browsing the thread have to scroll endlessly.

Mizuki-chan likes this.
  17. BigToastie

BigToastie Veteran Veteran

@Amy PondI have to agree with the above, I look forward to what you are going to post here next as all your screenshots are just amazing :)

18. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *sigh* And here I thought I was actually getting good at interior mapping...

Frogboy likes this.
  19. SamGreen

SamGreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Little Adventurer

Hey man, don't taking it personally, and don't get discouraged. Practice makes perfect. And do remember, it is just my opinion.

@BigToastie

I think it's coming along gorgeously. I think the cliffy part in the top map looks a bit too manufactured. Maybe make it a bit more sporadic? Much like what you've done with the trees. Don't forget your shadows by the side of the cliff area (is it a cliff? haha, I don't know what to call it...)

@Heretic86

Gorgeous work, I'd say move the candle's light up a bit though since no light's being shown above it.

Me personally, I've been working on making my own edits/tiles that people can use while I plod along doing parallax mapping for my own projects. For example, this turret thingy. It's nothing spectacular but if I made quite a few more edits like I've done with this, do you think it would be worth putting them in a resource showcase?

[​IMG]

GolfHacker likes this.
  20. Luke•°

Luke•° ★✮✭✩✭✮★ Member

Valley road.

[​IMG]

cekobico, Marquise*, c0sa and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.