Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@thepsyche The two buildings in the top corners seem to be on the same level, yet one has a 2-tile staircase to get down to the level of the tent and bridge; the other has 5 tiles of stairs. Also, if you start outside the NE house, you can jump down a 2-tile cliff or a 4-tile cliff, in both cases landing on the same level.

Also, you haven't used shift-click mapping to get a proper cliff edge above the waterfall in the middle, and this is spoiling the illusion of depth: it looks as if the river is flat and what you intend to be a waterfall is just a rocky patch.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@thepsyche In addition to the points made above, have a look at the cliff immediately behind the tent.  You have a ledge coming out from the cliff face, but the bottom of it is on exactly the same level as the main cliff.  You need to bring that section of the cliff face forward by the same number of tiles as the ledge.

It is good that you are thinking of varying your levels from the very beginning.  Until you get the hang of it, you might find it easier to start at the top, as that level is going to be constant.  Then you can keep track of how many tiles you come down.  If you had done that you would have seen that the cliff in the middle (which reaches up to your house level) is several tiles shorter than the one on the left, even though they both end up on the same level at the bottom.

In several places you have used the long grass tile (the dark green one) right to the edge of the cliff.  Unfortunately, because it's a Tab A tile, it wipes out the cliff edging.

Last edited by a moderator:

beliziam

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first village with the new FSM tileset. The doors are still missing because its WIP. 

gkI9wGM.jpg

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@beliziam That looks good. I also bought the tileset. The only thing that pops out to me is the lower left house and all of those windows!

I like when I get to see "normal" sized houses executed well, I see them done poorly a lot. I'm apart of what I think is the minority, and I still like the 1 tile high houses. I think the hobbit environment fits the chibi style main characters better. But if we had something like Suikoden for character sprites, I would have totally been practicing that style more for buildings.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@beliziam Nice layout.  I do have a few queries, though.  The first is the number of trees within the village itself.  I can't help thinking that they would have cleared a lot of them, especially around the top central house which still has a lot.  Instead there might be a vegetable patch, or somewhere to hang the washing out or somewhere simply to store 'stuff', as you have lower down.  Having so many tress crammed up close to the houses would make them dark and probably a bit damp.  You might also think of shift-clicking your pathways so that they actually go up to the doors instead of stopping before them.  The grass around the well would also be worn, as that's where people would be going on a daily basis.  Three of of your houses in the middle have no chimneys.

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I'm happy to say that I have progressively gotten better at figuring out a legit bridge look based off the Parallax Mapping Guide in the store. Obviously everything else in here is just the beginning tinkering with the guide, I've not put any effort into beautifying the map, the main purpose of this current picture is to showcase how the bridge is coming along. In a real map, the challenge will be making sure there is enough land and space to get any bridge to sit properly on the grid for movement.

MAP077.png

I think the shadow needs to be erased from the last piece of the sloping bridge.

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@thepsyche The two buildings in the top corners seem to be on the same level, yet one has a 2-tile staircase to get down to the level of the tent and bridge; the other has 5 tiles of stairs. Also, if you start outside the NE house, you can jump down a 2-tile cliff or a 4-tile cliff, in both cases landing on the same level.

@Aoi Ninami Right, I think I've rectified this problem. I didn't realize operating with longer and shorter cliff faces was looked down upon, as couldn't it just be explained by horizontal elevation difference? Regardless, if it's generally seen as incorrect I'll get into the habit of adjusting elevation based on cliff height. Are there any existing heigh problems with the image now?

Also, you haven't used shift-click mapping to get a proper cliff edge above the waterfall in the middle, and this is spoiling the illusion of depth: it looks as if the river is flat and what you intend to be a waterfall is just a rocky patch.

Are you referring to the area that had the long grass at the top of the cliff face? If so - I did notice it, but I didn't think it was essential to have the edges of the cliff in there. However, that's probably just my untrained eye. I've taken out the long grass and put in normal grass instead.

Thanks @ksjp17 for the feedback also.

Cheers guys.

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another Forest Map I'm working on.

Still trying to find some good items to fill in the map.

Untitled.png

beliziam

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a charset test. I tried to downscale the new FSM Tileset to a 32 pixel grid size (like vx and vx ace) to be able to use the 2009 released refmap charsets. I made the decision to downscale the tileset instead of upscaling the charsets because in my opinion the results are much better with much less editing needed. Since im downscaling a 48 pixel tileset its very easy for me to switch back since the only part that i need to change are the charset. Unless im heavily working on custom animations it should be easy to do. 

But decide for yourself:

chartest2.png

chartest.png

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@beliziam

In general it looks kinda good, but did you already tried how it looks when you go for fullscreen?

Your Screen will be scaled up to 1080p and with this quality at the originial resolution you will probably recieve some pretty ugly results, but try it for your self

aboynamedearth

Onion Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. Lost my job last week so I've had a lot of free time to tackle things head on and keep myself sane.

Anyway, here's some progress. Modifying the crap out of Moghunter's HUD, and I've been working on sideview battlers for Time Fantasy! Background is from Crunch's pixel resources.

Things I'm still not sure about:

• The scroll background for the command list. Maybe seems a bit bulky, since I'm not using any backgrounds for the bottom portion. Perhaps if, as part of the background, I have a post with a closed version of the scroll... so when the command list is gone it looks like it's closing? That could be fun. Or maybe a hand just off screen holding it?
  • Lots of empty space. I'd rather not fill it just to fill it, but maybe vignetting the edges a bit? 
  • Decoration on the HP/MP bars. I've got little placeholders on there right now. Thought it would be fun, but the fact that it copies onto both make it kind of... cheesy maybe? I'm really tempted to just remove them straight up.
BUSDWut.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@aboynamedearth The thing that really jumped out at me was the contrast between the high definition of the enemies and everything else which is very pixelated, especially the faces.  At the moment I don't think it quite works.  It's too much of a clash for my taste.  

I like the idea of the scroll rolling up.  That sounds neat.

beliziam

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@beliziam

In general it looks kinda good, but did you already tried how it looks when you go for fullscreen?

Your Screen will be scaled up to 1080p and with this quality at the originial resolution you will probably recieve some pretty ugly results, but try it for your self

The screenshots were made in fullscreen mode. But i know what u mean. Its nowhere near as perfect as i want it to be. Kinda sucks that there are no tall sprites for the mv. I checked out your tall sprites but i dont like the walking animation / legs. 

I really hope they release FSM tall sprites. 

aboynamedearth

Onion Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ksjp17: Thanks for the feedback! You're absolutely right about the monsters. Eventually I want to animate the Time Fantasy Monsters sprites instead of the default RTP enemies. 

I'll try having the scroll close up then! You're the best!

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
The screenshots were made in fullscreen mode. But i know what u mean. Its nowhere near as perfect as i want it to be. Kinda sucks that there are no tall sprites for the mv. I checked out your tall sprites but i dont like the walking animation / legs. 

I really hope they release FSM tall sprites. 

You could try MV Sprite+ Template ;-) It's alot better then hiddenone's template especially since its providing several behaviour sprites ;)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@beliziam  There are tall MV sized sprites.  Head over to resource requests and we can help you find them.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sugar ZooZoo that's a really nice town layout! I especially like the four houses in the top left corner, they're very cozy looking. I'm confused about the top right building/church though, since there are no shadows on the rooftop, the wall/second floor looks super odd on it. You may want to draw a shadow on the right there.

And I'm having fun with my new backgrounds for my game.

3BmDdfK.png

MzgCLNw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Light up explosions with QABS and Community Lighting.
qcPQHt9.gif
Doing RPG Maker News #18 | Moghunter is Back, Encrypt MV/MZ Plugins, Isometric Geometric Tiles
Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)
FINALLY got my weather system implemented. Who needs a black mage when you have a weathermancer! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CursedBlackWolf