Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sugar ZooZooWow! Now, that's a lot of red, while I like the map, the walls and the floor in one area are both red.  So take my advice as you see fit.

I've been working on making my map, less square and more like XP, with round walls, so it looks better.  (^_^) I admit that I love the look of the map and this is without tint and fog overlay, so it isn't a ingame screenshot.

Mine_COH_Heroes.PNG

Name

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Caitlin Thanks for the advice. I was trying to get a good contrast of red and black. Lol. Since most gamer stuff is red and black. I think I would change it to the checkered floor instead. :)  (o_O waay too much red.lol)

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
First attempt at a parallax map, would really appreciate some feedback and pointers.

Custom resources outside of RTP used are the trees by BenBen and Celianna's cliff tile set (not sure if that's required when posting screen shots, but listing it anyway).

Alteration with some pattern stamping on the cliffs down the bottom to give them more variation. Not sure if I'm allowed to show a screen shot with alterations to custom tiles, so please let me know if the case and I'll remove it:

How I feel about it:

More or less satisfied on the whole as a first attempt. With regards to the altered cliff face down the bottom, I'm not sure if I've made it look better or just made it look like a mess. At first I thought it looked rough, but then it grew on me so I'm showing both.

What I really want to do next is to try and find away to move away from RPG Maker MV's square-y look. I desperately want some rounded corners to use, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. Celianna's cliff tileset is definitely a step in the right direction, but the nature of tilesets is that the repetition is going to make it look square-y anyway (I think). If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get more of rounded look out of MV, through whatever method - please fire away!

Thanks so much for taking a look at these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@thepsyche I really like your map, it looks very interesting and like it'd be fun to traverse through.The only areas I look at is first the apparent tree growing out of the hut, not sure if that's meant to be, but looks alittle strange to me. The other would be with the waterfalls, they look slightly off.  The underwater cliffs don't look like they are underwater. Aside from that, it looks like you've been using the @fallenlorelei parallax guides, and you have really done an awesome job on blending those grasses in together. That's still something I've yet to perfect myself.

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Zonen. Now that you've pointed out the cliffs I think I agree with you. I'll raise their opacity and maybe blue them up a little bit. The "tree growing out of the hut" is actually supposed to be a fallen branch with some leaves around it. I was trying to get creative with the branch - but maybe if I take it out the leaves on the roof will look more natural. Thanks!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@thepsyche It is possible to get away from the boxy look using Celianna's tiles.  I gave an example in an earlier post here of a couple of maps I had begun working on using the Ace version of those tiles.  As these are the first 2 maps of the first dungeon of the game, the layout is deliberately very simple, but I think that it's not boxy.  Anyway, it might give you some ideas.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I got tired of studying for my astronomy test and came upstairs to goof off for an hour. I wanted to do some mapping with the new Town of Beginnings DLC and see how well some of it blended in with the OG MV RTP. It's a very tiny map with not much detail put into it, but I just felt like showing off the awesome new tilesets available to us. The following is a screenshot of the map. If I had more time I would do a lot more with it, but it's bedtime!  >_>

NAhcn7L.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A map does not have to be from a specific project to go in Game and Map Screenshots - testing out of tiles is a good enough reason.

I am therefore merging this with the Screenshots thread.

Raeni

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Vexed Wow, that looks amazing! Is it an apocalyptic game or just a horror game? Either way the mood is very well done.

I just started with RPG maker recently. I tried out VXA for a while but I also have XP and through some playing around I found I really like this RTP more so I'm going to give it a go with my first project.

Here's a portion of my first town, a small fishing port town. May I ask for some help on the area to the right that is empty? I want it to appear as if it's a higher level than the docks, but it just appears as if it is walled off. Any ideas on how I can make it look like a platform?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fl93MM6.png[/IMG]

And this is the main characters house.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uG7Ga5S.png[/IMG]

Loppa

☣ Town of the Dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ITALY
Primarily Uses
N/A
Share that resources @Vexed!!! We need it :D *_________*

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ksjp17 I can see what you're getting at, and yes, I think those are better than the square tiles for walls provided in the RTP - but again, I emphasize on the repetiveness. I think because the same shapes are being used in close proximity, all within that one square tile, it's still going to at least *feel* a little buit square-ry. I think what might need to happen to get away from this in MV is to use tile that form of curve over a large period of space. For instance, instead of a complete curve within two tiles, I can work on making curves that take place over three or four - or even better, extendable depending on how you model them.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just throwing tiles at the wall. I wanted to see how many 1 tile high building designs I could find or create with the RTP. It's hard finding other shapes on the interwebz. Something like Albrook would be the next step up.

K3ha6QI.png

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Noobk

That pyramid house one looks kinda cool. I did something similar but with a tower in the middle. It is fun to try and stretch the capabilities of the RTP as much as possible!

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I took my girlfriend to Painting with a Twist for her birthday last year and I learned a pretty important lesson/advice from it. I think it was called "the 75% rule." Which was when you think your 75% done with your project, then stop, because you probably don't need to do anymore, and you will just end up overdoing it. I feel like I have hit that point with this bar map.

I'm not sure how much further to go, it's just small details I think at this point. I'm hoping the extra eyes on here will spot mistakes and give some suggestions for other bits.

I'm going to start working on the lighting next. I would like it to be a dark bar. The bar is devoid of windows. I picture it in my head like one of those underground bars in downtown areas, it's in the basement essentially. So stairs will need to be added in by the entrance at some point as well.

All suggestions, ideas, and cannon fodder is welcome!  :popcorn:

HrT7osL.png

Edit*

Couple more changes and an in game shot.

mJgwzwn.png

Resources Used from: RTP, whtdragon, Celiana, liketea, Indrah, Town of Beginnings 

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@thepsyche

Since your light is coming in from the right side, the shadow on the hut is on the wrong side of the building. The map overall looks quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Started work on the fishing Mini-Game
The Dark Toon art style is now available as Steam branches. (Both for the main game and the demo)
Battle.jpgCaptain.jpgCutsene.jpg
There are 2 versions. One only affects combat, cutscene, and portraits. The other one changes more.
So, technically, the game now has 7 versions on steam.
Arcade-Style RPGM Games? RM2k3 Game Jam & Synth-Retro Music by Azakaela | RPG Maker News #39

Just evented my first minigame, no plugins~ :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaterIce455