Not open for further replies.

Zaen

Find Me on YouTube
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You ever make something and you're not sure if it looks right, or something is kind of off about it, but you can't tell what it is that needs changing to make it look right? Or maybe it looks fine and you should just leave it. Maybe a second opinion would help you improve it.

Post screen shot. Obviously, if you use anyone's work, credit.

----

I'll start.

So, this is a damage.png character sprite from MV edited with the tileset edits from  http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/64669-splatter-horror-house-_/#comment-620043

It's actually two... I'm using another "sprite slot" directly beneath it to show the blood running down. 

I cut out some rocks and put them around the area, and what I'm trying to show is that rocks fell and killed this guy,

I feel like that's pretty obviously what I'm going for it. But... I feel like something looks off about it, and... maybe you guys can tell me what to fix. Or maybe it looks fine?

Thanks.

Untitled-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zaen We actually already have a topic for this - Game & Map Screenshots. So I'm going to merge this with that one.

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I was messing with importing @Celianna's Ancient Dungeon Base Pack from VX Ace into Rpg Maker Mv.  The tiles are looking pretty good messing with them following a tutorial of hers. I still need to fix a few of the tile sets that I didn't properly convert, but for the most part it looks good.

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zonen There are several ways of doing that, depending upon the precise way you want the shadow to show, whether you want it to be part of the graphic itself or added through graphic events etc etc.

However, this is not the thread for that sort of discussion.  We do, though, have a forum for getting help on making, using, editing etc. resources - Resource Support.  I think it would be best if you posted your query there.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A very small 17x13 winter map.

U9EqR2O.png

Resources Used: RTP

Edit*

Updated with the ideas recommended by @ksjp17 & @Canini. I did not originally put much thought into path. Paths really are not a strong point for me it seems. I played with ideas last night, but I really did not come up with anything I liked visually. I took a stab at it again just now before class and I like this look a bit more than what I was producing last night. Usual cannon fodder always welcome!  :popcorn:

qG0x8Y1.png

Edit #2*

llZJRBa.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Noobk The structure is nice, but unless this is a main road, I think having a completely bare path looks a bit odd.  I'd put patches of snow on it. Footprints across snow would also work well (they're in !Other1).

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Noobk

It looks nice but the environment looks a little cluttered compared to the path. Either add some stuff to the path like ksjp17 suggests or remove some a some stuff from the landscape. 

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
With some help from @coyotecraft I think I've given the illusion of a sloping bridge to fit into one of my maps finally. Warping and gradient tools first attempt.

Edit:

@ksjp17 Perhaps if I skew the shadow a bit?

MAP087.gif

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zonen The shadow does make a big improvement.  However, there is a problem with the levels.  The island appears to stand some way above the water level - you have those miniature 'cliffs' as an edging, both above and below the water line.  However, the mainland is almost flush with the water, no elevation at all.  This would imply that the bridge would need to be sloping, but clearly it's not as the shadow is absolutely even the full length.   I think you need to use one or the other ground tile, but not both.

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 I'm not sure I follow you entirely. Should i focus on adjusting the shadow, to give it more of a slope look?  I'm not sure what you mean on the ground tiles.

Loppa

☣ Town of the Dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ITALY
Primarily Uses
N/A
Video_1480449358.gif

Violence Chlotes Shop from Tighard City now at Melden City in Town of the Dead Game

(In collaboration with another Italian game Live or Die2 by MrSte, Violence original logo by MrSte, edited by me to fit almost good in Pop horror city graphics. With some customizations)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zonen Ksjp means the difference between the cliff tiles submerged in water, where you can see the bottom of the cliffs inside the water, versus the grass + water tiles, where you cannot see the 'bottom' so to speak. Personally, I have no qualms with this, as it can mean that the further you go into the water, the deeper it gets, whereas when it's near the grass, it's very, very shallow. It looks fine to me.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zonen Celianna replied while I was typing this, so I don't need to explain now.  Except for one thing.  I could agree with the  bit

the further you go into the water, the deeper it gets, whereas when it's near the grass, it's very, very shallow.

except for the fact that on the right your island is almost touching the land, so that you have deep water tiles within spitting distance of shallow water tiles.

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Celianna & @ksjp17, Thank you both for your replies, and points. I can see what you mean about part of the island being to close to the land if the water is to be deep.  That point brings me to the thought that I'll probably add distance in that spot from the island and the land.  On another note, I edited the bridge again (inside the original picture I posted, as to note double post it), and the shadow as I thought you were leaning towards that issue, so perhaps that helps give the bridge more of the slope affect I was looking for.  In-game it felt to me like the bridge sloped, again I'm no expert mapper, but messing with the skew effect appears to have made the shadow more realistically degrade as it gets closer to the ground.

Edit:

Perhaps even if I lowered the submerged part of the island, it wouldn't seem so deep and reflect better with the land.  More playing with it I guess as I figure this all out.  Thanks for all the tips, they've really helped me improve and try new things.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Seems like a good solution to me.  And yes, I was also thinking about the shadow as well.

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
 This would imply that the bridge would need to be sloping, but clearly it's not as the shadow is absolutely even the full length.

But the Bridge is sloping, not only because of the new gradient lighting but also look closer at the shadow. It starts further out at the highest elevation and narrows till it touches the bottom floor. It's not just a straight shadow all the way down. @Zonen I think the bridge looks just fine.

Edit: Nevermind it looks like the image got edited and I was looking at a new one. But yeah new one looks good!

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes I've updated the original to reflect the ideas and changes, and to avoid double posting.

And thanks for the kind words.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Noobk

Very nice improvements, I like edit #2 the best (I still think #1 is a bit cluttered)

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looping Map made up of 4 sections, only showing the top 2 because the bottom 2 are exactly the same. This map is one of those endless areas that loops the character on the X and Y axis.

Also which looks better, fog or no fog? Setting is Sky Temple. Could also be clouds I suppose.

Endless-Sky-Temple_zpsi2lpoyro.jpg~original

At some point, when the characters get out of the endless loop, the section they're currently one will become a separate map. The separate map will be One of these sections with a little more expanded on all 4 corners. That map will show what this place really is, which is a floating sky temple.  You'll see the sky, waterfall down the sides of the island, etc. But it's not yet finished...cause it's almost 4am and I'm sleepy.

#TimeBlazer @Wavelength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Another Friday and another Zoom call that could have been an email. Working from home is awesome.
Finished with the semester; finally have some time to play around with MV :kaopride:
Started work on the fishing Mini-Game
The Dark Toon art style is now available as Steam branches. (Both for the main game and the demo)
Battle.jpgCaptain.jpgCutsene.jpg
There are 2 versions. One only affects combat, cutscene, and portraits. The other one changes more.
So, technically, the game now has 7 versions on steam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhanmorris94