Game & Map Screenshots 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneManArmy

OneManArmy Veteran Veteran

Hi guys It is map nr 1 for my game. It is parallaxed with animated fire and light. What do you guys think could you give me please some feedback.

2. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @OneManArmy : Checked the map. It is pretty good. But I have to say it's a bit overdone. Shouldn't area around the bonfire be more visible?

So here is the pre-alpha screen capture of Wanda - A Beautiful Apocalypse Remake. Testing touch screen feature for mobile release. Please have a look. Need suggestion on button placement and UI in general.

Marquise*, huubz, mara_vertin and 2 others like this.
  3. Farfala

Farfala Warper Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  4. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nice to see so many improvements from everyone! Keep up the good work, y'all!

I've made some more work with my GB palette project. The sprites here are mainly used for testing purposes ATM.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure who this guy is, but I'm sure I'll find out in due time...

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Luiishu535 Nice tiles. If I were to make one suggestion, it would be this.
    I can only be sure what the stairs look like because the random guy is standing in front of them. Without that visual clue that he was blocking something important, I might well not have recognized them. Perhaps you could differentiate them a tad more in some way?

However, this is a map, not a tile, thread so back on topic. I find the placement of the two tall pillars at the bottom a bit weird. What are the (non visible) bases resting on? It is only after a lot of studying that I assume that the black areas also indicate your walls/ceilings and that therefore their bases are hidden, in the same way that carpets run 'under' the bottom wall. I'm not, at the moment, convinced that simple black areas clearly denote bottom ceiling tiles. They can work for maps that have no bottom wall, but here....? Especially as you have tiles indicating walls on the side and top which lead the eye/brain to expect something similar at the bottom.

EDIT
    Having had yet another look, I'm even more of the same opinion because your side tiles have an edge which clearly indicate a wall coming down from the ceiling. This is inconsistent with what you're doing at the bottom.

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Those are stairs? I thought it was a gate. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a gate. Oh, I guess two things cutting into the ceiling at the bottom are stairs. Air vents wouldn't make much sense, would they? Legibility is certainly the main problem with working with only a four colors.

I think the mapping is good, the problems seem to be with some resource troubles. I've got some suggestions on how to fix them but that would be off topic for this thread.

7. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's a screenshot heavily dependent on Doodads. Can I get a critique? Too busy?
    [​IMG]

Arcmagik likes this.
  8. RionFish

RionFish Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All right, thought I'd go ahead and upload my first attempt at parallax mapping for some critique.

[​IMG]

A few notes:

-The windows of the two houses with 'blank' doors are intentionally incomplete as I want to build the interior maps before I fill those in, and the doors will be evented in.
    -The map is intentionally small and part of a larger city that the player will be able to explore, but the game itself will be fairly short. This is no epic RPG.
    -I will probably be changing the doors as in retrospect they seem more like interior doors than exterior. (They also need them some door frames).

I've been fiddling with this map for too long and am starting to lose my mind in the small details, so any and all comments are welcome.

(Credit to Indrah for the doors and ArcheoFox for the cars)

9. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Experimenting with ways to make "very high cliffs" fade out into the distance. I think they came out well, incorporated the map into my small personal project.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. mara_vertin

mara_vertin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SomaelCK Aw, this game looks very interesting, too. I think the UI looks nice and is well placed. :)

SomaelCK likes this.
  11. anonamix

anonamix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello all! I am working on a game called "Goobers" where a homeless man falls down the sewer into a subterranean-trash-world of mutants. I hope to start a progress thread when I get farther into it.

For now I have been messing some above ground maps in the game's beginning. Here is the main characters "shack".
    [​IMG]
    In-game there are a lot of animations like smoke and buzzing flies.

And here is the part of town in which the main character lives..
    [​IMG]
    The image doesn't show all of the animated grass/clothes on clothesline/etc..

Thanks for checking out what I've got so far. Any feedback is always welcome. I hope to have more updates on this project very soon. Thanks!

12. Pikheat

Pikheat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow this looks really great.
    I like the light and parallax <3

Keep it up!

anonamix likes this.
  13. ItzTerry

ItzTerry Magician of Discord Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the art style, it gives a fair spotlight of originality.

anonamix likes this.
  14. Cunechan

Cunechan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Aaaah that's so beautiful! There's an atmosphere, a lot of love and effort put into the graphics and maps and a consistent & interesting art style. The lights, bare fogs and transition fit perfectly there. Sometimes the perspective is a little bit off of some tiles (the trash can and the mattress for example), and I'm not sure about the houses, sometimes the 'backside' of the roof is visible but the other houses with the flat ones aren't, that makes them look less plastic than the rest of the environment, but that's the only thing! Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing it with us ^^

Marquise* and anonamix like this.
  15. anonamix

anonamix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for checking it out! I can't wait until I have more to share :)

I REALLY appreciate the feedback. Do you personally prefer the original style (showing more roof) or do you think it's just the mixture of the two styles that looks off? I was thinking of maybe editing some of the assets before mapping the final chunk of city.

Thanks again for all the input!

16. slimeborgi

slimeborgi Extra! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
    Monster Betting Arena.
    If you win 5 matches in a row you get to select a grand prize!
    First bet is 100 Gold and you keep playing from there.

I may add a monster race track and some slot machines also.

Marquise*, M.I.A., jonthefox and 3 others like this.
  17. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes Thanks for the feedback, buddy! The tile behind the upper sprite is definitely a gate.

Using black/a darker color for the ceiling tiles is a stylistic choice. It may not be that common to see this style in RM games, but it is quite a common and well-known style in general (especially for top-down/overhead games).

@Sharm Feel free to PM me with off-topic suggestions! As an aspiring pixel artist, I'm always striving to learn new things and improve.

@Carduus Nice butt! Your sprites stand out quite a lot stylistically in contrast with your tiles, but this may be intentional to make 'em more visible.

@RionFish It looks like a city, which means you did a pretty decent mapping job. I have some feedback concerning the placement of certain objects, but neither my English or Swedish is working so well ATM. : /

@Jesse - PVGames Looking good! The aesthetic kind of reminds me of Dark Souls a bit.

@anonamix Pretty cool art style!

@slimeborgi The walls at the upper corners of your map needs to be a tile higher and the lower right part of the map seems a bit empty to me. Other than that, I'm really digging the 8-bit style of those tiles! Are you using the NES palette for this? Thy colors look a lot more modern compared to the highly saturated NES palette.

anonamix and Carduus like this.
  18. slimeborgi

slimeborgi Extra! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Luiishu535 It's supposed to be as if it were on the gameboy color, these color would work there.
    The space is empty for random roaming NPCs and thanks I didn't notice the problem with those walls.

19. Dymdez

Dymdez Newbie-in-Chief Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A dangerous, mysterious cave. Capture.PNG

Marquise* and anonamix like this.
  20. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Screenshot.png It's been awhile, everybody! So I purchased the Time Fantasy resource packs for fun - and I guess I'm looking for suggestions on a few things...

1. The grass I painted on with a pixel brush - does it fly with the look of the resources?
    2. For shadows/shadowing - what are your suggestions? I still want it to maintain it's retro charm as best as possible...
    Thanks in advance! :kaoswt:

Marquise* and mara_vertin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.