Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloopy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Some screens of a basic field I made using Yanfly's doodads plugin (Edited RTP + Avy tiles)

9c9bf204f1e1e208b9c84da57740326a.png

98907845f65c119a1449b4dcbf6dfe3f.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Bloopy If I could suggest a further edit? Your cliffs are brown. That will be the basic rock formation of the whole area. However, your paths, which are where the grass has worn away to the soil underneath, shows grey rock. The two together don't work. It would probably be easier to edit the path tile than the cliffs, so personally I'd go that route and make the paths brown as well.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Bloopy I agree and second Kes's recommendation to match the color family of the stone paths to the cliffs. It would harmonize the color scheme and be a bit more realistic as well. I do enjoy the flow and amount of decoration in your maps, though. :)

PandaMaru

little red panda
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Challenge_Grabmal_PandaMaru.png

Credits:
Tilesets - Crazy Leen (Ruins), Kadokawa, PandaMaru
Charsets - Whtdragon (Animals)

Just a screenshot for a challenge with the theme "tomb/monument"

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PandaMaru I think this map is the perfect amount of having that overgrown and unkept look while still guiding the eye along nicely and not looking too crowded. I love finding all the little details and hidden objects throughout it.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PandaMaru I love that map!

Me, on the other hand, decided that I needed to practice more with dungeons and sadly came to a realization. My RTP chibi characters are way too small for this map, like I was using the RTP of an old maker in a new one. Note: I am not sure that I was able to make sure the levels of the wall fit and might have to edit if I find that I have errors.
Stone_ingame.PNG
Stone_Editor.PNG

Dizzledorfs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am a complete noob with RPGMaker.. I have been making games for years in Flash and am now making the transition to something usable on mobile devices. I happen to love RPGs so figured I would start with RPG Maker MV. But, it has only been a couple of weeks, so I could use some advice on my map.

MainFarm.jpg

I am trying to use parallax, although I have no idea how to make this work in the game yet. But, before I did that, I wanted to be sure people didn't find it too busy or too open or too... whatever.

There will be bunnies in the top left field, llamas in the top center, bee hives in the middle field and crops and chickens at the bottom. I followed a tutorial to do the parallax and found some tile sheets that I adored. Then I added shadows to give it more depth. Too Busy? Need highlights? I am approaching this from someone who just knows art and not RPGMaker, so any tips will be helpful.

Thanks.

Credit for fruit trees - Jodi
Credit for other trees and house - Schwarzenacht (Deviant Art)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dizzledorfs Overall I like the layout. Have you done some sort of editing to some of the tiles though? There's something about the cliff tiles that bothers my eyes, almost like a fuzziness to them. But perhaps I've just not look at large section of these cliffs before?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan Yeah, I noticed that too. It kind of looks like some of my earlier attempts at parallax mapping, where I'd try to export a map made in the editor as an image. The image would get downscaled, and when I upscaled it to be 48*48, it'd make everything a bit fuzzy.
@Dizzledorfs Blurriness aside, I second what @mlogan says about the layout being nice.

Speaking of my attempts at parallax mapping, this is the latest version of a map I posted on Game & Map Screenshots #8. (Now with lighting effects courtesy of @Khas' lighting plugin). One version before the torches are lit, and one after they're lit. The sprites are placeholders (hopefully we'll eventually be able to have custom sprites).
nat_s_playground_by_natalyabass-dax2z08.png

Before
nat_s_playground_2_by_natalyabass-dax35tw.png

After
As always, constructive criticism/feedback is always appreciated!

Dizzledorfs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@GameFire - that is exactly what I did. So, now I am making my base map image using Orange Mapshot and let's see if that makes things less fuzzy and psychedelic for your eyes :)

Attachments

• ground2.png
    ground2.png
    673.4 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dizzledorfs Ah, much better. Now all the details are a lot crisper/clearer.
Now I'm trying to imagine what it'd look like with the bunnies, llamas, chickens, beehives, and crops added in. (I'm also wondering about where that hole with the vines coming out of it goes. Does it lead to a cave of secret items and treasure? Or is it just the hole where Farmer Joe has to fetch his chickens out from time to time when they escape and fall in?)

Dizzledorfs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@GameFire When I get all the items put on there, I will post another picture. The game is an educational game (kids have to do math to finish their quests). The hole with the vines will lead down to a treasure and if they find all of the treasures, they get a badge. There is another hole that if they find that one, they will find a bunch of buried bones which turn out to belong to a dog which will then join their party. A lot of odd things going on because teachers would freak out if I made them actually battle. So, for my first RPGMaker game,... just exploring, no battles.

By the way, Your torches look awesome. In that picture, in the dark, the trees, or something, up on the hill look like eyeballs. Don't know if you did it on purpose, but it is pretty cool looking!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dizzledorfs There seems to be something off with your cliff heights. On the right side, the lower section is one tile high, but when you move to the left (where it drops down from the upper level) that has become 2 tiles high. Now go to the upper level, and it seems to be the same sort of thing. On the right the cliff is 2 high, but on the left of the waterfall it seems to be more like 3 high.

I think it would also help if you evented in some foam at the top and bottom of the waterfall.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Drizzledorfs This may be a preference thing, but I'd tone down the "spray painted" effect of the grass tiles. I like the layout and level of decoration, but there appears to be something pretty fuzzy about the map overall and the grass might be contributing to that.

Last edited:

lawina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Seeing these screenshots, and comparing it to mine, makes me just want to quit developing games.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@lawina Definitely not how you get screen shots like that...

@GameFire Honestly, and maybe it is just because I am viewing on my phone but I don't see a big different in the lightly. Seems really dark still for torch light but again that could just be me.

@Amy Pond UI looks great!

Last edited:

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@GameFire I have to agree with @Arcmagik. The map is really still too dark. I turned the brightness up on my computer and still have difficulty making much out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

doodled a poring today :kaoluv:
uc
Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.
I realized a while ago my game was toooo big in scope. even now I wonder am I trying to do too much by myself. and that's after completely changing the format of the game.
Last week at SLC. Cali awaits. TBH I love SLC more than SF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamegialap