kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ksi reminds me of AC 1, maybe you should look at its buildings to change a thing or 2
Still pretty cool

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Ksi reminds me of AC 1, maybe you should look at its buildings to change a thing or 2
Still pretty cool
I'd rather not have to purchase a game in order to figure out what you think I should change? Anything pop into your head that needs fixing, though? What kinds of things did you have in mind, exactly?

I mean, I had a look at what screenshots I could find but they tend to be awnings, boxes/pots and ladders. Whilst I might add a few ladders here and there in other areas, I don't see a need to (ladders would mean there'd be a reason for someone to get to the higher roofs and there's nothing up there to require going up to the higher parts. All other parts are accessible through stairs within the houses themselves, leading to the top floors.)

I suppose I could add some carpets hanging or clotheslines between houses (though that seems more a western thing than desert country - sand in clothing isn't great). Hm... maybe some barrels and boxes in addition to the jars? This is more of a slummy area so I don't imagine people want to leave valuables out to be taken, especially with most roofs being connected.

Last edited:

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ksi: I like the layout so far, I like the ladders (but where can you get up in the first place?) Personally I would try to add darker buildings to break up the monotony of the map. Some colour would be nice, too! I used red doors for example in mine.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Celianna: Some of the houses have stairs inside that lead up to the roofs. I might add a trapdoor over them since leaving them open to the wind and sand isn't a smart idea. XD
Different coloured doors might be an idea for the richer districts, I guess. Definitely a little more colour here and there would be a good idea overall, though. There is some with the trees and jars, but the tint does kind of wash them out a bit. I'll experiment some more. Thanks!

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ksi a fun little tidbit about ancient Egypt is that colour was used quite a lot in decorations, and as such, in homes as well, no matter how poor you were. So if you're drawing inspiration from Egypt, it wouldn't look out of place to add red coloured doors :)

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Celianna I actually knew that! ^.^
I'm actually going more generic fantasy world desert town, but yeah, I'll see about adding some more colour here and there (carpets, paintwork in the richer areas, etc). o/

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Celianna I didn't thought you could do that in MV! At first I thought it was Comipo! :3

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think that the overlay works with that tileset, personally.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello people, im just getting started with parallax mapping, so i did this map to test layers and all that, so far on this test map i have 4 layers.
Below the sprites, above, shadows and fog/sunlight. Im using Soulpour Sleipnir mapping system for this.

Im also testing the character sprites i will use for the game, just 3 frames wasnt enough so im using Galv frames and animation plugins to go a bit further than what rpg maker allows by default.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think some minor blending can work with pixel art, so light effects are usually fine, but it starts clashing the more detailed and/or textured it gets. I think either a flat overlay or a pixelated one.

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think some minor blending can work with pixel art, so light effects are usually fine, but it starts clashing the more detailed and/or textured it gets. I think either a flat overlay or a pixelated one.
That's good feedback! I'll play around - I'll admit I've had trouble deciding what I like - more "noisey" layers or softer layers.

EDIT: I should also say that there's a fog on this - and the opacity is higher than my other screens. I think that's throwing it off a little.

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@IAmJakeSauvage - sorry I'm a bit late, I haven't been on the forums much for the past few weeks. But I wanted to let you know I have been enjoying your screenshots and I love what you've been doing with the Time Fantasy tiles! I just stumbled across these tiles recently myself, and I like the look of them. I've been curious to see what can be done with them, so I appreciate you sharing your screenshots. I especially love what you did with the green fog in the chasm!

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@IAmJakeSauvage - sorry I'm a bit late, I haven't been on the forums much for the past few weeks. But I wanted to let you know I have been enjoying your screenshots and I love what you've been doing with the Time Fantasy tiles! I just stumbled across these tiles recently myself, and I like the look of them. I've been curious to see what can be done with them, so I appreciate you sharing your screenshots. I especially love what you did with the green fog in the chasm!
Thanks a lot - I really appreciate it! :kaothx:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Welp, ended up at the hospital with the oldest so mebbe might make the game jam's deadline. Maybe not. Regardless, really digging MZ.
I had lots of fun! Kids loved me, and some took pictures. Unfortunately, the videos didn't send... but you'll see Chica in action when I do a trailer for Fandom Scouts!
Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.
Just doing some tileset tinkering again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalaacSoran