Game & Map Screenshots 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huubz

huubz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Slimsy Platypus Thanks for the feedback! I think I got the perspective a little bit better, but still feel that there is some issues with it. Don't want to spam the thread too much with the same map after every change, so I might post some updated version when I'm completely happy with it :)

I like what @ashikai suggested concerning your world map, that places which you haven't visited / unlocked would be grey. Kinda like in Baldur's Gate. The map looks great though!

@RocketKnight I like both of your maps, hard to say which one I like better! I really like some of the custom made stuff, like the boxes and middle section on the first map and the wired pylons on the second one :)

RocketKnight likes this.
  2. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is not a screenshot but I've seen other people share their titles so here's my game's title screen, with particle effects and pulsing magical circles. Game's been long time in making and soon ready for Kickstarter, I'm very excited!

[​IMG]

3. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Players can take screenshots of my game when they're assembling an outfit, and it'll generate a background for their avatar and slap my logo on it. Whee.

[​IMG]

Rabosion, Shugo, Marquise* and 5 others like this.
  4. Slimsy Platypus

Slimsy Platypus Veteran Veteran

@Tuomo L Your title screen... wow! That is pretty amazing!

Thanks all for the previous feedback! I have been working like crazy on my visual style iterating like crazy!

Hopefully I'm not bombarding everyone with too many screenshots... but I reworked my battle GUI a bit after implementing states. Feeling a good sense of progression as I iterate! (don't mind my incomplete assets, throwing everything together like a wildman right now). What are everyone's thoughts on the battle GUI? I'm wondering if the bars need some more meat to them or whether this will be readable enough.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Marquise*, kovak, huubz and 3 others like this.
  5. Vandriette

Vandriette Dark King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

My game used to run at a higher resolution, but, I had to cut down due to lag. Immersion actually seems better at lower resolutions, which is odd.

Rabosion, flirion, Shugo and 5 others like this.
  6. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Akumai - The problem with the way you're making your reflections is that they are just mirrors. You can't have the furniture show its top in its own reflection on the floor and there can't be any gap of reflections on the edges of round objects. Sometimes, you have to draw yourself, if only a little...

7. Vandriette

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've heard this quite a few times from others, and, it's something I'm aware of.
    Though, and I know this sounds lazy, (because it is), but, it looks pretty enough that most players will either not care, or not notice~

8. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I do, because I work with these effects as well so my eyes are "trained" to spot issues and fix them ;) I just can't make something half-baked. Do or don't, you might say, at the cost of many hours I could have spent making something else...
    But I agree that most players will just say "pretty!". If it works for you, just go!

CallMeKerrigan likes this.
  9. Vandriette

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's not that difficult to modify the reflections, it's just I'm pounded with so many other parts of the maps, it's alot of work.
    I mean, there's so much layer work involved because the player also leaves a reflection on the map, and lighting, its a nightmare.
    For future maps though, it's something I'll keep in mind I guess xD
    And please don't get me started on passabilities :yswt2:

Tsukitsune and cabfe like this.
  10. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Been using Celianna's Medieval Buildings and Ancient Dungeons tilesets for my game. This is the starting village redone, the original version didn't feel like a village to me. Instead, it was more like a small town. Might come back to this latter and redo plant and tree placement but I'm fine with how it is for now.

Rabosion, Shugo, Marquise* and 4 others like this.
  11. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Timmydoop I like the layout! It's simple and easy to navigate. May I suggest adding the top part of the tree above your wall in the lower portion of your map? It'll give it a sense of depth, like stuff is behind the wall. I also suggest braziers on top of the wall, and perhaps a ladder going up :)

12. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't find a ladder in the specific sheets I was using, so I replaced a tree with a guard tower. Added some braziers near each of the 'gates' and a narrow bridge going across each gap.

13. Lithalean

Lithalean Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @TimmyTheNerd
    I think @Celianna meant
    [​IMG]
    I'd also do the top (I removed the space between trees, but with space would work too)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Marquise* and nkuroo like this.
  14. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep, @Lithalean got it right; placing tree tops behind the wall. Although what you currently have is also an interesting way of showing a forest that lies beneath the village. I think both ideas would work well together.

15. Musashi

Musashi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    It's funny because having big walls to protect a village/town is useless if you keep tall trees near it, but it makes the maps look much better xD
    I think that what @TimmyTheNerd did with the trees looks better, specially if there is a dense forest around the village, even though I normally go with what @Lithalean showed.

RocketKnight likes this.
  16. Solwern

Solwern Dead person. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Boss fight I've been working on. I know reflect has to be nerfed and I already did it. Any other opinions?

17. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Made this platforming puzzle stage for Wanda Remake.
    The map is somewhat rough around the edges but a good polishing would fix this up.

[​IMG]

Rabosion, Marquise*, huubz and 4 others like this.
  18. Digital Religion

Digital Religion Dark Devil Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love your art direction. Cute characters.

Tuomo L likes this.
  19. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Solwern I have several issues with the bossfight you shared.
    Graphics are the first one. Everything is so blue it looks ugly. The background, the Battle status window, the aqua skills (even though they are blue naturally, so there's not much to do there... But you understand my point I hope). Also, if you have three characters, I don't see a point of having an empty member slot (can be fixed by tweaking the YEP_BattleStatus's width).
    Then from what I have seen, the game doesn't really have strategy. You stacked up barriers, buffed behind them and slowly took down the boss bit by bit. I'm not sure if you saw Yanfly's Unexpected expected battle on youtube featuring "Harold". If not, maybe you should look at it. But the point is, if a boss is uninteresting, it's pointless to have a long fight.
    The skill arsenal of everyone, including the boss, is very limited. The boss just casts one aqua attack, only when his hp goes under 50%, he casts some strange looking auras.
    Instead of casting his aqua attack, he could have had normal attacks and it would achieve the same results.
    Except for the change in BGM I saw nothing that would even suggest a bossfight.
    I cannot judge too much more, since I haven't actually played it. But this is what I see in the video.

I would sugest the following.
    Spread skill arsenals of at least the boss, because his one attack is seriously pitiful. But the fact that your skills pretty much force the game strategy isn't ideal either.
    Actually engage the player. Animated background, dialogs, plot twists... So much to do with the bossfight to make it more lively.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Solwern and Amarok like this.
  20. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pixel movement is the best thing ever, really.
    Has anyone here seen Texhnolyze the anime? im going for the same feeling here.
    Figuring out how to use yanfly grid free doodads before going further. Crits welcome!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.