Game & Map Screenshots 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhysO101

RhysO101 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My project is very basic and vanilla at the moment.
    Here is a map of the first town in the game (unfinished):
    [​IMG]
    And here are some screen shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marquise* likes this.
  2. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No point in showing unfinished maps, since the city isn't finished yet, I'll keep off any comments. But for the finished ones.. The ration selling grandma's stockpile looks empty. Either fill it or decrease its' size, I'd suggest.

3. Nebuerys

Nebuerys Social Ninja Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not entirely happy with my attempt to make the cliff part look more natural, but I might as well put it here so I can get feedback on how to improve it.
    [​IMG]

flirion, Shugo, Marquise* and 7 others like this.
  4. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nebuerys I think it looks fine! The map is very wall designed, and the town is very interesting. If you're dissatisfied with the cliff parts, how about adding a small lake?

5. Nebuerys

First Language:
    English
    @Celianna Do you think that the cliff walls are not too flat to you though? I might have made a mistake and failed to upload a full-sized picture so here's a closer look.

[​IMG]

I was attempting to make a less modular looking tile set for the cliffs and this is what I ended up with.

Marquise*, Rhino and Moonport like this.
  6. Pern

Pern Hello Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Nebuerys

I absolutely love that map. The hardest thing for me to put to paper is the layout of towns and cities and that looks gorgeous. Very envious of your vision!

7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The cliff sides do look a bit smooth. If you want help fixing that I suggest posting in the Resource WIP thread. This thread is focused on the layout, that one is for the actual artwork. The layout you've got looks good.

8. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nebuerys you could try swapping them for mine. But mostly you'd need more stuff on the cliffs to break up the monotonous pattern. Any smaller cliffs will do.

9. Nebuerys

First Language:
    English
    @Pern Thanks! A couple of stints in architecture and city planning school might have helped me a bit. :D

@Sharm I'll check out the WIP thread, then. Making my own assets from scratch has always been my weak point.

@Celianna Cool. I think I see a couple of assets that can help make my cliffs look less boring. I appreciate the help!

10. nkuroo

nkuroo Villager Member

First Language:
    Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    here several house that i try to create

[​IMG]

11. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Work In Progress of Southern Everspring Forest, just south of the village I shared. To the east is the Eastern Forest, which I haven't started work on yet but plan on it being a huge clearing that the village turned into farming land. Further south is the Deep Forest, where the second dungeon of the game will be located. The first dungeon is the cave system in the mountain.

Combined Ancient Dungeons Base, Ancient Dungeons Jungle and Fantastic Buildings: Medieval Tile Sets to make this map, which is 123 by 111 Tiles in size. Notable locations are the Farm (Which plays a role in a side quest), the Hermit's Cabin (The hermit will a different side quest that will involve the mountain), Ashlyn's House, where you can recruit Ashlyn and Helena, the first of 3 party members found in the Everspring area, the Travelling Merchant who set up camp on the lake's island, and, last but not least, Everspring Mountain and the trail that leads into the Valia Mountain Range. Everspring Mountain is the source of the spring that gives the forest its name.

The waterfall, which admittedly took me too long to understand how to animate even with Celianna's instructions, uses the large waterfall charset. Like, seriously. It took me a good three hours before realizing I was suppose to animate it through the Custom Move Route menu and not as an event like the door itself. Felt like an idiot when it came to me.

Marquise* likes this.
  12. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TimmyTheNerd but doors are animated with a custom move route, are they not? :o Lovely map though! Will there be something interesting going on in the grass field in the middle? Otherwise it's just a whole boring of nothingness.

13. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Celianna Yeah but it's done as part of the event scripting and not as the movement type, otherwise you have a door constantly opening and closing. My mind was going along the line of exactly like a door. Only having the event sent to autorun. That...did not work out at all since it froze the game the moment you entered the field.

The middle field is still being decorated with trees. I divided the map up into smaller sections to help me concentrate and work more efficiently. I add rocks to the dirt patches. Then I add trees, bushes and flowers to the 'tall grass' patches. Then I add trees to the normal grass. Once each section is done, I go through again adding small details to make it look more natural. My creation process is a little weird, but I find it hard to get everything done right and to focus properly when not using this process.

14. Vandriette

Vandriette Dark King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Film grain anyone~?

Attached Files:

15. Solwern

Solwern Dead person. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dude, seriously, thanks ALOT for the feedback

First of all, I am planning on having multiple main characters with guest actors for certain side quests so I didn't really bother to adjust the UI because of that.

Next up, the boss actually is supposed to destroy those barriers upon transformation and has an array of buff skills but the default AI does not use them for one reason or the other (Other than the aqua aura I had it force use upon transformation) so I'll be looking at Yanfly's enemy AI script and see what I can work out from there.

As for the graphics, they are underwater so everything blue is a given... or so I think, I'll increase the transparency on the foreground and in the battle itself, I'll see if I can find a scrolling battle back script amongst other things.

As for this boss itself this is a test run so buffing it's AI to actually use the barrier break skill is one thing but as it is a side boss, defeating this boss contributes changes to the story itself and allows the player to fight a "Hidden" boss which affects the story as it goes.

16. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Akumai - Film grain effect is really a personal preference. I systematically deactivate it in games, but if you can make it optional, why not?

17. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Akumai That map just oozes atmosphere- I love it :kaojoy:

My fourth map attempt but first time posting it.. Feedback/advice on how to improve would be much obliged.
    map.png
    It's an item shop, but you can go to the crystal ball and get a random fortune! The shadows are so big since I'm using regions to shade the characters.. I left the walkways big since they'll be quite a few npcs, but I'm not sure if that makes it look a little lop-sided..

flirion, Shugo, Marquise* and 2 others like this.
  18. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Solwern
    The UI can be adjustable based on the amount of your party members, if you know javascript :) A question of editing one line of code, precisely Battle status window width.
    So let me sum up... He is supposed to destroy those barriers. But if your characters are buffed, you don't need to bother with it, since you can just go all out from that point. Or, if he destroys the barriers, you can still set them up again (which you actually did in the video and then used the old man as a heavy hitter).
    Buffs are nice, but they are far from the point. It's pointless if the enemy has only one single target attack. It's Kraken, the giant octopus... Octopi have tentacles, ink, they can manipulate water with their rage, throw destroyed ships, eat their foes... Whatever. And he only has one single target aqua attack. No offence, but he can just have a basic attack instead, if he's going to have only one single target attack that damages foes. And no buffs will change that (but wait, basic attacks don't get reflected by magic reflect barrier... But then if a character has a skill and doesn't have a normal attack only because it's reflectable by magic reflect barrier, it's bad design). If you want to make the boss more interesting, give him more attacking skills. AOE skills. Anything. It's Kraken, so he should be more of a majestic boss. He should pose some challenge. Even if he's a mere side boss, he's still a boss.
    As for the graphics, you can definitely play more with it. It is underwater, underwater you have corals, stones, sunken ships, ... and much more. Ok, maybe not, because the world they are in looks like some kind of hi tech thing... But at the same time they are in front of a portal. You can play with the portal part too. Glowing portal, animated background, water, pixi (ok, not everybody knows pixi, I don't know it either, but I want to learn it, because it gives you some nice graphical abilities), dialogs, cutscenes, random battle animations, the transformation being accompanied by WHOAAAAA! from octopus to show his anger... There are so, so many things you can do to make the scene look more appealing. It's a boss, don't be afraid to be creative.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Solwern likes this.
  19. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

@Poryg @Solwern stay on topic please. If you want to continue the conversation you could move it to PM.

IAmJakeSauvage likes this.
  20. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really love the purple bookshelves and things - I'd strongly suggest adding more carpet on the side of the store where the bookshelves are though. :)

Rhino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.