Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@IAmJakeSauvage Thanks! I kept thinking that area looks a bit weird, but I wasn't sure what I could add that wouldn't invade the extra walking space. More carpet is the perfect solution :kaoluv:

Starke

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh how I longed for a thread like this, can't believe I just now figured out about it.

Here's a few maps I created for my game Fleeting Iris, I'd appreciate any sort of feedback, positive, negative, be brutal about it, I just want to improve! Keep in mind some events are out of place or don't have the right "clip", the mapshots script does that.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Szaleczka - Is it intended that the player looks like a lilliputian in this map? The flowers and trees look much bigger than him, proportion-wise.

slimeborgi

Extra!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Monster Ranch In the works features a house and the monsters quarters.
upload_2017-5-14_14-46-58.png
The monster pick up/drop off processing. I think I'll have it display an image of the monster stored and it's level when you select it's name.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Starke: The mapping itself isn't bad at all at first glance. However, it's kind of sloppy.
Map one - it's very big, but the middle area is completely empty. It's a restaurant, so why are the tables restricted like that? Maybe put more to the middle or even decrease the size of the map.
Map two - toilet room? Well, looks ok. However, what is that toilet up there for? I mean, you have section for men, section for women... And one toilet for disabled people... And one toilet for nobody? Then a storage room and a shower room... Illogical, since shower rooms (for who anyway) are very humid and storage rooms needs to be dry.
As for the hospital, have you ever seen a hospital up close? Cars, people, visitors, patients, ambulances,... Whatever. But it's rowdy and crowded. People come and go... Maybe you can try to open some windows too. Otherwise it looks very bland (so again unnecessarily huge). Then the area in front of the hospital looks kinda sloppy regarding realism. It's a dead end, yet there's a bus stop, 4 taxis and 4 normal cars... Where in the world does the bus turn around? I would understand all those cars, since cars are more maneuverable, but I definitely don't want to try that. The last thing I want to do with my birth giving wife is trying to park a car in the opposite direction.
There's nothing bad to say about map 4. But you can again play more with the school, open some more window... Otherwise it's unnecessary to show such a huge school if it's going to have a monotonnous pattern. Maybe also decorate some windows with flowers.
Map 5 looks like a disco bar to me. It has two cashiers, one who serves drinks and one who does whatever... But again, such a bland disco bar? Also, I'm not too sure about the vending machines regarding realism. Disco bars refrain from vending machines, because they want to sell their stuff.. At least in my country.
Map 6.. Such a huge map... And a modern train. But where is everyone? Again, lots of empty space.
Map 7 looks fairly good. Just the bathroom is too huge (for our country's standards though, not sure how is it in other countries) and a TV definitely should NOT be facing the wall (unless there are naughty children). And the half closet looks kind of weird next to the full closet.. Also, the kitchen could use some more furniture for food. You have a fridge for cold food, but what for bread and other stuff that needs warm storage?
I'll keep out of any comments on the last map though, because I don't have any idea about beaches.

Starke

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Starke: The mapping itself isn't bad at all at first glance. However, it's kind of sloppy.
Map one - it's very big, but the middle area is completely empty. It's a restaurant, so why are the tables restricted like that? Maybe put more to the middle or even decrease the size of the map.
Map two - toilet room? Well, looks ok. However, what is that toilet up there for? I mean, you have section for men, section for women... And one toilet for disabled people... And one toilet for nobody? Then a storage room and a shower room... Illogical, since shower rooms (for who anyway) are very humid and storage rooms needs to be dry.
As for the hospital, have you ever seen a hospital up close? Cars, people, visitors, patients, ambulances,... Whatever. But it's rowdy and crowded. People come and go... Maybe you can try to open some windows too. Otherwise it looks very bland (so again unnecessarily huge). Then the area in front of the hospital looks kinda sloppy regarding realism. It's a dead end, yet there's a bus stop, 4 taxis and 4 normal cars... Where in the world does the bus turn around? I would understand all those cars, since cars are more maneuverable, but I definitely don't want to try that. The last thing I want to do with my birth giving wife is trying to park a car in the opposite direction.
There's nothing bad to say about map 4. But you can again play more with the school, open some more window... Otherwise it's unnecessary to show such a huge school if it's going to have a monotonnous pattern. Maybe also decorate some windows with flowers.
Map 5 looks like a disco bar to me. It has two cashiers, one who serves drinks and one who does whatever... But again, such a bland disco bar? Also, I'm not too sure about the vending machines regarding realism. Disco bars refrain from vending machines, because they want to sell their stuff.. At least in my country.
Map 6.. Such a huge map... And a modern train. But where is everyone? Again, lots of empty space.
Map 7 looks fairly good. Just the bathroom is too huge (for our country's standards though, not sure how is it in other countries) and a TV definitely should NOT be facing the wall (unless there are naughty children). And the half closet looks kind of weird next to the full closet.. Also, the kitchen could use some more furniture for food. You have a fridge for cold food, but what for bread and other stuff that needs warm storage?
I'll keep out of any comments on the last map though, because I don't have any idea about beaches.
1) Dancing area. Might just add more tables and make it a live music thing only.

2) The other toilet is for employees, the bathroom is for a scene, the glass is see-through, it's also employers only.

3) Yeah... I need to make a place for the bus to be able to rotate and populate it a lot more, thanks for the suggestion!

4) There's one window for each room on the inside. The blocked window is for a specific classroom, part of the story.

5) It was meant to be cigar vending machines, that was the closest I could find, I'll probably make one myself. There's two people at the bar because discos get crowded, sometimes you have three or more barman/barmaid.

6) Yeah, pretty empty now that I consider it, adding NPC's is kinda dull because all of my NPC's in like 50 maps have dialogue.

7) Agree with you on the bathroom, will look into fixing it somehow. LMAO, just noticed the TV thing.

8) Alrighty ^_^

Thanks for the tips!

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A map made for a cutscene for my game, Aven.
Love that map! And the lighting. Very nice atmosphere.
The statue is really well done and fits the scenery.

huubz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Szaleczka Awesome map! Really like how well the background image blends in to the map!

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think that some people here remember an old Project of mine called "The Last Princess"
Well...it suddenly turned into vikings invading the East with fantasy
This is what happens when you need to practice your logos and you end up with this...without cleanning up

heavensblood.jpg

Slimsy Platypus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Szaleczka Your map is phenomenal looking! That lighting is very beautiful.

@kovak I love that logo. Color pallet is great. Very cool!

Now for me, I haven't had much new to post in a little bit (which makes me sad because I love this thread!). But I've been slowly piecing everything together and am finally getting into the meat of being able to add content. Here's a general walk through of the menu system I've been fleshing out. I can't wait to show you guys more when it's ready!

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thx @Slimsy Platypus but i've changed it a lot but i won't be posting it today.

I'd replace some icons on Library Menu, i'm pretty sure that you've figured something like this as well:
  • Heroes - A armor or a couple of hands holding weapons doing a three musketeers pose cuz would look badass
  • Legendary Items - Some legendary items instead would catch my eyes
  • Locations - An map that looks like a scroll half open

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is another update on my map, at first i went for a 16 bit snes aesthetic, but with pixel movement and collision maps avaiable i really want to experiment with different perspectives, like the pre rendered backgrounds in psx rpgs (only painted instead of 3d in my case)
@Tuomo L good luck with the kickstarted/greenlight, the game looks great, i also love how speedy battles seem to be.
@Szaleczka really cool mapping!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amarok - The map looks nice. The character looks nice.
Both at the same time... sort of clash. Like having a high res character on a low res background, not to mention the different painting styles.
Try and see with a lower resolution char sprite. I think it'll surprisingly look better overall.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L good luck with the kickstarted/greenlight, the game looks great, i also love how speedy battles seem to be.
Thanks, battles can get very speedy but some of that came from video editing (only 50% increase in speed though) since I didn't want to bore the viewers and wanted to show the crafting and such in the context. After all, it was just a simple battle against one enemy.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L ah i see, still i like the speed, reminded me a bit of the old suikoden games.

@cabfe thanks for the crit! my idea was to get the aesthetic from old cartoons/anime where you can clearly see the difference between whats going to be animated and what not, but maybe i was a bit blinded by nostalgia haha. I will try another sprite with a painted style like the bg.

MacheteLove

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So... I'm using Yanfly's Grid-free Doodads plugin.
I wanted to add a huge tree as a focal point to the story/entrance to a dungeon.
I just put the tree down, and I think it may look ridiculous with the way the pixels are blown out.
Opinions?

Attachments

PhotonDragon13

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MacheteLove
In my opinion, it does look a little weird. If it's possible, you could try adding more detail to the tree to make it less "blown out". If not, I would maybe suggest finding another tree in that style that fits the size you want. It's just an opinion though, it's your game, so it's your decision :kaothx:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was today years old when I realized I could choose where to put choices in VNMaker. Oi.
What if I start to make final boss first then crawl down from there to make lesser bosses
i don't even know why i bother. Trying to to a simple candle light to flicker. Hour later no progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choibento