mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@esby OMG! I love it! That is so adorable.

@Scatkat Really lovely maps. Are they parallax or editor?

Scatkat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@mlogan Thanks, they are parallax. Been honing my parallaxing skills for about a year now. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. I've found that if you plan out your maps and don't make them bigger than they need to be, they look much better. Concise and condensed maps seem to turn out great.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Scatkat My OCD is killing me with your first map. (I don't actually have OCD, it's just a pathetic attempt at humor) Some parts of it are blurrier than others, and to me it's a bit jarring. For example, the lampposts, fences, and single doors are noticeably blurry while the roofs and pile of hay next to the northern house are particularly sharp. Also the character, but I'm not sure if you intend to change that. Oh, and one more thing. It seems a little dark. Perhaps it's night, or in a heavily roofed forest, but shouldn't the lamps be on? Wait a minute... Is there light coming from them? Why are they still gray? And if the light is coming from them, why are there shadows on the south side of three of the houses as if the light is coming from above? Perhaps it's a clearing the the forest and that's sunlight? I don't know. And either way, the hay pile and bush in front of the north house aren't shadowed over. HOWEVER if you fix the blurriness and lighting problems, then you have a very very good map there. I have no critique for the second map, it looks really good. Actually, the tall grass next to the cliffs looks as if it's going under the rock instead of in front of it. Sorta like what you did with the tree just northeast of the treasure chest, where the grass is actually showing in front of it. It's not a big problem and it took me quite a while to notice it, but I just thought you might want to fix that.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I would suggest posting this in the Game and Map Screenshots thread instead. With that being said, what I did was I tinted all my inside maps to make them darker, then used events to put lighting where I thought it should be, and this was the result: *spoiler image removed forgetting this quote lighter*

Still a hair off on the stools, but otherwise its mostly final.
@bgillisp WOAH! I know this back! Is that... is that? Yes it is! *skeeeee*:kaoblush:

Raijinn

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa, English
Primarily Uses
N/A
And there's a BIG BLANK SPACE, which idk what to put, any suggestions?

Sorry for my horrible shading, not exactly an art college student XD

Attachments

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Raijinn

I've merged your post with the Game Maps & Screenshot thread.

As for your question, a good rule of thumb is that if you can't find things to fill the space, make the space smaller. That being said, I'd try to work in a kitchen/table somewhere in there.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Raijinn Empty space isn't really all that bad, as long as it's decorated. I think a rug would do nicely. Mlogan's suggestion is pretty good too. I think the bedroom is also a bit bare, something hanging on the wall, or some sort of shelf/table on the south side of the room would work. But I have an even better idea! Just leave the text there on the floor! XD Wouldn't you spray-paint the floor if you had an empty room in your house like that? (In case you can't tell, I'm joking.)

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Raijinn I would both make that space smaller and create a kitchen. Use side facing furniture so that you don't have everything flat against just the back wall. For the bedroom, you need at least a cupboard where the occupant can hang some clean clothes, and a small something where they can put their socks and underwear.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
< Then I saw it. Huge, wonderful and old. If it was hundred or thousand years old, I couldn't tell. At this time I had no idea what it was, it looked like an windowless palace, molded into the rocks. I dismounted my loyal Bukephalos and went to the ancient building of which I should soon find out that it was a grave... >

I made this for a challenge and really like how it turned out :3

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Been a while since I posted any UI work.
Worked on a GUI for Valley Of Ashe (for MV). Characters are placeholders.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BCj - It looks clear and easily readable. But why are the bars shorter on the right side?

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@BCj - It looks clear and easily readable. But why are the bars shorter on the right side?
Doh, had that fixed in-game but I guess steam didn't save/reverted it again. It's not intended, when the width is set to 1280 for the status screen it looks fine.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like the clean look of it, but the one thing that bothers me is that the face boxes are not lined up with the stat boxes.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really like the clean look of it, but the one thing that bothers me is that the face boxes are not lined up with the stat boxes.
Bothers me too. But for some reason I can't modify the stats and the faceset apart from eachother. The plugin I use can't do that (yet?) :(

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh the plugin sets them up like that? What plugin is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was stunned-STUNNED-to find that I have been working on my current project since November. It feels like so much less time than that.
Stream will be live shortly with some art! Going to do a recolor, then start on a new monster! Feel free to drop by!
I've been busy working on other projects this month so I haven't been able to do much towards finishing the prep work for my RPG, but I did brainstorm some interesting ideas for the game.
redrawing one of three my VNM protags
I'm making my game in both English and Portuguese. I wonder if I should add Spanish too? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonas930