BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh the plugin sets them up like that? What plugin is it?
SuperTools. if you change the column to 2 and rows to 2 it turns into this. I actually made it better than what it was by making the height smaller, but if I'd change it anymore there'd be a massive empty spot on the screen, which looks weird too. It's a shame it doesn't divide the status window into two seperate pieces, the faceset and the bars.

carbian

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

A religious cult has set up home in an abandoned temple. This is just a mock-up of an edited Time Fantasy tileset which is still very much work-in-progress. I'm happy with the concept but I need to reconcile the brighter palette of the cult totems and imagery with the more sandy/earthy colours of the temple.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@carbian Very good! If I had to complain about something, it would be that the floor texture is repetitive, but there's not really much you can do about it. I would scatter a few pebbles around the ground, just to break up the texture a bit.

Okay, this is the first map I've completed for my main project, so make sure you tell me everything wrong with it.
Map004.png
This is the Abandoned Mine. Entry is from the east, there's some treasure you can get by exiting at the east west, and the north is how you progress.
Oh, I realized just before posting that there are no light sources... How do you recommend I handle the lighting? Just hope nobody notices? That's what the Pokémon games do...

p.s. The shadowy areas are where enemies are encountered.
EDIT: corrected direction error.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nutty171 - The first thing I noticed is that the railroads are put in place where no sane human would build them. It looks too random and not an actual railroad that became a ruin with traces here and there.
(For example, why is there a railroad in the top left to cross a pond leading to... a wall? Or, bottom right, a railroad built in a high place no one has access to? Or, central part, railroads that can't be reached by a wagon because of the walls' height difference? Not to mention that they also lead to nowhere.)

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Abdulla Al-Farsi - Maybe you could brighten some more the scene, the light sources don't cast light far enough for their sizes.
Also, why would someone "draw" (for lack of the right term) this symbol in front of the staircase if it's cut by it? Unless the staircase is a recent addition, it doesn't make sense for an artist to draw a cut design in this foyer.
And the back wall is two tiles high whereas the side walls are three tiles high. I think you've made it because of the stairs leading to left and right side, but the back wall would still be 3 tiles high nevertheless.

Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
@Abdulla Al-Farsi - Maybe you could brighten some more the scene, the light sources don't cast light far enough for their sizes.
Also, why would someone "draw" (for lack of the right term) this symbol in front of the staircase if it's cut by it? Unless the staircase is a recent addition, it doesn't make sense for an artist to draw a cut design in this foyer.
And the back wall is two tiles high whereas the side walls are three tiles high. I think you've made it because of the stairs leading to left and right side, but the back wall would still be 3 tiles high nevertheless.
Actually, I developing a horror game, so that's why I made it darker. Also, I draw this symbol in front of the staircase, because I don't what to make any empty place. Especially, when you build a big hall.

The back wall is 3 tiles, but the roof (the second floor) is covering the third tile.

autophagy

tank nerd
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish I could say I'm a beginner at mapping, but I am not...I've been mapping for many years now and unfortunately this is still the best I can do:
It's supposed to be a little, derelict town that has only a couple of inhabitants left....but my brother says it looks like a prison camp.
If anyone could give me any hints or tips how to turn this into a decent map it would be greatly appreciated...:kaoswt:

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cabfe Wow, I mean, I knew that the tracks were nonsensical, but I thought that it wouldn't be noticed... Most of the rails however lead toward an exit. The one on the ledge I will remove, and the one leading across the water... How else would the miners transport the precious crystals across the water? Minecart tracks are easier to build than a land bridge. But I agree with your point. I'll probably add some more broken-up rails to make them look as if they were all connected and led to the exits. The ones that go over the height difference... Those rails were sloped up, but have since collapsed. But on second thought, they look a bit to orderly to have fallen from a height. So yeah. I need to touch up the rails. Anything else (such as the lighting)?

@autophagy First things first, get rid of those horrendous shadows. MV's default shadows are terrible, terrible, terrible. I also noticed that you have a couple tile errors with the fences. The fence tiles that are supposed to be ┌'s are ├'s in your map. I also suggest varying the decoration instead of, for example, using the same flower throughout the map. Also, the road is in perfect shape. Shouldn't it be messed up too? Plus, you should probably break up the dirt paths a bit, just so they don't look so well-traveled.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lso, the road is in perfect shape. Shouldn't it be messed up too?
I disagree. Look out side your house, go for a walk down your street there are plenty of straight roads. some have roads branching off, some have bends, but theres plenty of straight roads.

The issue here is that the paths don't work with the road, the paths and the houses look decrepit and broken thus, the road its self should also be in the same situation. There is never normally a dirt path by a well paved road, city planners generally put in side walks, there might be paths leading off those side walks, but generally their isn't dirt paths.

@Abdulla Al-Farsi The issue I have with your map is the RTP character in such a "grand" space. He is too small for his surroundings. Maybe consider a larger sprite?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@autophagy I think a little shift clicking would help, especially on that path in front of the bottom row of houses to get rid of that grass edge. If you do a search in the Resource section you could find some edits that make peak at the front. Doing that for the part that sticks out on the house with the orange roof will help it look less awkward.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@autophagy For town that only have a few residents, with a lot of empty houses you should remember that no one is repairing the roads anymore, so cracks, broken parts and lots of weeds breaking through the cracks. Also, there are lots of plants growing, so you could clutter up the dirt paths a bit and even a bit of trash (if you can find it)... broken windows might help, too. Since it is a modern game from the roads, you could always put a broken down car or two, even some modern touches like power lines and such...
( =^_^= )

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@autophagy I just thought of something: Theres a documentary on youtube about Centrillia, the town with a coal fire under it. Watch it. It will show you a decrepit town.

autophagy

tank nerd
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the feedback!

@Nutty171 Alright, removed the shadows from the houses. As for the fence tiles, I can't figure out what you mean. I just placed the corners normally? Thanks for bringing the road to my attention, I changed it. I hope I didn't overdo it. Also added some variation to the paths. I didn't change the flowers, since those were a design choice on my part actually! I thought it would look nice if the flowers had a "theme" of sorts?

@Eviticous Huh? I've seen dirth paths leading away from paved roads. It's very common in rural areas. I watched the trailer of the documentary, but from what I understand there's not much actually left of the town...?

@Sharm Thanks for the tip with the shift-clicking, I somehow didn't remember to do that for the paths. I added some now. I'm not sure what you mean with the peak of the house, though?

@Caitlin Power lines and broken windows are a really good idea. The other changes were addressed already. :)

I made some additional small adjustments, and I also gave the church a different roof, I think this one works better...

Does this look better?
Edit: Ninja edit.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@autophagy Look at the relative placement of your doors and windows. You have one line of windows. However, they are higher than the tops of your doors. The people inside would never be able to see out of them. If you only want one floor, then I suggest you drop the windows down a tile and remove one line of tiles from the walls of all the houses. You will have something that has a better proportion.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I disagree. Look out side your house, go for a walk down your street there are plenty of straight roads. some have roads branching off, some have bends, but theres plenty of straight roads.

The issue here is that the paths don't work with the road, the paths and the houses look decrepit and broken thus, the road its self should also be in the same situation
Um, you just said that I was wrong and then agreed with me...?

As for the fence tiles, I can't figure out what you mean. I just placed the corners normally?
I tried my best to explain it with a picture...
Example.png
See the difference between the two tiles on the right? On the bottom, the fence extends upwards as well as right and down. You fixed it for one of the errors, but the most upper-left fence tile still has an error.
I didn't change the flowers, since those were a design choice on my part actually! I thought it would look nice if the flowers had a "theme" of sorts?
Okay, I see what you're saying. But there are four kinds of grass tufts:
Example2.png
And you only used the rightmost. It's not a huge problem though.
One more thing about your map that I forgot to mention last time, the tall grass patches in the southwest are rectangular. If the town's been abandoned, how is somebody still mowing perfect rectangles in the lawn?

EDIT: Oh and one more thing:
Tile error.png
You have a couple roof tile errors there, and, unless you do something about it, you can walk up on the roof because of that grass tuft.

Last edited:

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not good recording video, but yet satisfied. Created a "secret boss" where the bosses are theirs in other version.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Henryetha Does "Boy" have no name? Oh, and why are there flowers on top of the trees?
Tile error2.png
Disconnected textures are my worst nightmare.
Honestly though, it's a really really good map.

Okay, I pretty much fixed the minecart rail issue with my map, the tracks are still a bit nonsensical, but I'm satisfied and too lazy to change them anymore.
Map004.png

Last edited:

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Does "Boy" have no name? Oh, and why are there flowers on top of the trees?
View attachment 65875
Disconnected textures are my worst nightmare.
Honestly though, it's a really really good map.
Thank you very much!
"Boy" is just a placeholder, I'll probably put some old german name like "Karl" or sth :biggrin: Anyway, the player chooses his own name in this game :)
Yep and why are flowers on the top, good question.... they are magic trees? xD Okay not really, I sometimes just like to decorate and then don't really care about leaving things like they would be in the real world, hmm.. In case, let's just say they are magic trees! :stickytongue:
Oh and that texture.. I guess I'd never had seen this by myself, thank you, now I can fix this! :D

As for your map, the mine.. I just can say, wow it's big! I'd love to see it in game, with lightning etc ^^
As for some advice.. I would just shift click the dark floor behind hills etc, as the floor usually would continue there.
Else it's a nice map and I also think, it's not easy to create such a big map + limited to rtp resources.
Good job there ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally finished my menu redesign after like a month of coding! I hate designing menus... Good news though - I thought of a complete redesign for it now, so yay...
Still no scam calls all day... also I got a quick gig designing a mascot drawing for a small business, so I might actually make some green of my own after all. That would be a perfect job for me, since I love art and digital design.
Job concerns. Love where I work, but I have severe anxiety while I'm outside at night.
It's nice to see the evolution of my game: Here is a video with the first WIP:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YaBoiKetchup