Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did I ever tell you how bad I am at indoor mapping? No? I'm bad at indoor mapping. Really bad. And you're going to see just how bad with my latest map(s), which is the cabin you see in the Crystal Woods.
Map007.png

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first piece of advice is make the room 5x smaller.

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did I ever tell you how bad I am at indoor mapping? No? I'm bad at indoor mapping. Really bad. And you're going to see just how bad with my latest map(s), which is the cabin you see in the Crystal Woods.
You have a lot of dead space - and you can tell mostly because you're filling your spaces with the same items many times. I would cut your maps by almost half to be honest - keep in mind that when there's a lot of repetition on a map they look a lot less lived-in/viable.

I'll link you to a project that I think does in-editor mapping really, really well and you can take a peek at their construction. The general rules are to avoid a box shape/repetition.

https://rpgmaker.net/games/2985/

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
P.S. I wrote this post at 10:00 pm, so excuse if I say anything really stupid. (Like this)
My first piece of advice is make the room 5x smaller.
You have a lot of dead space - and you can tell mostly because you're filling your spaces with the same items many times. I would cut your maps by almost half to be honest - keep in mind that when there's a lot of repetition on a map they look a lot less lived-in/viable.
Can I disagree for a bit here? We all know the general rule of designing anything (or at least I hope we do): form follows function. This cabin isn't just a cabin for one guy. It's a cabin for a mining crew of up to sixteen people. It'd already be cramped with sixteen people in it. If I half the size of the map, it will look much less like a building meant for several people. But maybe you're saying, "but the function is primarily for gameplay," and I can see your point. But two things: First, this building in particular is made for world-backstory-exposition and generally environment rather than gameplay anyways. Second, and more importantly, you have to draw the line somewhere. Of course, many realistic things would ruin gameplay, but, on the other hand, too heavy a focus on gameplay can ruin the game world. Or I'm just making up excuses so I don't have to redo the map. :p I'm also just now realizing that I used the exact same crack pattern throughout the entire thing. I'll definitely fix that when I get the chance. And is dead space really that bad? I don't think it's so bad when I'm playing.
I'll link you to a project that I think does in-editor mapping really, really well and you can take a peek at their construction.
Sorry, I don't really have the time (or dedication, honestly) to download a game and a set of tilesets so I can look at some houses. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nutty171 Actually, I have a suggestion that might help your situation.. Edit the beds, so they are bunk bed instead of single beds... They are really good space savers and if you can find sideways versions of the beds, it might further help.... And if you organize the place like more than one man lives there, it might help. Each spot has a purpose like cooking, eating, supplies, sitting area. Just my thought and I am certain that will help. Of course, you are free to ignore my suggestions.

Eviticous

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It'd already be cramped with sixteen people in it. If I half the size of the map, it will look much less like a building meant for several people.
The problem as I implied and @IAmJakeSauvage actually mentioned was that you have way too much space and you are re-using assets for the sake of filling up space, so while I understand your intentions, I would take a look and what assets you do have and what assets you can work with and shrink the building to something that the assets you do have can be used with out serious repetition. You can make a building designed for 30 people, but have "rooms" the player cant access, like in some FF games there a pub with a door you cant access, it allowed them to make the room smaller, but give the illusion there was more.

autophagy

tank nerd
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nutty171 I think it may not be necessary to make it smaller or add inaccessible rooms, actually.

There are a few things I noticed however. While you say that 16 people live there, I only counted 15 chairs? Only 12 of them are at the tables, so where does the rest of them eat? The room is also missing any sort of cooking utensils and places to store food. Continuing this thought, I believe there is not enough storage space in general.

Also, upstairs there's this huge hole in the floor, and the bed is shifted down to avoid the hole. But wouldn't miners be able to fix it, at least provisory? Or, if they didn't live there anymore when the hole happened, who shifted the bed?

The carpet and floor looks somewhat awkward to me as well. I don't think carpets crack like that? Neither do wooden floors as far as I'm aware. The planks would get rotten and break, with the ground beneath them showing through. And with the hole upstairs, wouldn't there be a huge pile of debris downstairs? Or did someone remove it?

The only repetition that really sticks out to me is the broken barrels. Maybe remove them or add more variation to them?

I hope I don't sound nitpicky, but if you go the realistic route these are things you might want to consider. :)

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Ok as you said the maps were too big, I began on reworking them.
So that's the Inn now (the whole thing this time..)

edit: now seeing the whole picture I think I gonna add stairs, which lead nowhere and the player cannot access, but indicating private rooms above from the owner.

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@RocketKnight
I actually like the fires.. ^^
That's good.

@RocketKnight hey man, always loved your maps! And these are great.. I like the fire ? Is it animated ? I love all the junk etc did you make them yourself ? As I'm looking for a lot of junk tiles, will take me ages if I have to make them haha.
Thanks man! The fire it's animated, 6 frames and about the junk it's a edit.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can make a building designed for 30 people, but have "rooms" the player cant access, like in some FF games there a pub with a door you cant access, it allowed them to make the room smaller, but give the illusion there was more.
Could you please explain more? I haven't played a FF game in my entire life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are a few things I noticed however. While you say that 16 people live there, I only counted 15 chairs? Only 12 of them are at the tables, so where does the rest of them eat? The room is also missing any sort of cooking utensils and places to store food. Continuing this thought, I believe there is not enough storage space in general.
Well, I try to defend my design choices yet I honestly didn't plan it out much.

Also, upstairs there's this huge hole in the floor, and the bed is shifted down to avoid the hole. But wouldn't miners be able to fix it, at least provisory? Or, if they didn't live there anymore when the hole happened, who shifted the bed?
I'm just too lazy to make/find an overturned bed tile to put on the first floor. :p

The carpet and floor looks somewhat awkward to me as well. I don't think carpets crack like that? Neither do wooden floors as far as I'm aware. The planks would get rotten and break, with the ground beneath them showing through. And with the hole upstairs, wouldn't there be a huge pile of debris downstairs? Or did someone remove it?
Oops. Forgot about that too. Wow. I did say that I was bad at indoor mapping, and I was right!

@Henryetha Not that it's a huge problem, it's funny imagining the guy who ordered the rugs for the foyer. "Yeah, can I have carpets that are rectangular, but with a long, 1-foot wide bit sticking out the corner?" Oh. Also,
Error.png Shouldn't the rug on the right go behind the wall too?

Eviticous

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could you please explain more? I haven't played a FF game in my entire life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any rpg game will have this. Look at any you play or have played, they will create spaces with doors or rooms that you as the player cannot go to. When creating maps its important to ask your self: Why does the player need to go over here, whats over here for the player, is it story? Is it items? Can they be moved to the main part?

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, folks!

So, since I finally finished the outside area and the ground floor map for one of the locations I figured I'd post them here ,to see what you guys think.

There are no events/NPCs, yet. They will be added later. The roof area's still pretty empty but as it is a roof, I don't really know what to put there besides chimneys. Maybe I'll make it less flat but then I might get some perspective issues.

No events/NPCs here, either. The light coming in through the windows is a bit intense, I think. I'll probably soften it out a bit.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any rpg game will have this. Look at any you play or have played, they will create spaces with doors or rooms that you as the player cannot go to.
The only RPGs I remember playing are Pokémon and Paper Mario. And Zelda: a Link Between Worlds, if that counts. And so, I've pretty much learned that buildings in RPGs are one or two rooms each. :p (I still haven't gotten a chance to redo the map yet.)

@Gonor I can't find anything wrong with your first map. Though it does look like quite a bit of blank space to traverse... As for your second map, yes, the lighting is intense. The checkered floor and purple lights had me looking for the disco lights at first. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And you have an error on the left mirror:
Error2.png The row with two goblets is closer to the mirror, yet you have the row with one goblet closer to the mirror in the reflection.

EDIT: Okay, I completely redid the first floor, and before I go destroying it, I'd like to make sure I'm doing this right.
Map009.png The left side is definitely missing something, but I can't figure out what to put there...

Last edited:

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
@Nutty171
How about some empty glasses etc on the table?
Sure, theoretically the guys tidied up, but practically it would make your map look more lively ^^
But those were.. 16 miners? Are the 32 seats intentionally?

And the cabin is still abandoned? putting back some moss would do a good job.
I don't remember if there were default in rpg maker broken chairs.. if not, there are resources in the forum of rtp edits, as it's a small tile, it could be added easily on one of the existing tiles, broken chair, thrown chair, or with spider web, then I'd replace 1 or 2.

autophagy

tank nerd
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Henryetha I think he meant that he hasn't broken stuff yet because he wants to get the basics right first. If you were just giving tips for that future destroying (as he called it), please disregard my comment. :kaoswt2:

@Nutty171 I'm glad you included some of my tips! :) The kitchen unit definitely looks more realistic now.

A thing about the tables that I thought of just now, I believe it would look better if there weren't two huge tables but instead a couple of smaller ones. I imagine it would be hard to build and transport such big tables, it's more something I would expect to see in a royal people's dining hall. So you could divide the big tables into smaller ones. But this is highly optional, it's totally possible that they built such big tables and transported them into the cabin. It just seems unlikely to me, you know? But like I said, it may be a nitpick.

Or, alternatively, you could put less chairs and make the tables smaller altogether. Right now you have very little space left on the left side of the room, but if the tables didn't take up this much space there, you could put something more elaborate there. As it is right now, you'd have to squeeze something small there, and I really can't think of anything that could be.

As for ideas how to fill the new space if you do reduce the "table space", let me brainstorm...

Maybe put some (or one) low shelve(s) there? That would give the miners space to put their shoes when they get home. Combined with clothes hangers, which would allow them to put dirty jackets and helmets, and stuff, maybe. I realize that this might be difficult to implement with this perspective and RTP tiles, though. If the shelves are lined up with the wall, people might not be able to recognize them as shelves as they would just look like a long wooden box. But if you have enough space, you could put two of them sideways (so they are facing the viewer) or so. As for the clothes hangers, I'm not sure...as far as I'm aware no RTP tiles exist for those. I could try making some (it doesn't seem like much work to me) but I'm not sure what they would look like exactly. Maybe like this? In case you decide on these you could just leave out the shelves.

Alternatively, or additionally, I know that not so long ago, people used to have big chests in their rooms. Don't ask me please what they kept in there. But they were a really common sight. If you still need more stuff to fill the space, you could include one of them.

Other than that, I think the room looks fine! It's much better than the old one already.

(Sorry for this long post, I am unable to write short posts for some reason...I hope it helps!)

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about some empty glasses etc on the table?
Sure, theoretically the guys tidied up, but practically it would make your map look more lively ^^
But those were.. 16 miners? Are the 32 seats intentionally?
Empty glasses would be a good idea... They probably tidy up in the evenings after a day's work instead of in the mornings before getting to work. I plan on redoing the second floor too. And when I do, I'm going to use bunk beds, thus doubling the amount of beds. :p

And the cabin is still abandoned? putting back some moss would do a good job.
I don't remember if there were default in rpg maker broken chairs.. if not, there are resources in the forum of rtp edits, as it's a small tile, it could be added easily on one of the existing tiles, broken chair, thrown chair, or with spider web, then I'd replace 1 or 2
Autophagy was right, I'm just making the map as a normal house, and then when I get the layout down, I'm going to trash the whole thing.

A thing about the tables that I thought of just now, I believe it would look better if there weren't two huge tables but instead a couple of smaller ones. I imagine it would be hard to build and transport such big tables, it's more something I would expect to see in a royal people's dining hall. So you could divide the big tables into smaller ones. But this is highly optional, it's totally possible that they built such big tables and transported them into the cabin. It just seems unlikely to me, you know? But like I said, it may be a nitpick.
I'm just quoting this so I can remember to do that when I get the chance. All of your ideas in this post are pretty good! I do plan on extending the left side if I can figure out what to put there. :D

EDIT: (This edit was made after @autophagy liked my post, so keep in mind that she may or may not actually like this map) Here's the next (unbroken) version of floor 1... Not sure I like it that much...
Map009.png

EDIT2: I remade floor 2, also not ruined yet, but uh, I used the messed up bed tiles because I don't have the not messed up ones. :p
Map010.png The "bunk tables" aren't exactly top-notch, if you know what I mean...
EDIT3: I remade floor 2 again. And again.

Last edited:

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nutty171 The maps are very good, but I would like to talk about one point:

Beware of repetition of objects. Principle with these wood textures, which are well detailed and can make the maps a bit confusing.
Because of the repetition, their bunk beds and tables finally lost a little depth. Nothing that a bigger shading does not solve. The same goes for some other decorating items and objects.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I leave here some maps. They are just mapping tests. Others are representations of other graphic styles I like. No map posted here was or will be used in any project, since they have some graphics whose authors I do not know. However, other maps that will not be used either have free charts. None of the tilesets or charsets are my creation, although I have edited a few.

Last edited:

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya Are you using Google Translate? If not, I suggest you do... "Beware of repetition of objects. (That's pretty simple) Principle with these wood textures, which are very detailed and can make the maps a bit confusing. (Can you please try to use a synonym of "principle"? I can't figure out what you mean by that) Because of the repetition, their bunk beds and tables finally lost a little depth. (Do you mean "depth" as in they look flat on the ground rather than tall and raised above the ground?) Nothing that a bigger shading does not solve. (So are you saying that I should give shadows to the beds and tables?) The same goes for some other decorating items and objects. (I would understand what that meant if I understood the previous sentence :p)
So, from what I can figure out, are you wanting me to add shadows to the objects?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Of all the graphic styles that you have, I like the first one best.

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nutty171 Yes, I am. I do not speak english. With "principle" I meant mainly. Yes, in depth I meant just that. As soon as you set the light and shadow on objects better, the map will become clearer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1 million messages is approaching. The end is near! M1M is like Y2K, but forum based. It's a bug that's gonna delete all attachments when we hit 1 mil messages. At least with Y2K we had warning....
If you manage to make a game that people play for hours, then reminding them to take a break gives that “This game cares about me” feeling and also lowers chance of burnout with your game.
Well... things are slow. I'm still waiting to get called back into my position, but I do have some time to design my games.
Suddenly wanna hear this ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandiedWaffle