Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya Okay, I know what you mean now and it makes perfect sense. I'll edit it once I get the chance.

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I tried to make a peninsula map but it looks really.. weird :kaoswt: What should I do?
peninsula_zpsthdrwh43.png

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@callmedan You're map is far too empty. I like the shape and such but far too empty. You don't want to stick thinhgs for the sake of sticking things, but you also want to make the map "busier."

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya Is this what you wanted?
Map010.png I just changed the tiles to add more shadow to the lower bunks and tables.

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nutty171 In general, yes, but it would be better if you shadowed the whole object below. See that a small part goes on without the shadow. It would be right if there were a light source in the lower part of the image, diagonally cutting the bottom of the floor. This room only shows a small window at the top. I suggest you make a local lighting scheme to help you.

@callmedan As they said, the map is only empty. The base and shape of the terrain are excellent. Just be careful with "how" you will fill it. If you use too many events to complement the mapping, you might need an Antilag or something similar. I say this because my notebook is too slow. To create a scenario like this I would have to split it into three or four maps.

@Henryetha
I would also like to comment on your map, as I quite liked the lighting. But I had difficulty understanding some points. The windows next to the fireplace are dark, which makes me think it's night. That said, that "rectangle" above the kitchen sink would be an electric light bulb?

In addition, there are torches on the wooden walls. Not that they are wrong, I think that would be good sense of the builder.

Well, like I said, the lighting and ambiance are great. If someone has punctuated these things, and I'm just repeating, ignore.

Ps: Should not there be a wall between the kitchen and the living room with the pool table? I believe you extended the ceiling and forgot about it.

Last edited:

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya There is in fact a window on the lower side that you can see from the outside of the building. How would you recommend that I show that there is a window in the lower side from the inside? Also, I don't know what you mean by "local lighting scheme." And, I'm just making sure I'm right here, are you saying that what I already have there is okay if there is a window on the lower side?

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nutty171 I meant a sketch of local lighting. I took the liberty of making some markings on the map for ease of explanation. You see, by the number of objects and their size, you can see that this is a large room. That said, you have two points of light emission, marked in yellow (and representing the windows). Even during the day, only two small windows would not fully illuminate the environment. In purple, I marked areas that might receive a slight shade. Note that I ignored the bunks, but in detailed lighting their position is quite influential. I also ignored possible light sources in the ceiling.

And yes, considering that you are using graphics with little shading, the result is already good. And remembering that my suggestions are based on personal preferences. There is nothing wrong with maps with little or no lighting.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And yes, considering that you are using graphics with little shading, the result is already good. And remembering that my suggestions are based on personal preferences. There is nothing wrong with maps with little or no lighting.
Ah, that's a relief. Honestly, I don't have enough dedication to do detailed lighting in all of my maps. :p

EDIT (whee): I just finished destroying floor 1, and I'm quite proud of it this time.
Map009.png

EDIT2 (whee): I just finished destroying floor 2, and I'm a little less proud of it this time.
Map010.png

Last edited:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I feel like something is really odd with the walls in this map. Maybe it's the height that are disproportionate.

10ciurn.jpg

I already reconsidered splitting them into two maps. Perhaps that's better. :p

@Nutty171 Why don't you place those cabinets and kitchen stove against the walls? It's pretty awkward to have them in the middle of the room like that.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Working on a project and I figured I'd show a couple of the maps. Nothing fancy, but they work. Using Tiled to make these maps, so they are easier to work with.

toh_room1.jpg

toh_throneroom.jpg

Shrunk them down a tiny bit because I'm using FSM tiles. Also, thanks to @Avery for her wonderful chest character set that is shown in the first screenshot.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mr. Detective Your walls look strange because they're four tiles high near the stairs and two everywhere else. They don't look sloped with the stairs either, if that's what you were going for. I would recommend:
Suggestion.png This is of course, a mockup, and you probably want the rails to go up sideways on the edges. Also, if you do that, you can add statues there, or at least that's what I would do.

I've seen plenty of a few kitchens that have counters not up against the walls. But my real reason for not having them up against the walls? I don't have tiles that face sideways. And I'm too lazy to make or find some. :p

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm testing out a new mapping style. How does it look?
44919-8bb97f1821c2068b9f98a20e49eb77d1.jpg

I'm mostly wanting comments on the bottom invisible walls, but if you see anything off in the rest of the map, let me know.

Attachments

• Map009.png
    Map009.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 14

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm testing out a new mapping style. How does it look?
-snip-
I'm mostly wanting comments on the bottom invisible walls, but if you see anything off in the rest of the map, let me know.

Honestly, reminds me of a map style I did once.

5Cpnp.png

That being said, I think it looks fine. Adding a bit more detail to show the floor better, like I did in this old screenshot with the foundation, would benefit your map. The walls the way you have them can be kept that way as I've seen other commercial, older RPGs use the same style. So yeah, looks good so far.

JackCL

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I'm mostly wanting comments on the bottom invisible walls

Yes, I also do without the lower walls, so the effect of the "theatrical scene" is created.
But I think in this case you need a foundation for the floorboards.

T1KyPKX.png

Also, I prefer thin side walls in this case, because the top part of the walls is not needed at all.
But this is a matter of taste, of course. Depending on the selected tileset, there may be different ways.

kAtT3DE.png

Last edited:

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Princess Bananabelle It's nice, but it irks me that there's a wall on one side of the entryway and not the other. But, I blame that on my not OCD. Also, the fireplace shouldn't be that close to any flammable object. Especially the walls and floor.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@djDarkX I added the foundation like you suggested and it looks better.

@JackCL I like the thin walls, but I plan to stick to the RTP. I might edit it later on though.

@Nutty171 It bothered me too at first and I tried to work around it, but nothing looked good so I just stuck with this. I've gotten used to it now.
As for the fireplace, it would make sense to have stone surround it, but I'm having a hard time making it not look out of place...

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been continuing to chip away at my project adding assets like crazy. How does this battleback look with the sprites? I'm debating with myself whether I need to scale everything on the battleback down...
I think it all looks really fluid! Nice work.

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
@Faherya
Yes, the thing over the kitchen sink is electric light.
I had the kitchen separated to the guest room first, but then removed the wall. The Inn is located in a very small village, the waitress also prepares the drinks and some food, so I've let the way open, so she could just walk fast from one place to another.
About the torches.. you're totally right. Myself I was thinking about that but forgot about it. I'd like to keep them tho, so I guess I'll try to put sth like this behind them:
zae58mpf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.
Pyra and Mythra in smash ultimate are way too OP. They're basically Smash 4 Bayonetta 2.0, and not in a good way. Very toxic and unfair. At least they're hot tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skybola188