Game & Map Screenshots 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@callmedan That map looks really good. I'm no map expert, but I can atleast tell you that I would enjoy exploring that area.

I'm trying to map with the new style again. I'd like to get rid of all horizontal walls except the back ones, but it ends up looking out of place. So, keeping the walls there, how does this look? I wish I could see more of the bedrooms, but atleast I can see what needs to be seen.

Attachments

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Princess Bananabelle Thank you ! :)
For your map, it's not my mapping style so I can't say it's good or not. But I think the front horizontal walls look a bit empty.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@callmedan Yeah, I notice that now. I've been focusing on the style more than the map. Anyway I've since added a painting and some other details around the map.

Warlyte

Writer/Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I'm doing some practice on both mapping and certain eventing mechanics. Combining them led to this little cave with a couple of super-simple block pushing puzzles. I tried not to use much space that wasn't needed for that, and threw down a couple decorations where I could, but I'm still not sure if this is a decent result.

Blockpush1.png Blockpush2.png

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@callmedan Much better, but someone must have already said that the house does not fit well with the rest, right? They are very different graphic styles. See how it stands out even in this broad view.

@Princess Bananabelle I like the style. The maps are OK, even if this view damages those recesses at the bottom.

@Tuomo L Sorry, I could not see the video to review. My internet is very slow :(

@Warlyte Using small size maps is a good trick. However, theirs are still a little empty. I'd say it's terrain. Earth usually requires lots of detail not to get weird, and size does not allow you to spread a lot. Well, that's very personal too. In particular, I would trade the earth for stone flooring or something similar.

@RocketKnight Excellent. I have no comments; D

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@callmedan Much better, but someone must have already said that the house does not fit well with the rest, right? They are very different graphic styles. See how it stands out even in this broad view.

@Princess Bananabelle I like the style. The maps are OK, even if this view damages those recesses at the bottom.

@Tuomo L Sorry, I could not see the video to review. My internet is very slow :(

@Warlyte Using small size maps is a good trick. However, theirs are still a little empty. I'd say it's terrain. Earth usually requires lots of detail not to get weird, and size does not allow you to spread a lot. Well, that's very personal too. In particular, I would trade the earth for stone flooring or something similar.

@RocketKnight Excellent. I have no comments; D
Aw, that's a shame. I tried to keep it short and small in size to allow slow nets. :(

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tuomo L Excuse me. When I say "slow internet" I say something like that. And today it has a pretty good speed.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Warlyte First things first, get rid of those horrendous shadows. MV's default shadows are terrible, terrible, terrible. Also, shadows like that are extremely unrealistic in caves. And for your second map, you can see that the higher part is one tile high, while the crate is only half a tile high, so it won't line up. P.S. Also in your second map, unless you did something about it, you can't enter the passageway because the floor tile will block it.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am not showing off my mapping skills in this post, I am simply asking for guidance. Do not judge the maps, they are NO WHERE NEAR DONE, judge the questions.

One of the issues I have found with some of the "pay for" tile sets, which is: Season Towns is the following:

Sample - Clashing.png

So as you can see the paths clash with the grass and the river also clashes with the grass, there is a way to fix this, use the same grass, but then they clash with the cliffs grass. There is no win win here (for those of you who have used this tile set, ideas are welcome.

This is suppose to be a layout of section of the game, how ever the issue is very evident .... (this would be what I export to parallax) This particular tile set does not work with RTP either, it clashes heavily.

So I thought ok, lets use the same colored grass (The map will look a bit different)
2017-06-14T20-02-52.611Z Hills of Dentrillia 00.png

Ok so now things are more constant. The issue is now the cliff grass doesn't match the regular grass. Any ideas? I technically could do this in Photoshop where I change it, but that's more work then its worth. So could I technically get away with this or would you guys start screaming Clash of the grass?

Has any one used this tile set? It looks amazing for towns and such but I wanted to see if I could do a plains/forest/mountain area. I think I found it's limitations.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Eviticous I don't own this tileset so I've never worked with it, but if it were me I'd just go ahead and edit it. The clash is kind of off-putting to me. It seems weird for a paid tileset to have this issue.

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kisai : The maps not that bad, so you do seem to know what you're doing. :ewink:
But especially the upper grass areas are a bit empty.
Also, the grass of the small pond seems to have an odd border with the cobblestone. It seems to be the RTP's fault, though. (That are could use some more detail, too. Some water plants or flowers around the pond. Also a tree could fit in well.)
If I were you, I'd try to hide that somehow. Can't seem to get an idea right now, though.

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Luiishu535 that map looks dope man :thumbsup-right: @Kisai for someone that don't know what your doing, it looks pretty dam good :D I like the layout of the town just what Gonor said about eh grass of the small pond, but not much you could do about that, could fence it off or if you ever try parallax mapping you could blend it in etc.

Just finished another map for my fan game, took more time this one did but still think I could make it better somehow? :unsure: it does animate going up and down.
FFROS ELAVATOR.PNG

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kisai First things first, get rid of those horrendous shadows. MV's default shadows are terrible, terrible, terrible. Otherwise though, I think it's a pretty good map! The only other thing wrong I can think of is that the walls seem too short to be protective walls. Where does the well get its water from? The pond right next to it? If so, then why does it exist?

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kisai I love little towns like that. Remind me of the Final Fantasy of SNES. They have already told you what to improve, like details, a bit of the shape of the houses and so on. Bet this and style, and when you have something ready, I'll want to see.

@SoSick. Excellent, but the charset is a little weird. You have altered not just the size of the graphics, but the whole style. Soon an RTP head is very prominent. I'm not sure what the exact size of your sprite is, but in terms of proportion, I suggest following the RPG Maker XP charset template. Other than that, I repeat, excellent.

@Luiishu535 I like the style, I like the map. I have nothing else to say haha

I was playing with the MV RTP. I have to admit that they are much harder to illuminate than I thought. Especially when you plan to include not too strong lighting.

Last edited:

Orb

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
So I made this (very long) map for my game:

The concept was clear to me, but it was very difficult to represent that transition from urban castle to sandy beach. Also I feel like the inner fort looks kinda empty and boring. Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I guess if you're just going solo dev, minimize features is better choice.
As close as possible, now I draw all of them with little by little needle sticking.
Welp, back to the drawing board...
Ami
--- Overused ---

Hero: (Drink 3 HP Bottle L)
F.Healer: Don't drink too much,or you got sick!
Hero: Nah,i'm okay. it's the way to repleni---
(Hero Collapse)
Hero: (Weak) Ugh...my head (Coughing Then Vomiting)
F.Healer: I told you to don't Drink 3 HP Bottle L or you're Sick. Let's go to Doctor.
Shaking off the dust. Clearing the cobwebs. Time to get back to gam-mak!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matkacharts