Game & Map Screenshots 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SoSick. That looks really neat. I guess if you really feel like doing something to it you could do something with glass, like a light reflection? I dont know how well that would look with the light in the elevator though. Really, it looks just fine to me.

@Faherya I like the atmosphere of that map. Lighting looks good. I'm not big on lots of lighting effects either.

@Orb That beach looks great. I guess for the castle you could try putting some boxes or something the roof tiles? Maybe reshape them? You could try playing with the towers, stacking them into the corners of the roof tiles.

Kisai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kisai : The maps not that bad, so you do seem to know what you're doing. :ewink: But especially the upper grass areas are a bit empty.
Also, the grass of the small pond seems to have an odd border with the cobblestone. It seems to be the RTP's fault, though. (That are could use some more detail, too. Some water plants or flowers around the pond. Also a tree could fit in well.)
If I were you, I'd try to hide that somehow. Can't seem to get an idea right now, though.
Hm... I guess I could bring the northern wall down a little bit. Thanks for the suggestion. ^^
@Luiishu535 that map looks dope man :thumbsup-right: @Kisai for someone that don't know what your doing, it looks pretty dam good :D I like the layout of the town just what Gonor said about eh grass of the small pond, but not much you could do about that, could fence it off or if you ever try parallax mapping you could blend it in etc.
If you guys are referring to that little line of grass between the pond and the wall, I could probably fix that pretty easily with the Shift key trick. I guess I'll have to do something about that area...

BTW, when I saw your image, the first thing I thought was, "Are they trying to rip off the elevator from FFVII?" Then I noticed you said "fan game" and saw your avatar and realized that was intentional. ^^; So you managed to capture the elevator part pretty well if you got that to be my first thought.
@Kisai I love little towns like that. Remind me of the Final Fantasy of SNES. They have already told you what to improve, like details, a bit of the shape of the houses and so on. Bet this and style, and when you have something ready, I'll want to see.
I doubt anyone would want to see anything I'm trying to make. ^^; But thank, you. I'll keep trying.
@Kisai First things first, get rid of those horrendous shadows. MV's default shadows are terrible, terrible, terrible. Otherwise though, I think it's a pretty good map! The only other thing wrong I can think of is that the walls seem too short to be protective walls. Where does the well get its water from? The pond right next to it? If so, then why does it exist?
Eh? I actually don't mind the shadows that much... Are they that bad? I guess I could get rid of them, then. As for the protective walls, I originally had just a simple wooden fence around the village, to give you an idea of how bland it was in the first place. ^_^; But being twice the size of an average person, I would assume they'd provide adequate protection from monsters. But I suppose any sufficiently trained ninja or spy could get over them pretty easily. Not that a small, podunk, starting village like this would need to be spied on, or have anyone assassinated. And in my first iteration, I actually had the pond much farther away, in the upper-left hand corner of the map. But even still, I guess if there's a pond at all, there's no need for a well, huh?

Since I've gotten so many comments on that, I suppose I could get rid of the pond entirely, and just have a small field there. There might even be enough space to squeeze in another house/building.

Also, compared to everything else I've seen in this thread, it's clear I have no idea what I'm doing. ;_; But thank you for the compliments. ^_^ And suggestions!

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Orb I would say that the transition was very "gross". I mean, the stretch with vegetation is very small from the construction to the beach. But I think that's a matter of taste. In my view, the map could be much bigger.

@Arcmagik Very good. The stone floor could extend to the castle door to avoid that change of terrain. Or not, it's up to you. Was this "failure" purposeful?

@MercuryLegba Perfect! Simple and without exaggeration.

@RocketKnight Excellent. I was not able to observe the characters correctly, but it seems to me that you opted for a slimmer style. Is it your creation or do you use a template? About these flames: excellent, nothing to say.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya I am not sure which one youare referring too but mostly all the change in terrain was purposely done that way.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I see. Yeah that was intentional. Though I might dial back the grass line that shoots up there.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eh? I actually don't mind the shadows that much... Are they that bad? I guess I could get rid of them, then.
Trust me.
  1. They go below tiles on the upper layers, meaning that they don't get shadowed.
  2. They aren't realistic in the least.
  3. They are especially unrealistic on indoor maps, as they imply that there's no roof.
So yes, I would recommend getting rid of them :p

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for some feedback everyone :) @Faherya thats the one thing I keep getting now , the mv head to beefy haha, never even thought about the Rpg maker XP character templates! Will be looking into that for sure!
@michaelmartin341 thankyou! Yeah a light reflection would look pretty sick! I'll see what I can do.
@Kisai haha I'm glad that was your first reaction ! :D I tried my best to capture the look and feel but also change it up a little.
@RocketKnight MAN you smashed it up ;D looks great!

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SoSick. Are you using a base template or did you do that on your own? Have you looked at Candacis' MV Sprite+ the head is about two pixels slimmer than the standand MV heads.

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arcmagik just looked at Candacis cheers, yeah they look much more natural than the one's I'm using right now ( Mcsundae's ) I'm really stumped at which template to use man :unsure:

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Finished the demo of my game, just doing some bug fixes and then I hope to release the full version sometime in 2018 if everything goes well. Opinions?

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arcmagik & @Faherya I actually have tried candacis, his is the middle, mcsundaes on the right.. and the left is abit of both of them,
with an MV head. I think candacis Is to short , midget like in my maps etc xD what do you think. sorry for posting again.
Capture.PNG
@Solwern I like the animated battlebacks man!
@somenick add some lighting effects to those maps and will look even better !

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. They go below tiles on the upper layers, meaning that they don't get shadowed.
That is my most hated thing about about rtp shadows (not to say there are not many other reasons). Seriously, why is there not even an option to have them on top of all tiles? Or an auto kill shadow option?

edit: @Solwern set yepbattlestauswindow no action icon to 0. that grey box is no bueno. I really liked everything else,

Last edited:

Orb

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
@michaelmartin341 Thank you very much for the insight. I will definitely try something else on the castle to make it more interesting (maybe the fact that I'm using too much RTP has something to do... dunno), but yes, I'll move the towers and re-shape it, great idea :D

@Faherya Thanks for the comment, I was also thinking about that, it might look too abrupt, but at the same time I don't want to force the player to walk so much from one point to the other. Actually I took as a reference a beach I know that has the same pattern of street-grass-sand and kinda tried to make it work here without making it too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We start in 5 minutes!
I'm making MAGIC!
aww I am sad but happy for brackeys to decide to pursue something new but seing brackeys ending is so sad ;w;
Now RPG Maker has brought him here. He will never be rid of his need for it. He hates and loves the RPG Maker, just as he hates and loves himself. Featherbrain's life is a sad story. Yes, Featherbrain, he was called. Before the RPG Maker found him. Before it drove him mad.
Really struggling with XP animations but my game deserves my best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcussss