Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Haydeos It must be a lot more trouble to make, but it's so worth it. But even on your new style map, the cliff looks square and unnatural. :/

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeahhhh I should probably just get rid of it and replace it with a boulder of some kind.

(Took about an hour & a half of work in PS)

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not saying you should get rid of it. Here's a suggestion for what you can do that I think would fix it:
Before.png <--Before After.png <--After
That kind of thing would be good enough for me.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Haydeos I personally think the cliff looks fine, you've got enough trees and such on there that it doesn't scream "bare square cliff" or anything.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do somewhat agree with mlogan. It actually took me a while to "notice" the squareness.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And don't get me wrong, variation is not bad either. But if it would be incredibly time intensive to change it, I wouldn't bother. It's a lovely map and most won't notice. Just perhaps make the next cliff not so square.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mr. Detective I like the windows in the first one, actually. I am not completely sure what sort of room that you are making, an entrance hall, staircase, or other....

Me, on the other hand, after a horrible night sleep and unable to play with my new graphics \(>_<)/ I kept falling asleep, even sitting down, but oh well, I am playing with them now.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

So please ignore the crappy, crappy, map. I created this as an example in TileD, One thing I noticed is the bottom water is not an animatable tile, where as the water behind the tree is (and is animated). So I have a question this, if I made a real map where the bottom water was not animated, because I don't think Celianna meant for it to be animated, would it look weird?

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Haydeos is that parallax mapping? That looks amazing!

Rabosion

Retro Pixlr
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Haydeos : I like how your map feels bigger and wilder/more natural compared to the old one. Well done!

Eviticous

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Again please don't judge the map. I found a program called RTP Scaler which scales, smoothly or detailed, ACE tiles sets to MV, now its obviously not perfect 100%, Its more like 85 or so. Its very good, and these are more for parallaxing then anything else.

Do you think I could get away with the "artistic" side of how the tile sets look painted? I know the sprites clash, but I could argue artistic expression ....

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Again please don't judge the map. I found a program called RTP Scaler which scales, smoothly or detailed, ACE tiles sets to MV, now its obviously not perfect 100%, Its more like 85 or so. Its very good, and these are more for parallaxing then anything else.

Do you think I could get away with the "artistic" side of how the tile sets look painted? I know the sprites clash, but I could argue artistic expression ....
The trees look pretty rough compared to the rest of the assets.

Eviticous

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ya they can't go up very high, like the software has smooth and detailed, and I went with detailed but like that's the best I can do. So I've decided to say it's a "painted" effect. And keep the MV sprites because of story reasons. Which yes will clash but ... art is subjective? Maybe? Probably? (Don't hate me please Hahahaha)

Rinober

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem I'd see here is the characterset which might not fit the "painted" effect. Apart from that, I'd be fine with the tilesets style :)

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Haydeos The new map is much better than the old one.
It looks less blocky to me and feels more natural.

I'm not sure about the light grass behind the house though. Where is your light coming from.
Even if the grass behind the house itself were lighter than that in front, I think it's too bright. If you want it to be lit by the sun you should expand the lighter area more.

Eviticous

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem I'd see here is the characterset which might not fit the "painted" effect. Apart from that, I'd be fine with the tilesets style :)
I decided to keep the MV sprites just because, I'm one man and can only do so much hahaha, so I worked it into the story :) It also gives contrast between the "old" and the "new" in a way.

Cranky Construct

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I just joined, but here's an image from the RPG I'm working on. Decided to try and make all the assets myself for it. The character's missing a drop shadow long with the trees etc, but I'm planning on using Yanfly's doodads to help remedy that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

aww I am sad but happy for brackeys to decide to pursue something new but seing brackeys ending is so sad ;w;
Now RPG Maker has brought him here. He will never be rid of his need for it. He hates and loves the RPG Maker, just as he hates and loves himself. Featherbrain's life is a sad story. Yes, Featherbrain, he was called. Before the RPG Maker found him. Before it drove him mad.
Really struggling with XP animations but my game deserves my best.
I think the characters are really too short. Should at least add a little more
Just the legs should be longer.
Ami
--- Survival For RPGist ---

Survivalist: I going to Test you: How to make the Fire.
F.Mage: That easy. (Preparing the Spell) EXPLOSIVE!!!
(an Explosion on the Wood Branch then Fire is Appeared)
F.Mage: (Proud Face) See?
Survivalist: (Angry Tone) MAGIC ISN'T ALLOWED!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goblin_Julius