cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SoSick. - The one that blends the best with your realistic mapping would be the one on the far left, in my opinion.
The short one is too short (if the guards are not supposed to be giants) and the one on the right, shoulder to shoulder with a guard, looks too stiff with his arms so straight along his body.

DeviTheHuman

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SoSick - I feel like the guard style looks best against the backdrop, but I think the tall light-haired one on the bottom left probably comes closest to the guard's style.

thepsyche

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm having difficulty figuring out how to give the impression of the player traveling higher while traversing in a down direction. See screen shot below:

The stairs lead to a higher part of the map, but it clearly looks like they're decending. Any tricks for this?

Attachments

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need to change the tiles left of the stairs. These are walls and although technically this situation would be possible in real life, it won't in RPG Maker due to the perspective of things.

In the tileset there should be tiles (maybe in the B, or C tab) you can use. I can't give you an image as an example right now but they should look like the regular floor tiles you use with rounded edges.
You can put them next to the stairs. But you might need to change something about the wall there, too. Can't give you any advice at the moment because I don't know how you'll add the new tiles in.

I hope this helps-

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Luiishu535 Thanks for the feedback! The map you shared shows excellent detail though my preference is for the path tiles to blend with the environment though depending on the nature of your game, it can stay like that.

@SoSick. The notice board emission effect doesn't have to be above the notice board as your game is top-down view, just focus more on the sides and downwards. I think the character sprites have been mentioned already so I'll address the desk? at the robot. If it's a glass table, work on light refraction or at least shadows and alphas.

EDIT: Underneath a waterfall cavern, I have no idea how to upgrade this map any further though I haven't given up...

Attachments

Last edited:

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Time Fantasy version of the Kingdom of Meluvet for Legion Saga MV is done. Now I look south to the Protectorate of Garalas and the Dragon Knight's Domain.

Completed_Meluvet.png

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Made a Cathedral/Church area in the middle of Everspring Forest.

On another note, got Ancient Dungeons: Winter recently, can't wait to try the stuff out. I finally own all of the currently released Ancient Dungeons stuff.

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arcmagik Nice world map, there are some small things with it that you can cover up like the missing tree trunks in the forest openings and it looks like the larger mountains were just stacked on the smaller mountains.

@TimmyTheNerd The map looks really realistic so some small improvements would be to make the characters less anime-ish (by reducing the glow on them a bit) though that depends on your game itself as you may want them to stand out.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Solwern Good idea. I just used the forest openings to break up the tileset a bit and didn't evem think about that. Thanks for pointing it out! I'll look at this weekend... And yeah the big mountains were just stacked. Unfortunately I'd have to redo the entire mountain range to change that. I tried to line them up with the edges of other the small mountains so they came up from the same places the smaller mountains did. I might be able to clean the front edges up a bit though now that I think about it by layering the little mountains over the front edge. It should look better, don't know how much that would be though until I try. Thanks for the advice!

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TimmyTheNerd I find this style of trees amazing when well used. Your map is great. Perhaps, only the tower is very "straight".
@Arcmagik Excellent too. I saw that you tried hard not to leave the edges too square, but some points are still strange, like the island in the lower left corner. It's still very good though.
@Solwern Well, those tiles that you used on the walls do not match much with environments with water. See how they overlap the same in the curves. It gives the appearance that the wall is floating. However I appreciated how you limited the ceiling of the walls by a tile, leaving the rest of the screen black. Some people leave the whole area on the same tile, which makes the map a little strange.
@thepsyche This is a very common problem. I suggest you put walls inside the wall. I mean, create gaps in the roof in question the same way you do it near the ground. This usually works, but you may have to swap for a chart without this black background.
If I forgot to give someone some feedback, let me know. The internet is too slow to sift through the pages until my last comment - and excuse me for that.

Well, I'm training a little night illumination. Please ignore the poor soil and the mix of these common trees (remind me of orange trees) with pine trees. The grass is also just a test.

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya thanks, I fixed that along with some other things as it was kinda odd to have all the Magi Space maps appear as though floating.

As for the map, it needs to be darker for night illumination and your character sprite needs a diffuse emission effect if you're going for extreme detail. Why not go for parallax trees since it seems as though you're going for parallax mapping?

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Faherya thanks, I fixed that along with some other things as it was kinda odd to have all the Magi Space maps appear as though floating.

As for the map, it needs to be darker for night illumination and your character sprite needs a diffuse emission effect if you're going for extreme detail. Why not go for parallax trees since it seems as though you're going for parallax mapping?
Oh, I understand. And thank you, I will darken the effect more. About the character and the trees, this is not a map I'm going to use. Just a lighting workout. I prefer to use RTP sprites because they are more difficult to shade / brighten. So if I can get a good result from them, I can do it with anybody else.

Cranky Construct

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thought I'd share a few more pictures of the town I'm working on. o/

Please ignore that the character in the screenshots is kinda blurry. I still need to go and redraw his sprites after I scaled his original sprite down. He's supposed to be a small bunny and stuff.

KeroTani

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm making a slum and I was wondering if anyone has any input. More maps to come.

Attachments

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KeroTani slums tend be overpacked and people live close together and your map is very large with ample space between houses/tents and large areas of nothing. Go smaller and pack more in.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KeroTani This looks like lower middle class. Look at documentaries like Tent City, small confined spaces with crowded people. I would shrink your map by about 2/3's and really cram in things like tents, broken buildings, broken items and really give me the impression this is a slum.

KeroTani

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I wanted the area to be big to reflect the size of the city, Kind of a Ba Sing Sa look. Still making it smaller is a good idea. I need to add doors to the ma as half of those doors can't be opened.

Attachments

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys, for the last weeks ive been working on a way to use 3d in rpg maker, mostly pre-rendered backgrounds and 3d models converted to sprites. So i started with a pseudo isometric map, a bit empty for now, im not sure what to add. My inspiration was the sewers of chrono trigger.
Any feedback is welcome.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amarok - I like the ambiance, but there is a perspective issue. The platform on the left is high (as the leading walkways on its left and right indicate) but if you keep going north, the walkway is horizontal. It leads to another platform that is just below the "ground" of the sewers, when it should be much higher.
Also, this north platform and the one on its right are connected by an horizontal walkway, but the platforms are not on the same height when you look at the wall.
One last thing, is there a reason for these platform to exist to begin with? They serve no logical purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In tomorrow's video, parallax mapping. I will touch on the palgins of the wonderful @HUDELL
Bleaching my whole head so I can dye it green. Hopefully I don't fry it all off. Pray for me.
Completed my game's menu! :LZScheeze: (Game Title: ⟁False Server)
Also showcasing Galv_ChoicePictures.js by Galv
and,
AKUNOU_Option plugins by Tsutumi Kawahara.
(More details in the video description on YouTube.)

1 million messages is approaching. The end is near! M1M is like Y2K, but forum based. It's a bug that's gonna delete all attachments when we hit 1 mil messages. At least with Y2K we had warning....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsammmm