Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because Chrono Trigger had them! That is what served as the inspiration it seems.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cabfe thanks for the crit! im still learning how to set the perspective correctly in blender, as for the platforms, yeah they dont have any purpose, i just put all the graphics together to see how they looked when rendered. For starters i will remove the platforms and work on the camera.

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cranky Construct I like the junk shop interior, the exterior path looks too plain as in it needs a bit of path detail like rubble or even slightly different color and it cuts off too sharply when you look at the path on the top-left.

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great atmosphere in your maps, @AK47 !

I couldn't resist the new FSM pack and bought it yesterday. Redid a part of my previously mapped forest and think it looks better with these new tiles. What do you guys think?

Map060.png

Map002.png

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can't sleep so been messing around with remaking my forest map. Wasn't fond of my trees at first but they're growing on me.
forestwip.png

ImmaPandaRawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well nobodies commented on some of the maps above so I'll take a dive before I post mine :)

@Eraine I think both versions look good, but I love the darker mountains in the second one! I think the path from the first version matches the overall look of your map more, but that's just my personal taste!

@Koulucky That's a great start!I love the water going through the village and the dynamic mountains.

@RocketKnight Creepy :o I'm not sure if that's the vibe intended but I feel like something sinister is about to go down lol!

@l8rose I love those trees. The twisted trunks are beautiful! I like the faded flower patches too, I'd love to accomplish something like that in my maps!

So here's my very first parallax map using GIMP for the very first time in my life and my first map using MV (I just got it!). I'm a complete newbie!

I have to credit TeamUnpro and Lorelei for their tutorials! I followed along and got the base of the map from both their videos, however I added my own touches here and there so the map is still unique, compared to theirs it doesn't look alike at all. Also I tried to mess with shadows and light (the light is around the house windows) some in this but I don't think I did a very good job. I see where the shadows are wonky in some places but I'm so tired right now I couldn't bring myself to fix it at the moment. Map making is a tedious process!! Pretty sure my cabin is horrendous too.

Maybe someone can give me feedback? I want to get better at creating parallax maps before I try to develop a game. I want a good foundation so any feedback is welcome :)

posted image

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ImmaPandaRawr Unfortunately your image is not showing, at least for me. Your safest bet is either to get the direct link from e.g. Photobucket or similar, or use the Upload a file button on your post.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@l8rose I love those trees. The twisted trunks are beautiful! I like the faded flower patches too, I'd love to accomplish something like that in my maps!

So here's my very first parallax map using GIMP for the very first time in my life and my first map using MV (I just got it!). I'm a complete newbie!

I have to credit TeamUnpro and Lorelei for their tutorials! I followed along and got the base of the map from both their videos, however I added my own touches here and there so the map is still unique, compared to theirs it doesn't look alike at all. Also I tried to mess with shadows and light (the light is around the house windows) some in this but I don't think I did a very good job. I see where the shadows are wonky in some places but I'm so tired right now I couldn't bring myself to fix it at the moment. Map making is a tedious process!! Pretty sure my cabin is horrendous too.

Maybe someone can give me feedback? I want to get better at creating parallax maps before I try to develop a game. I want a good foundation so any feedback is welcome :)
I can't see yours either. =(
Thank you. =] I'm just getting back into the swing of doing pixel art even if I cheated a little with those. lol
For the faded flower patches, it's a pattern brush created from edited MV resources. The brush can work in GIMP if you would like it?

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@ImmaPandaRawr I had to open your image in new tab to see it. I think the house looks like floating in the air and I'm curious what the small part in the left side of the house is.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ImmaPandaRawr With what @callmedan said, I looked at your map. I agree that the house looks like it's floating which I think is because of the smaller left portion. That part looks like it's coming more from behind the house then as part of the house. Another thing I can notice is that you have the trees further away on top of the ones closer. Whatever is closer to the viewer should always be above everything else when it comes to perspective.

Otherwise, that's pretty good for your first parallax.

acirnep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian,English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Eraine: the more subdued colours give a calmer, slightly more realistic feeling. It the tree trunk meant to block the path? It's a lovely detail

@Koulucky: it looks inviting, but why are the river and street interrupted? That's a very tall building in the back! What is it meant to be? Oh, and the shadow for the tall building is broken

@Arcmagik: that looks great, but it feels like a lot of mountain! I know it's a map, and as such it is more symbolic than realistic, but the mountain pattern is very "heavy" to me; I don't know how else to define it, the eye is drawn to that so it overwhelms everything else.

@RocketKnight: very atmospheric!

Here's three versions of my first map ever, it's meant to be an hotel room, in a contemporary city setting. I cannot make up my mind about the walls.
first version, larger room with chunky walls
Screenshot 2017-06-25 14.38.35.png

smaller room, thin walls, with corridor wall as well
Screenshot 2017-06-25 14.24.17.png

smaller
Screenshot 2017-06-25 14.36.08.png

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@acirnep your dresser in the corner is too close to the wall, it's causing perspective issues, if it's meant to be in the wall, then you shouldn't see the top of it next to the top of the wall. Or just move it down 1 tile. As far as wall design, I'd say the 3rd image looks best, just replace one of the black tiles with wood, and the other with the same wall-top next to it. Hotel room doors aren't double doors.

@ImmaPandaRawr Your shore looks like it is a flat surface floating on water. Try making the rock cliffs appear to be going down into the water to give the land some depth. I think one of Lorelai's tutorials even covers it.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@acirnep The third one is definitely the best. I think Haydeos has the right of it. As to the mountains... I know though most of the mountains you won't even be able to see in the game so the mapshot shows to much. The Midlands are a mountainous region... North is the Manawastes. Southeast is the Dragon Knight's Domain because there are a ton of mountains and dragons. The RM2k3 map made in 2009 by the original creator, I believe, for comparison.

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ImmaPandaRawr Thanks for your comments! I agree that the path in the old version looked better, I already fixed it a bit...
And good job on the parralax map, I once tried a bit but it is so much work if you're new to it.

Map002.png

@acirnep Thank you too! That tree is indeed blocking the road intentionally. You need to befriend the local jumberjack to reach deeper into these woods.
I agree that the last version of the hotelroom is the best. If I where you, I'd look into using GIMP or something like that to shift the dresser and bathtub half a tile down, that will make it look even better.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thought I'd share a few more pictures of the town I'm working on. o/

Please ignore that the character in the screenshots is kinda blurry. I still need to go and redraw his sprites after I scaled his original sprite down. He's supposed to be a small bunny and stuff.

Yes! That's exactly what I was saying! :D Though I personally would try to dial the detail down a little more on the character sprite, I think it looks really good! :)

ImmaPandaRawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I tried another parallax map hoping to improve on the mistakes I made in my previous one. Ran into some issues with keeping the water animated. I had a better looking water, different from the default, but I couldn't get it to work correctly :( So I made due with the default version. Hope this map looks better!! Again all feedback welcome :) Need to keep improving my skills!

I need to find some tutorials on lighting and shading. That would add a whole new level to these!

posted image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to get enough of an outline for my game to know what art needs to be made. I'm very out of practice with writing, having focused on art, and I'm realizing that I really missed it.
Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ: Episode 4 is now LIVE! Join us as we create our random encounter system. Random doesn't mean the player can't have some control! Want to figure out how, then tune in!
I must now resume my “things that make me money” activities, and relegate game-mak to a day or two a week. Maybe a lil in the afternoon, but I usually work on “career” level stuff then too.
Sotheby's had send me a mail this moment, stating an auction base for a book of mine at 150.000 euro. I found that book in a trashbin. It look like those chests that simply hide the final sword in an RPG.
I need to find some mapping tutorials cause I'm soooo terrible at it. like just awful lol. I've been having a huge asset issue with anything that isn't battle related unfortunately thanks to custom non-rtp characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Popcorn_Kitty_Gamer