Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Haven't added detail to the map itself yet but this is another puzzle I'm working on.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@callmedan Pretty beautiful map! But just asking though, is it necessary to have 2 fountains? :D

@Caitlin I could do that, but it would destroy the purpose of having red as the general color of the game. :p
Awesome map, by the way. I like that fog effect, it really helps with the atmosphere.

@Henryetha I could give it a try. I have yet to test the wall and blood with different light effects. Hopefully it will look somewhat better.

@Sharm Back the tile with a different tint color? I'm not exactly sure how to do that, really. XD

I'm having a little trouble with the lighting effect at the moment. I'm using a very simple light effect plug in. It works well, but if I add a dark tint to a room, then any light source would be darken as well. Here's an example:
With no tint:

With tint:

I don't think there will any source of light (except a small light circle surrounding the player) when the player enters the mansion. But just in case, should I still keep the dark tint?

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mr. Detective I much prefer the version without the tint, I think it's plenty dark enough. :p

I'm trying to get into pixel art, so I made this lovely little map to show off my "skills."
Lovely map.png
EDIT: Updated the map a bit.

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Mr. Detective I mean that your tiles are all red so if you put something red on top then it can't really do anything else but blend right in. There's really no way to make red on red be obvious, you have to change the colors of one of them. The background is the obvious choice. If the tiles making up the room are other colors the red of the blood would stand out more, especially if the background looks greenish. I don't necessarily mean tinting it yourself, I mean choosing something that is slightly green to begin with. Green would just make it stand out the most, but other colors like blues or grays would also work.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nutty171 You know, you might be right. But I wonder if that's gonna make the game kinda amateurish. Most horror games I've seen so far have some sort of tint to add to the atmosphere. :p

With the tint on, the blood looks more like... black ink or something. Perhaps I should try other tint levels, but they might not be much better.
Tch... If I can only open Fireworks now, I'll be able to change the saturation of the blood and it that could help. :oops:

@Sharm So, basically, just choose another wall/floor tile? :o

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Either that or alter the color of what you're using, yeah.

rpgdreamer

His Royal Highness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello!

I'm just starting with parallax mapping, and I wanted to get some feedback on some of the maps my friend and I have made for a game we're working on. Our goal is to make them as... nice as possible. We've tried a few techniques for map making so we're trying to figure out what works, what should be added, etc. Critiques and tips are very, very, very welcomed. If you don't like something or think these need something, please give us a reason why/how to fix it!

And now for the maps!

(These are in order of creation)

Map 1

Map 2

Also of note, these are not in any sort of 32x32 sizing for Ace, these are literally JUST test mapping so they come in all sizes, shapes, you get it! This is for a... psycho-thriller type game, not exactly a horror but, we wanna lean towards the creepy side!

Any and all help is appreciated!

ImmaPandaRawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rpgdreamer
Your maps are nicely done! The second map definitely gives me the creepy vibe you're going toward. The ground layer is nice, not too much clutter and not one note which is nice. It has a realistic look to it.

However the tree from your first map in comparison to that character sprite is throwing me off. I'm sure the idea was to go for a giant tree of some sort but I think if that's the size sprite you intend on using that tree should be scaled down a little bit. Right now it just doesn't look right. That was my first reaction to it at least. It could just be my own personal preference :D

Also just wanted to mention, there is a thread specified for game screen shots. You might get more replies posting these screenshots in there :) Maybe lol
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/game-map-screenshots-9.74415/page-46

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We have a thread specifically for giving and receiving feedback on maps.

Merging this with Game & Map Screenshots

ImmaPandaRawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my third attempt at parallax mapping. I know I need some work still but my hope is that I'm improving.

I'm stuck between two styles, specifically in the layering of trees. I think I prefer the second map below but I'm not sure which one in general looks better. Obviously they both need improvement but I'm gradually trying to get into the swing of things.

Also on my first map I was messing around with a "moonlight" effect. I think it needs to be toned down but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

morlockhater

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I made the main title with events :rhappy: probably the version i already made will never see the daylight.​
I loike the title, but I think things need to be rearranged, the title seems to just be sitting in empty space, while the 'new game, continue etc' buttons are much too big and spread out. If they were smaller, maybe together in one corner or centered on top of each other, it'd draw less focus from your title, which isn't taking up enough room. All the elements are great, but you need to refocus them to get the best impact visually.

AllyJamy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Two more Twin Peaks maps!

Would love some feedback!
Love the atmosphere and lighting. Gives off a real good Americana feel.

rpgdreamer

His Royal Highness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's my third attempt at parallax mapping. I know I need some work still but my hope is that I'm improving.
Those are incredibly good! I really enjoy the first map, but I suppose it just depends on what kind of look/mood you're trying to go for. The second one reminds me more of a traditional RPG world. What kind of textures did you use for the grass and dirt on the first one...? They look really good!

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

New map for Spectrum Seeker! Well, actually just a remade version of an old map of mine. As of 1 week ago, I've added a new member to the SS team. Some of you may know him as David Browne, he makes a ton of amazing tutorials on youtube. The above remake was done by him.
Old version looks like garbage in comparison, so I won't link it...haha. I'll have to step up my mapping game if I'm going to keep up.

@ImmaPandaRawr
For the 1st map, is the light at the top left supposed to be moonlight, or the middle? If you're just trying for a spotlight effect, I suggest just using a black layer, lower opacity, and take a large eraser and remove a chunk in the middle. There's no need for a white(topleft) and dark(bottom right) layer. Just one or the other.

For the grass, try not to use a soft round brush. Grass should never fade. If you're using gimp, try using the acrylic brushes. I use photoshop and I ripped those brushes out of gimp to use. Also here's a good video for blending the grass, includes the brushes I mentioned too.

@rpgdreamer
Where exactly are the entrance/exit areas? If I can enter a map in all 4 directions, then the map is fine. But if not, you should block off the paths that don't lead into anything but invisible walls. Also try adding cast shadows to your maps, it'll help a lot with the spooky vibe you're going for.

mightYXu

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@esby Absolutely love this. I'm a big fan of RTP and your map blends right in. You are using parallax mapping right? None of these tiles look like stock RTP, there's at least a slight edit to all of them... I really dig it.

The only minor distraction i see is the shadows. Not sure but think the rocky ramp ones doesn't match the light source of the rest.

Atomix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Tsukitsune

Pretty dayum good map. I'm taking notes.

@rpgdreamer

Contrary to the other critique, I think the giant tree fits nicely. Curious, did you just scale up a smaller tree, or is that custom made?

ImmaPandaRawr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tsukitsune Thanks for the tips! I never thought about putting trees and other foliage as stamps in GIMP which I use. I'm still learning the program so I didn't know about those type of brushes either!
That map is absolutely beautiful! I knew I recognized the style, I've practically watched all of David's videos :D He is amazing!

Here's another using different techniques for layering the grass from that video. First map I designed with my game in mind so it has an actual purpose and isn't just for practice. Still pretty mediocre but hopefully I'm heading in the right direction :) I feel ready to jump into starting my game finally, thanks for all the feedback guys!

upload your photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That sigh when a roaming chicken blocks your move event :/
Poryg is still alive, just did somrthing else to kill the time he cannot be productive. Minecraft - 10 tips & tricks on improving your base defence against pvp.
"Ugh, so tired of these rivers and lakes." *squints and looks off into the distance* "Oh cool! Is that a waterfall?"
Why is it so hard to accept existential stoicism? To insist stoics must be deterministic is like insisting God couldnt create evolving animals. Drop the dogmas and concider the compatible mechanics
I just had a duel at Duel Links, and started right away with a fusion monster... felt like an actual yugioh main character :3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neonlunity