Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@esby there are disconnected textures on the cliff in the upper left, but otherwise it's a really nice map! :)

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here:
Error2.png
It's easy to distinguish that one flat tile. (It would look better, but still not perfect, if you gradiented the shading there somehow.

And also here:
Error3.png
I noticed that the shadow just ends. Shouldn't the rest of the cliff cast shadow too?

Luth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@ImmaPandaRawr : (About the first screen you posted on Monday at 9:11 AM)
Doesn't look so bad considering you're experimenting. Try to make the areas under the trees more flourishing (add tons of bushes, shrooms, dirt etc.) ; also avoid lone trees !
The next step in my opinion is playing with terrains' height, to make it look less plane.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lycanimuss That lookd really nice.

I've been slowly working on this map over the last couple of days. Not complete yet but definitely coming together I believe.

IMG_20170706_110635.jpg

rpgdreamer

His Royal Highness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Contrary to the other critique, I think the giant tree fits nicely. Curious, did you just scale up a smaller tree, or is that custom made?
It's a smaller tree scaled up! I'm still working making it a little less blurry, but considering how small the tree was before I felt like I did a good job, haha. And yeah, I like the massive size of it as well. Thanks!

Luth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@Arcmagik this is the retro fantasy pack, i love it ! I even bought them actually.
The retro feeling in the sprite is awesome. I wish the character pack had animations for 4 directions tho.

Finish that map, my need for retro mapping urges :guffaw:

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
two versions of this forest - one with a path, one without. i feel like i may be crazy, but i like it better without the path - really feels like you're in a deep forest. thoughts?

Map071.png Map072.png

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@jonthefox
That's the thing with forests. When you can move in between the trees people do it and then there's gonna be at least traces of a path, like in the second shot.

Maybe you can shorten the paths and instead add more shorter tiles but even though it might look better, I think in reality, there's always paths (even though they might not be man-made).

Apart from that, I think there's too many linear trees. Try to add some small gaps in between them or something like that.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@jonthefox

I'd definitely break the blocks of trees up a bit as suggested above. Additionally you can probably break the path up some by doing a couple (two-three) dirt tiles than a grass tile of the path isn't human made.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
ok, i made the path in shorter parts (and used a darker tile), and broke up the trees...(is this what you guys meant about breaking up the trees? did i overdo it a little?)

Map075.png

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BCj Looks good.

@jonthefox It is a start. I don't know that I like that tile choice. It clashes a bit with the RTP however that is what I was talking about. It looks better than previously... The only thing I was add now is the large cluster of trees on the low left hand counter and the upper right hand corner where the tiles are most repetitive due to the volumn of them I'd break up further since the player can get there. Add a "clearing" with foliage and plants just for aesthetics. Of course I am not the best mapper around here so I'd wait for some other people to weigh in too.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Working on a new game.

Which style of portraits for the heroes you prefer?

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tuomo L - The second one.
Actually, I'd make it even smaller. It's not a dialogue, it 's a battle, you don't need to see who's talking/acting, just have some quick reference to not mistake one's turn with another party member.
Hiding the battle behind, even though it's turn based, disconnects the player with the action in my opinion.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L - The second one.
Actually, I'd make it even smaller. It's not a dialogue, it 's a battle, you don't need to see who's talking/acting, just have some quick reference to not mistake one's turn with another party member.
Hiding the battle behind, even though it's turn based, disconnects the player with the action in my opinion.
The portraits are only when the actor's turn comes up to indicate who's turn it is, it hides during actions. You don't need to see your character jiggling in idle pose for that duration. :p

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tuomo L - Of course it's only when you select the actions, but I still think that it distracts from the battle if it's too big.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I agree with Cabfe, both are too big. Not only would it break up the flow of the battle, it would also lessen the emotional impact of the characters when you use them elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm play DQ:XI DE in 2d mode with the synthesized soundtrack, the only way a RPGMAKER creator should play it. :D
:/ it really get on my nerves reading stuff about how to write a resume and they say things like "turn your failures into wins!!!" ... no interview Ive ever had cared to hear anything about my failures, and why would they :( ?
"Huh? You haven't backed up yet? *menacing stare* "
Been having a lot of fun playing Hearts of Iron IV. Had to restart a few times, but now I've finally conquerd Europe with my Axis friends, and am currently invading the Soviet Union.
Guess I'll rework all the existing screens in my game. Except of the save/battle screen. For this I will be lazy and use Yanfly. With my current pace it'll take a few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luspeon