Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Jonforum Although interesting, I personally find that screen too cluttered. It doesn't look like a battle screen, so why do I need to see all that information across the bottom? Or maybe it is a battle screen, because of the information along the top - in which case, where is the enemy? But the Board on the left looks like it might be an inventory and I wouldn't need Seeds in a battle. So I'm actually quite confused about what it is that I'm looking at.

The use of heavy black lining around the trees, for example, means that my eye is constantly drawn to the top left corner when looking at the map, and so it was a while before I even found your sprites.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Niten Ichi Ryu The maps look great! The one thing that stands out to me though is that the rivers are too smooth. The edges of the land masses have kinda jagged edges but the rivers don't match.

@MasterTaffer The foundation is pretty good, but the dithering really throws me, especially on the red throne. It looks kinda crystaline so using some solid highlights and larger shadows might give it some more contrast.

Archeia and Yami posted a new version of the Tiled plugin so I got to play around with maps today! But in doing so, I kinda realized that my maps might be too big. They take quite a while to navigate, and while they're proportionate to my sprites and seem fine in Tiled, in-context they feel huge to me. I'm thinking like a 30-40% in reduction, what do you guys think?

Quxios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ashikai I think the hallway is fine as long as you add in some characters to feel up some space. But the court does seem a bit large

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
EDIT
Removed original. Posted complete rubbish as I thought I was in another thread. That's what I get for using my phone to do modding first thing in the morning.

Last edited:

Amy Pond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
A little more progress, as I think I will be implementing an ABS into my game.

This is the battle Hud. You could close the chat window, and the skills bar will just slide down to the bottom of the screen. The enemy box will pop up when you click a target.

The tiny little icons are for status effects; the graphical icons are spells. Instead of MP there will be a recharge time for each skill.

The icons in the enemy box are a bit small to read; hover over anything and you get a description, but you can also click this box to "enlarge it" (essentially open the guide book about that enemy).

The gold bar is to unlock the master skills (the largest skills there), which is kind of like an overdrive. Might remove that for the enemy box, not sure.

I will also be making the transparency of windows changeable with a slider.

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Celianna nice catch! yea, the premade entrance had a slightly greener coloration so I had to improvise :p

nice screenshot, of course, you posting here isn't fair :p looks perfect

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Amy Pond The Hud looks really boss! Think you should use a different brush in photoshop to make the transition of ground textures less "symmetrical" It is a perfect circle right now, try one of the squiggly ones.

@Celianna More vector style? Different then your usual style, looks good very clean and crisp.

Luth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Entrée_Château.png

An entrance hall for a survival horror project, using XP stuff (edited or not) and a few things made by Celianna (carpets, candles and table/bench). Oh and it's MV grid (48*48) so increase the size of the sprites. Anyway it gives a retro look so I don't really dayum :)

Tried my best to make 2 floors, but I think RPG Maker perspective is pretty awkward for such things.
Also I'm not good at creating lightsources and shadows. :p

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Luth I like the map, but the lighting looks more like fog than light. Instead of making spots of white, fill the area with black and then use a soft brush to erase around your light. Then with a smaller soft brush, use a bright color to kind of blur the "heart" of the light source. Here's a good tutorial on it, and it's for RPG maker maps to boot. :kaojoy:
You're also gonna want to be careful about the stained glass casting a shadow/glare on the floor like that. The window is inside with no light source behind it, so in most cases it wouldn't leave a shadow thingy like that.

@Celianna That GUI's come a long way! I like this one a lot more than your previous heart-based ones (though those were cute too).

JapoZero

Building up speed for 12 hours™
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Luth It looks really nice! Although you should change the light to something more yellow/red and darken a bit the rest of the map. The floors look good, too.
I made this using FSM First Seed Material Tilesets. They're awesome! This was going to be the starter village for a (now cancelled) RPG. Now, I'm going to use it for another project...As the place is now abandoned, I'm going to make some changes like adding more grass, holes, etc to it. This is traditional/non-parallax mapping, i hope you guys like it >.<

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@JapoZero Basically a very nice map, with a good variety of house types which still look coherent enough to be in one location and well arranged across the terrain. The only thing I have a problem with is the house below the inn. The middle section of the roof looks definitely odd. If you are meaning to make it look higher than the rest so as to account for the section that juts forward, at the very least it needs to throw a shadow on the 'lower' roof. But I'm not sure that that will be enough to prevent it looking flat.

As it is 'abandoned' I'd suggest a few more changes than the ones you mentioned.

Those dirt paths would be overgrown in many places, not still clearly delineated. If it's abandoned, then who is hanging out washing (one house) or growing neat rows of vegetables (two houses)? I'd get rid of them. Perhaps put more windows with shutters on, and maybe edit the shutters so that on a couple of houses they are sagging half open. Break the crates at the back and smash some of the lights in the lamp posts. Take away the window boxes or edit them so that they are obviously overgrown/full of weeds/roots hanging down.

AdamSakuru

[Null_Value]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Celianna
Is your game a visual novel? It certainly looks like one. Smooth style and nice colours.

I linked this first video before, but just gonna link it again in case you haven't seen it.

I've been working on what the battle scene and the characters will look like for awhile now and wanted to share it.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Amy Pond : The screenshot is nice! The UI and layout somewhat reminds me of Runescape. I noticed some blurriness in some trees. Is that intentional?

@Celianna : Wow! Imma curious what kind of game is that? Looks neat!

@Dymdez : Nice parallax mapping there. The color palette reminds me of Suikoden somehow. Sprites are badly pixelated imo tho.

Okay, time to share latest screenshot from our latest One Loves the Sunset. Took a while but we finally able to finished this park map we have been working on. Please have a look! I'd love to hear your thoughts about this map.

mara_vertin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love ridiculous big libraries so I tried to make one. Not perfect but I kinda like how it turned out ...
What do you think? :)

Bibliothek.png

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@SomaelCK

What do you mean by badly pixelated, exactly? The guard looks bad or the main character in the entrance of the mine shaft?

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SomaelCK looks pucka !!! love the whole design of it all..makes me want an ice cream :D haha

pic from my own project, its not final and has no effect's like cloud, lighting and effect's to make it look like its moving fast, but wanted to know what you guys and gal's think of the ship, never done one before, I think it looks alrite ? LOL Totally different to what I'm used to drawing..thanks.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The three if us sat to watch "The day India Burned" to take notes. 10 minutes in, one went to sleep. I wanted to finish it but I couldn't stop tearing up (yawning makes me cry) so after 40 minutes I gave up. But now I'm not sleepy anymore :0
OH... OKAY... Well, VX Ace certainly never did THAT before. :mad:
Been busy with non-RM stuff, can't wait to get back into making a game.
i'm not only drawing girls tbh
i like grubby old man
Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tegima