Status
Not open for further replies.

Anceptious

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is the main map from my first project from MV. Any tips/suggestions/criticism very welcome on the layout or anything else.

It's a small fishing town. I've kept it in simple shapes and colours as I like that simple, pastel style. All graphics are my own.
Originally I based it on a real-life town plan, but for navigating it didn't quite work - mainly was too big/cluttered.
After a few redesigns, I decided on town square around which most of the important buildings are situated for easy navigation.
There are boats to be added to the docks and a few animated things as well.

It just feels like it's missing something, but I'm a bit confused as to what it might be.

ShowMap.jpg

mara_vertin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Anceptious You made this all of your own? Pretty cool. :)
You wrote you like the color scheme but I must say I would like to see some different colors. Maybe some grass? I mean it's a fishing town, there is lots of water and at the right there are many trees but I kinda miss the grass or some flowers.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Anceptious - Since I can see a concrete road I guess this is a modern setting.
You can use ad billboards, dirt&litter, benches, road signs, street lights etc. You get the idea.
It's a nice start. Keep working on it and you'll have a cool town to show!

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Anceptious Very cool! I think what it could use are some more pops of color. Both from plants/grasses and some objects as well. Right now there's a lot of tan and some relief from that could ease up the eye as it looks through the map.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Anceptious I really like this tileset~ It's so smooooth~~
You could probably benefit from some more plants/grasses like Ms Littlefish suggested, as well as some more rocks, pebbles or dirt variant tiles (you have a few, but I think you could use more). Here's a similar (in that it's kinda smooth and less textured) styled screen of a desert town to show what I mean.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Celianna - Personal preference maybe, but I'd make the choice options in their own box instead of "Option 1" and "Option 2" and having to read what is what under them.
Or is it a technical limitation you encountered?
Other than that, it looks pretty clean! The text box is cute but not distracting, the font is easily legible. Good work so far :thumbsup-left:

Anceptious

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@mara_vertin - Thanks very much - I think you're right, some more green and flowers will work better for the colour scheme.

@cabfe Yes, it's modern, so billboards, road signs and lights make a lot of sense. Thank you.

@Ms Littlefish Plants + grasses and some more different coloured objects is something I'll definitely need to add. Thanks.

@ashikai Thank you, the desert town example is great - I'll add some more rocks and dirt to vary it up.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Celianna - Personal preference maybe, but I'd make the choice options in their own box instead of "Option 1" and "Option 2" and having to read what is what under them.
Or is it a technical limitation you encountered?
Other than that, it looks pretty clean! The text box is cute but not distracting, the font is easily legible. Good work so far :thumbsup-left:
Yup, it's a limitation, and this is how I'm working around it. There is one plugin that allows you to add more words to a choice, but there's a limitation to that, too. I figured this is one way to get around to having long choices, and it doesn't distract that much.

J0pac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Celianna Not something I'd play tho the art style is very beautiful.The screen/audio effects are also nice.
Choice window is a bit off,but I probably wouldn't have notice it If Cabfe didn't mention it, due to all that dazzling art.
Moving it to the down right, next to the text might make it look better, If it's possible.

Here's first part of commission map that I'm working on.
I'd like some feedbacks on outer walls as they are the only thing that's pretty much finished.
Also, some ideas for the houses.
This is actually my first desert town map, and I've got no idea how to make houses.They'll look much better when I add details of course,but there's got to be more than just simple square houses...

Credits for tiles:
Beautiful MV RTP <3
Pandamaru's tiles(My favourite tile maker)
Avery tilesets

Last edited:

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of the Sprites are currently place holders... You can probably tell which ones. This is my newest map... The Throne Room.

Soulnet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Celianna Might be a personal thing but the bass comes through quite strong in the audio. Again a personal thing, but I find strong base makes things harder to read. Like loud music when trying to reverse park your car.

I love how smooth the transistions are in the video as well. Is that default rpg maker?

Amy Pond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
This is a live demonstration of testing a heavily modified "Alpha Abs" for my project, along with some features I've made: scroll to zoom, fit to browser size, and scale game to browser size.

Some positioning needs to be fixed, such as centering on zoom and such.

Video:

--- I can't get the forum to stop embedding it as an image, which it is not. dayum it. You'll have to paste this in your browser:

imgur.com/JES1BHI.mp4

You can see how this fill fit into my overall Gui here:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/game-map-screenshots-9.74415/page-6#post-705922

Freitzberg

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All I can say is... what the heck.
I have no experience in making tilesets and little experience with sprites and I had no idea that making tilesets are hard.
I had to figure out how the automatic tile thingy works as well and it probably consumed like almost half of the duration. lol

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,
I'm developing a horror game and I have to design a forest for my game. Actually, I designed two styles of the forest, but I must choose one of them only.
Definitely the second one.The atmosphere is way better than in the first image.
The trees are a lot scarier and everything feels much darker and there's a sense of immediate danger.
I like the branches you use as overlay very much and they really add to the scene.
I'd still add some patches of grass to the map, though. As the forest itself looks quite dead, you could use some brown-ish or gray-ish grass.
Green porbably wouldn't fit there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
@Gonor Thank you very much. I will add some brown grasses to the map. It sounds a good idea. :)

@Tsukitsune Your map is absolutely a gorgeous PIECE!!! I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

i watched the sonic movie it was pretty good i hope they make a sequel
tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)
Today I went to sleep without setting an alarm, so I could sleep more than 2 hours. I woke up after 2 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrisLebleu2020