Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I realised that it's been a very long time since I've posted any of my own maps here. So here is one I'm working on. It is one of 3 (maybe 4) maps of an abandoned town. I've had to make the ruins tiles, as there aren't any 'domestic' ruins out there which match what I'm using. Celianna's excellent pack only has Temples. As always, it's made in the editor, and as it's Ace, no doodads or anything.

Because the mapshot can't capture lighting, I've included a couple of screen shots to give an idea of what it's like in game. For some reason my screen shots at the moment are blurred. If anyone knows why this might suddenly happen, I'd be thrilled to hear from you.
Mapshot 170 Index [0, 0].png

Ruins 1.png

Ruins 2.png

opiaa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys ^^
I'm in the middle of developing my game. I made most of the maps, but they're really bland for me. The whole game is taking place underground, in some kind of minimalistic, but modern HQ. I don't have much ideas, how I could improve my maps - there isn't much lights going on :/

I'd be great, if someone could give me some feedback and ideas, how I could improve them.
For now here is one of my maps:
59cCsgd.png

Thanks!
They're all parallaxes - I mean, I'm not sure if I can call them like this. They're all made in photoshop.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You've got a lot of "open space". You don't have room for tables in the middle of some of those research rooms? Likewise, I'm not sure what the point of the couches is. If people sit on them, how come? I could see moving one of the couches over next to the vending machine. Maybe another of the couches into one of the offices. You might also want to turn the "supply room" into an actual room instead of just an open area at the end of a wide hallway. Couple doors there, maybe.

Honestly, in my opinion, the most concerning thing about the map is just the big open areas. You've got all this space that is just serving no purpose. Imagine if in your house you put everything up against a single wall and left the rest of the room open. It'd look a little strange, right? Just fill in some of that space maybe. You might even be able to put a small table over there next to the vending machine too, with two chairs. I dunno, just spitballing. Make the place look like some people work there.

opiaa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're right, I;ll change it. Thanks, you gave me a few good advice. But still - I just want to make some lights, or anything which could improve those maps.But I just don't have any you know, source of light. The only things are those monitors or those leds on walls.

Cloned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Can you guys recommend a good tutorial on how to make a map feel alive? Im so confused between overpopulating and under populating my maps.

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone! wanted some feedback of a map im in the middle of making! its Mideel from FF7, the few that dont know mideel or played ff7 it was run down little hot springs town, it got ruined in ff7 by an earth quake, in my game set 17years later, they have rebuilt. need feedback now before it i go forward anymore.. :) thanksCapture ROS.PNG

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@SoSick. It looks pretty cool. But this part look like floating in the air for me (I don't know what it's called in English XD)
sosickmap.PNG

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@callmedan thanks man! I did think that too! Do you think when I add shadows it will help ? And maybe add some vines / green bushes over growing on it could help?

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SoSick. some shadows would make a world of difference, also adding a bit of animation to the water with yanfly doodads would be great.

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
YThanks @Amarok im looking forward to adding shadows, wanted to do that last! What direction do you think I should have the shadows ? :) and yeah will be adding some animated doodads for sure ! Water, Palm tree's and bushes etc..would love to do my maps like your 3D ones.

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
xWnTR9Q.png

Noticed some tiling errors that I'll fix. Besides that I'm making a forest with a so far very generic name, "Dark Woods" that I really hope to change to something more fitting since it isn't as dark as it is... Well... Kinda grungy and mushroomy.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SoSick. with your perspective even vertical shadows as if it was the middle of the day would work fine, for more inclined shadows that project on the terrain its better to have them on a separate layer on multiply mode so the events gets shadowed too. That would create some problems if using a different perspective but it would work perfect with yours i think.

@Weremole that art style looks awesome!

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@SoSick. regarding your shadow problems, here's a gif!
ff7fangamefix_by_plueschkatze-dbml8ao.gif

A little AO (ambient occlusion) will already help items ground.
Nice map by the way :)

I also added a little shadow on the bottom of the building and the fences.

SoSick.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Plueschkatze thanks for helping with that! It looks so much better :) I'll add those shadows as soon as I finish the whole map ( this is just one part of it ) you popped up on my Twitter feed today! Recognised your name haha.. I must say you are very talented! Would love some tips if you could on helping draw face sets in ff7 style :)

King Gerar

White Wolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Weremole I saw some screens with tiles in this style on Deviantart and really enjoyed. Lovely tiles and beutiful map. Of course doesn't look as a dark forest, but is the perfect place for poisonous mushrooms and other envenomed enemies.

-

I'm working on UIs. This is the result of a morning: ths storage system screen.

LIAVD3m.png

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Weremole I saw some screens with tiles in this style on Deviantart and really enjoyed. Lovely tiles and beutiful map. Of course doesn't look as a dark forest, but is the perfect place for poisonous mushrooms and other envenomed enemies.

-

I'm working on UIs. This is the result of a morning: ths storage system screen.

LIAVD3m.png
UI looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.
That awkward moment when you're talking about thinking about writing a limited shop stock plugin for MZ and then find out you already wrote one...last May. My memory is so bad.
When I open my project and I'm like, hell yeah.
Some drawings I made in Lapis, one day I intend to involve them in some RPG Maker project.
* maybe two wall frames
*or some sprite flower tiara, or maybe it inspires someone to do something.
bdd19b62e539d17b3b00cc3d63034f7d.jpg

fcca5c8471b34483da8e032cfe579275.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reallynatalie