Game & Map Screenshots 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tsukitsune Nice map. I would like to suggest a bit of an edit, though, to the light graphic under your windows. The individual pane outline is far too sharp and distinct. I think it would look better if it were at least a little blurred. Also, if you want to give the impression that sunlight is falling from above, through the window, then the light graphic needs to be lengthened a little. It is never exactly the same shape and size as the original window.

2. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tsukitsune - If I may, I'll emit a few critics on this gorgeous piece.
    - You call it a "throne room" but it's totally impracticable if it were IRL.
    The ruler is too high up and there's no room between the top of the stairs and the throne, meaning that no one can talk to him (ambassadors, emissaries... anyone who'd seek an audience). Unless you mean this room as a demonstration of power and not an actual throne room for conducting business.
    - Why is there light coming from 3 sides at the same time?
    - Why are there alternate access to the throne area from the sides in the middle of the big room?
    - Unless it's built on a slope, the back of the room is way higher than the height at the bottom of the map.
    - There is a perspective issue with the sides. It goes up 1 tile (starting from the middle of the room), then 1-2 more in the corner and another 2 to the throne, so 4-5 tiles high. If you walk using the central stairs, it's only 2 tiles high...

3. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another tentative title, ignore the icons plz.
    I have to work on the menu graphics so i won't need to change my windowskin too much again.

If colors look weird it's cuz i had to compress the file

title - nefesh psych (1).png

Rabosion, huubz, flirion and 5 others like this.
  4. Abdulla Al-Farsi

Abdulla Al-Farsi Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    @kovak The title is very unique! I loved it!! The color are awesome. Well done :)

kovak likes this.
  5. Jef299

Jef299 Fifteen Mush-ups! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sometimes.. we fall in LOVE with our own creations!
    [​IMG]

Marquise*, kovak and Kyuukon like this.
  6. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi guys, long time without posting anything. I came back to my main project, a kind of gundam inspired rpg/visual novel :D

@kovak that title screen looks really good, great choice of colors and lettering.

Sin título.jpg

Rabosion, flirion, BerryB and 9 others like this.
  7. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Amarok menu looks nice :) and suits the style gundam inspired project. Man I loved watching that as a kid. What plugin is for that menu layout by the way ? Mogs?

Amarok likes this.
  8. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Jef299 this room seems too big to place so little stuff.
    Try to shrink it a bit and add a bit more stuff to decorate the place and give it more personality

9. Jef299

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's an old screen. I went back and added more stuff to the room so It doesn't feel as big. #1 complaint about that game is that, though. Rooms = way too big lol.

10. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  11. Badweather4cast

Badweather4cast Master Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey, I'd really, really appreciate some critique on this tentative, completely evented title screen I've been working on for a short project.

[​IMG]

The project is at this point called "The Man in the Fields" (フィールドの男) and is based on a ritual game of the same name. In the story, a kitten named Shay attempts to win an impossible challenge for the fate of their family, against a vile creature intent on murdering the young cat for their head. Shay plays this ritual game in hopes of victory, which would ensure their family's safety against debt, starvation, and their father's drunken insanity, but anyone who knows the rules to this game knows also how terrible failure would be.

I wanted the title to be fairly simplistic and dark, as this is the way the game is supposed to be. Black, white, and red together hopefully reflect the terrifying nature of the game. The title at the top has the (accurate?) Japanese translation crossing the vertical letters, resembling the cross used in the game to mark the failsafe room should the ritual go wrong. The character on the left is, you guessed it, Shay, holding the burned-out candle in both hands and crying tears of blood.

And yes, this title screen is in full working order, save the Start button (as there currently is no game to start.) I evented it completely, using a script to skip RPG Maker VX Ace's built-in main menu. Variables and conditional branches handle the selectables below.

So, any thoughts? I'm super open to criticism. ^^

(Oh, and yeah, Shay is non-binary, with "They" and "Them" pronouns.)

Attached Files:

Rabosion and Marquise* like this.
  12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Badweather4cast I like it. I think the only suggestion I would have would be to make the title words just a bit larger and move them to the left and down just a little bit. It gets a little lost way over there in the corner.

13. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Jef299 You may have done this in the latest version, but one question that came to me was - how do they see in there? There are no windows, no lamps/torches/whatever. Neither do they appear to have any form of heating. Another thing is the bed - I don't know anyone who puts the foot of the bed against the wall and has the head of the bed pointing off into empty space (maybe some people do, but I don't know them). There are loads of sideways facing beds in the Resources forums, as well as some that have been flipped and edited to go under the bottom wall. If you want it over there, move it further up.

Our graphics tell part of our story. I would assume, as a player looking at that room, that the character has a very serious drink problem, as booze is there in abundance, but not much else. I would also assume that the character is totally non-practical. It looks like what's on top of the stove for cooking (that fish) is in a wooden container. Hmmmm. If those traits are not true of the character, then maybe you should rethink what items you are putting there.

14. Jef299

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

This is just a (bad) example of how I tried to add more to my oversized rooms. I added just a bookshelf and supply bags but I think it only helped a little.

15. mara_vertin

mara_vertin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Jef299 Uhm... Is there a reason why the room has to be so big? I would suggest to make it way smaller. Or add some walls to split it in different rooms (maybe a bed room, kitchen/living room and storage room). Some lights would be nice, too :)

Oh, and I know it doesn't belong here but the pup in your profile picture is so cute.
    ... and what's up with the worm loving worm girl? o_O

16. Freitzberg

Freitzberg Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Still practicing on how to make tilesets.. I think I am getting the hang of it. But as my character says, "This will take longer than expected".
    The world I am trying to build isn't that big, it's the variation that is troubling me. LOL

Marquise* and Amarok like this.
  17. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Jef299 A good rule of thumb is that if you can't fill up a room with enough stuff to make it not seem empty, the room is just flat out too big. Instead of trying to fill it, make the actual room smaller. Think about what you want the room to be, what furniture and stuff you want in there and then how big the room needs to be to contain it all.

Another way to look at this room you have - you have a bed in there. At that size you could literally put more than 50 of those beds in that room. Now, imagine walking into a room in real life big enough for 50+ twin size beds. That's a pretty big room. So unless the character is living in an abandoned warehouse or something, it doesn't make sense for the space to be so big.

Sometimes, if I'm not sure, I will start by putting the stuff down first, situating it in a reasonable manner, and then go back and put up the walls.

18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Jef299 like the others, I strongly recommend that you bite the bullet and redo that map so that - at the very, very most - it is half its present size.

I get whole houses into less space than that room. Here is an example of a simple house I did recently. Not much money, so there's not a lot of fancy stuff. Just for clarity's sake I should mention that you can go under doorways on my maps, so all those rooms are accessible. (Hmm, for some reason the screenshot is blurry. Oh well.)

house example.png

and another one.

house 2.png

There is no need to have rooms as big as the one you've posted. As you can see, each house is less than the size of the screen, in my case 640 x 480 in Ace.

19. Luke•°

Luke•° ★✮✭✩✭✮★ Member

Staircase - parallax mapping.

[​IMG]

Dymdez, Guiguimu, Sal-O-Mac and 20 others like this.
  20. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Wow, that looks amazing, for such a simple layout really. Shows how moss and damage can really bring a scene to life.

Luke•° likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.