Game & Map Screenshots 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veethree

Veethree Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

From Hailey Comet and the Tower of Eul. Making the most of the old VX and VX Ace battlers for my purposes. I'll probably get a plugin to reposition battlers so that the monster's talons don't get cut-off.

What scaling filter would you guys recommend? I like my bosses large and screen-filling :p

jonthefox and Marquise* like this.
  2. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Luke•° *stares jealousy at you* Very Nice!

Luke•° likes this.
  3. Jef299

Jef299 Fifteen Mush-ups! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @mlogan @Kes Guys tell me the actual size of the rooms I should do and I'll go redo all my indoor areas! Like what Width and Height? 17 by.. ??

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Jef299 There is no standard answer which should 'always' be used. Gauging what's needed in any particular situation comes with practice.

However, as a very rough guide, a small bedroom might have 5 or so floor tiles width and 5 floor tiles in length. If you look at the first house I posted, both of those bedrooms were 4 tiles wide. Including all the vertical walls means that the whole house is 11 tiles wide. In the second house, the big bedroom is 5 floor tiles wide, and the little bedroom is only 3.

If your 'house' only consists of one room, then I assume you are dealing with someone who is not affluent. So in the case of the room you posted above, I would start by having an internal space of about 8 x 8 and see how that works out. You need to plan where to put everything, and a huge help is to have sideways facing cupboards so that you can use the side walls. There are lots of free tiles with sideways furniture in the resources section. If you look at the bottom right corner of the second house, you will see that there is a 'cupboard' against the bottom wall. That is just the top of an ordinary cupboard placed at the bottom of a tile. Mark it with star passability so that the player can walk past it in a realistic manner. It also means that you won't lose a floor tile for circulation.

Don't forget things like a fireplace which not only takes up part of the wall, but gives you a focal point for a chair or two, a small rug, that sort of thing. Look again at the two examples and you will see that candles, windows and pictures also take up a bit of wall space. All of these things help to make a place look lived in, and fill it up without taking up floor space that you need for a table, bed, stove, store cupboard, maybe a wardrobe. People rarely keep barrels, sacks, crates inside their houses, and I would advise against using them just to fill up blank space. But a storage jar or two (see the second example) or a potted plant would fit well in many circumstances.

5. Jef299

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kes [​IMG] There are no windows but this is 9 x 9 and she is supposed to live in a "cave like" home.

Marquise* likes this.
  6. MasterTaffer

MasterTaffer Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @Jef299 You'll want to up the wall height to two tiles tall, otherwise the bookcase looks way too tall for the room. I'd also suggest either filling out the room with more furniture/rugs, or reducing the size to 5x4.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on a non-proffesional stock asset game to get more familiar with RPG Maker before doing anything too complex. This here is a castle town that serves as a center point to a much larger 120x120 map.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: (I'm aware of the mapping error on the roof of one of the houses.)

Kyuukon and mlogan like this.
  7. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Jef299 As well as the point about the height of the walls, you say that there is no window. You therefore will need some light source in there, candles, lamp, whatever.

Knock out one tile width and length. You still need to think about what should be in there. Does this person have no clean clothes? No clean sheets for the bed? Nothing at all that needs storing in a cupboard? Does she never have guests so that she needs a second stool? No need for warmth, so that she needs no fire? Only when you are sure you have everything in there that is needed can you see whether you need to make the room still smaller.

8. Plainview

Plainview Man Behind the Mask Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks so dope! Is this RPG Maker VX Ace of MV?

9. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm loving that screenshot! When might we be able to see demos for the project? :)

10. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Plainview thanks! its MV
    @Maus Merryjest thank you! well if everything goes well i think maybe by the end of the month :D
    Now im working on the dialogue system to make it more like a visual novel.
    I also added a slight "breath" effect to the character busts, thanks to Mog hunter picture effects plugin.
    I also wish there was a way to automatically center the text. xD

EDIT: im aware that my english is kind of broken, i will look for someone to proofread my english text in the future haha
    [​IMG]

11. Jef299

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG] My main male version reminds me of harry mason.
    [​IMG] The worms she sells..

Marquise* likes this.
  12. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Jef299 You have still left your walls one tile high with a two tile high cupboard. If you look at it you will see that it is crashing 'through' the ceiling. Either make the walls 2 tiles high, or find a different cupboard. In fact, is that cupboard 2.5 tiles high with all the stuff on top of it?

13. Jef299

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If I make it so the cupboard has nothing on top would it still violate the two tile rule?

14. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Jef299 The problem with the set up as is, is that those graphics were created for two high walls and in order to make it so it was believable for one, you'd have to edit them to be half as tall. If you take a good look at "Dragon Quest" remake for the SNES (you can google it), you'd see that it has the same height of wall, but the furniture isn't as tall.

15. Badweather4cast

Badweather4cast Master Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @mlogan Thanks for the critique! I thought there was some issues with the orientation. Do you think this adjusted one looks better?

[​IMG]

I made the title bigger and Shay a little bit smaller. I also moved them further down, just above the Start button.

P.S. Sorry if the selector below looks a little bit dim in this shot, it blinks and I didn't catch it at peak opacity. XD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  16. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would still move the title to the left and down just a wee bit, to give some black space on the top and the right. Not much, just a bit. But I like the size better.

17. Badweather4cast

Badweather4cast Master Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

@mlogan Is that enough, or too much, would you say? I feel like it's much better since the first draft.

Attached Files:

18. Freitzberg

Freitzberg Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Badweather4cast That's nice. Although it looks kind of empty in the middle? That might be because the menu commands are also way too far down. I like the font as well.

Added new foliage and thingies on the sprites I am making. It's not snow by the way, white is the color of "mana" in the world I am making. So basically the area has a very high mana pollution.
    [​IMG]

OH AND. Which character style do you think suits better?
    [​IMG]
    Semi Chibi or no Chibi?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    CallMeKerrigan and Marquise* like this.
  19. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Freitzberg I like the style of your maps, I think the semi chibi , I think it just looks nicer and clear.

Been working on my ff7 fan game menu again, trying to get it finished so I can upload a demo soon, I know some fan games annoy people but this is just some fun to learn more about rpg maker mv for my own commercial project, what do you lot think? would you change anything? need to change the gauges but not sure what colors ..

Attached Files:

Marquise* likes this.
  20. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Badweather4cast Yes! Looks much better without the title smushed up against the edge of the screen.

@Freitzberg The maps are looking nice. I prefer the taller sprite style, I think overall it goes better with the tiles. However, I think there could be more definition in it - for example the arms blend into the shirt. With more contrast of the lining, it could easily take care of issues like that.

@SoSick. I think it's looking good. I don't think I care for the plant there though, it seems a bit odd. And assuming that there will eventually be a character over top of that slot, I think it could be a bit visually distracting.

SoSick. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.