Game & Map Screenshots 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esby

esby eejit Veteran

@RocketKnight looks like the inside of a clock tower, right? the numbers should be mirrored if that's the case

2. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry but this is just bad.

Everything clashes and the whole idea is kinda silly. If the characters are in absolute no danger at all, that takes away a lot of the investment. Also, the backgrounds are literally just rips of old FPS games. I don't even know what to comment, because I'm not sure what you did and what you just took from somewhere else. It doesn't look good and it all just kinda sticks out like you just put them on a new layer on photoshop instead of them actually being there. Also, the rips you did are horribly pixelated and the resolutions are just ruined. The graphics are also corrupted and twisted. Seriously, it doesn't look good at all.

Also, is that lady a half deer, half rabbit, half human hybrid with Fiskars scissors for a weapon? Wait, does the guy's litteral eyes have twirly mustaches?

[​IMG]

This is a random pub that I made. My problem with light sources is that if I make the pub realistically lighted it becomes too dark but if I illuminate it too much, it looks like the sun is literally behind every corner. What should I do?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  3. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I was just practicing putting things together in visual novel maker, but thanks for the critique.

4. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Keep at it, I like your style. :)

5. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @esby nope, the clock is inside the building, i just forget to put the pointers

6. ksart

ksart Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Tuomo L I think for a pub the lighting is good the way you have it.... Maybe add a candle stick or two and add a soft warm light? not too much since pubs in games tend to be darker but you do want some kid of internal light source. right now that pub would close at sundown because they don't have any of their own light, whereas most people would hit the pub after sundown since it would be the end of the work day.

7. Mieze

Mieze Maker Freak Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Map001.png
    Not quite finished, little things missing. (Light, animals, details, etc.)

8. Anime-Addiction

Anime-Addiction Mandatory Mini-Boss Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey all o/

So I started a thread in the General Discussions area, but apparently that was the wrong place, so let's try this again.

So this is a super basic barebones map that obviously isn't finished yet:

[​IMG]
    When I originally started I divided this map into a 5x5 grid with each section being a 49x49 area with plans to make each section its own map. Do you think this map would benefit from being one continuous map, excluding event-heavy areas (As lots of events on one map can cause lag) such as the village in the center? Or maybe group certain sections together such as the forests in the top left?

Would love feedback on the actual terrain of the map as well. Do you think it flows naturally? Any tips?

Mieze, batch and Guiguimu like this.
  9. batch

batch nailed-down sack of angry bees Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Anime-Addiction Overall, really nice and meticulous geography. One issue I see is that the edges of the map seem kind of unsolved, if you get me. Like there isn't a natural boundary being provided and it may feel like it ends abruptly. I see this particularly around the bottom-right corner area where the flat land is just open to the edges and the path trails off (unless that actually leads somewhere, the open space in the black pixel might mean that but I wasn't sure).

The other thing I might tweak is that the paths through the top areas might feel really claustrophobic and unnatural if they are uniformly one tile wide; this goes especially since they open into such large clearings so immediately.

Otherwise, fine piece of cliff mapping. Natural-looking topography is hard to do! Keepitup up up

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  10. Anime-Addiction

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @batch Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the edges look terrible right now because I haven't actually got to a majority of them yet haha. The 'path' in the bottom right is just a placeholder of where I'm gonna be closing off that cliff area. The whole forest in the upper section of the map is just a giant placeholder until I move the map into GIMP to add custom trees and parallax it. I definitely agree the 1x1 path through that huge area looks horrible and unnatural xD

11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Anime-Addiction If you are going to be using parallaxes, then you've answered your question about separate maps or one big map. It will have to be separate maps.

12. Anime-Addiction

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes Why's that? I've only parallaxed a few maps, so I'm by no means an expert. Am I out of the loop on some restriction?

13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you make that world map one large map, you are going to have to have a huge parallax to cover it. 2 things with that. The file size will be astronomic, and you could have a lot of lag with loading the map. I don't know, however, if MV allows you to have a parallax that only covers part of a map. Maybe it does.

14. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is some of my progress on my game Ceress and Orea!
    [​IMG]

@Mieze That's looking amazing! Love the map layout.
    @Anime-Addiction Wow! That's one huuuge map. I'm curious how it'll look once it's finished. But I like the general layout this far.

Marquise*, Rabosion, Mieze and 6 others like this.
  15. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just in time for the holidays.
    [​IMG]

@Plueschkatze - Beautiful! Love the lighting.

sabao, Marquise*, Rabosion and 4 others like this.
  16. jjbones123

jjbones123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! :)
    Sure has been awhile since I last posted anything on the forums. Haven't been working on my game as much as I use to; started attending a college course and hitting the gym. But when i'm free, I sometimes still work on the game and come a little closer to its completion.

I've upgraded from RPG Maker VX Ace to MV and as a result of the higher resolution/up-scaling (not sure what you'd call it), I had to redraw and improve my sprites and tile sets. For example: if anyone remembers that child's bedroom I made long ago, here are screenshots of what it use to look like and what it looks like now:
    its been 3 years.png
    SO CLOSE TO FINISHING THIS ROOM 2.png

I personally think how the game looks now is a HUGE improvement over how it used to look. But I was wondering if anyone could suggest any improvements or critiques? (P.S: I hope the spoiler tags work, I can't remember how to do them.)

Oh and happy holidays to all! :D

Now as I have come here seeking help, it's only fair that I help those who have come here seeking mine:

@Lorenze I really like it. It reminds me of a certain game/console, but I can't remember which. (It might be Princess Remedy in a world of hurt?)
    Text box looks great, character sprites look like classic SNES final fantasy sprites and I love the touch of the bubbles coming up from the water. I can't really see anything I have problems with except maybe the horses? Like they're really well done sprites but I dunno, I personally think these realistic horses don't fit with the SNES looking characters. Then again, you can tell what they are and they look good. So I say it's not really an issue.

@Plueschkatze It's certainly nice to look at; good lighting and visuals. I also like the Pokemon-esc ice puzzle and the hopping across the rocks.

17. BinaryResidue

BinaryResidue World within a world Member

First Language:
    Neplish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just a simple titlescreen for the game currently in development

18. Mieze

Mieze Maker Freak Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  19. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is my very first "castle town" like map so I think I still have a lot more to learn. As always, I'm trying to use as much of the RTP as possible. I think I could use more detail and NPCs, but there isn't much more detail RTP that I'm aware of that would fit nicely into this.

[​IMG]

Mieze likes this.
  20. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wanted to test my bus stop sign and double-decker buses I just made. Tis my first edit of MV's tiles btw.

(The "10:00" indicates the time, the bus shows up. If the sign is red, the bus doesn't run that day. The glow around the buses indicate if it's working/moving, about to stop, or stopped.)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.