Game & Map Screenshots 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonko

Tonko Club penguin pro player Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I brought two pictures of my current project; One of them is a GIF

The first one features Shaokimi and the godess face to face in the sky

In the second one, I show the interior of the bunny's home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Solwern, Chaos Avian, M.I.A. and 2 others like this.
  2. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Due to an unfortunate interaction between MV and TF a month back or so. I moved back to VX Ace but I have been strictly using the editor for mapping instead of Parallax Mapping.

VX_Overworld.png

3. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Finally have some free time to continue working on my game. :p This is intended to be a work/study room. How does it look?

Not sure about the carpet, really. I added that in just now. ;)

Oh dear. That map looks absolutely stunning! Nicely done. :D

Um... The look of the character is enough to turn me away from your game. Sorry, dude.

Chaos Avian, Rabosion, Sharm and 2 others like this.
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SOC My comments will, to some extent, depend on what function that castle performs. Is it meant to be defensible or not? The moat would suggest that, at least at one point, it was meant to be defended. However, your ground floor windows wouldn't keep any soldier out. Normally castles have much smaller, slit-like windows at ground level to hinder any incoming army, but still leave room for those inside to fire arrows out. The windows in the towers are more appropriate. Even at the next floor up, windows would tend towards the smaller size. The style chosen is more appropriate for a mansion than for a castle.

Castles are not built in that stepped fashion. That is because, structurally, each corner is more vulnerable than a solid line of stone.

@Luke•° Nice atmosphere with that map, and good lighting - except I find the lamp post up on the higher level a bit unbelievable in a medieval town. A torch or barazier, yes, but not a lamp post.

@Arcmagik Nice map. I like the overall balance in it, though if the player can see more than a couple of tiles into the mountains, I might be tempted to leaves some spaces inside them to suggest the odd valley or something - purely for visual interest, nothing more.

@Mr. Detective How does the room's occupant get to see what's on the notice board top left? It would be difficult to see what's on it due to the table etc. in front. Speaking purely personally, I'm not sure that your wall and ceiling tiles go with the style suggested by those windows. The windows suggest something moderately fancy, but the walls are bare brick, not even plastered. Because I could never, in RL, live with an orange carpet like that, I'd take it away. However, that's not to say that a carpet in another colour wouldn't work.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    SOC likes this.
  5. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can play as a male instead if you don't like playing as femaletrans.

[​IMG]

Chocolate soft cream fairy, new monster in the new update to my Early Access

6. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

@SOC Your first floor of your castle shows you took time and worked hard at it. You used some elements creatively - the railing above curtains is something I haven't seen but I like it.

The biggest thing which I think needs to change is that you seem to have two floors, but your ceiling height is all the same. When you go up those steps, and you see those parts of the wall where I put the yellow dots, well, they should be at different heights.

I think adding shadows will also help define your space See the green areas. map.JPG

EpicFILE and SOC like this.
  7. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, it's more of a decorative castle than a defensible one. It's funny because my girlfriend kind've mentioned the same thing, she said something like "In the past, having more windows was a sign of wealth! And keep them open, because servants would open the windows during the day!" I'm not even sure I'll allow the player to see that far up the castle anyway, and don't really have any intentions to use that balcony. It was just fun to make. I was thinking about the windows vs. murder holes too, but decided the decorative style fitted my needs better. I'll replace them with murder holes and see if I just like the look better.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm still not sure. I can't decide which one I like more. I decided on the second floor onwards that they should have the wooden archer protection above the holes.

Thanks for the wonderful advice! So you're suggesting something like this, then? Also my apologies, Orange Mapshot plugin doesn't capture the shadows no matter what settings I give it, but I do have those shadows along the walls.

[​IMG]

EpicFILE likes this.
  8. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

@SOC look at it this way, if the staircase is rising just one tile high - kind of a gentle, royal stair =] - then look at the back wall. Two tiles high.

Now follow the ceiling down the side.
    Next to the curtain and rail, that wall has to be three tiles high.

If you think about it a bit more, it might even have to be taller if the rail is half the height of the second story. But the idea is that it all has to make sense together.

But look at your front wall. Only two tile high.
    So you can make the front wall three tiles high and call it a day, or make a drop off edge somewhere along the ceiling.

EpicFILE likes this.
  9. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So ultimately what you're suggesting is that the stair height match the wall heights, right? I'm pretty adamant about keeping two tile high walls as a personal theme and challenge throughout this project, so I welcome the opportunity to learn more from it. If I just make the stairs two tiles high instead of three, do you think that would make the most sense with the two tile high walls?

Or actually, I think I understand what you're saying now. You're saying the outside walls (with the windows) on the second floor are only two tiles high, which wouldn't make sense if we're thinking of them as being on the outside still connected to the ground, with the first floor walls being the comparison. Honestly I never thought that much into it, I was kind've just going for a minor illusion that you only see the top two wall tiles on the outside, then the rest fade into black basically since your view on the outside can't reach it from inside. Additionally, if going really in depth, the castle walls on the outside are universally two tiles tall on each floor as well so it could still make sense for it to be two tiles tall from this perspective.

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say hahaha. I was never very good at spacial architectural thinking...

[​IMG]

Ahh actually I think I might understand what you're trying to say now. Do you mean something more like this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  10. Vassim74

Vassim74 It's a Secret! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SOC I think the handrails on the stairs should be one more tile up. It looks kind of odd as it is otherwise, since it appears to stop short of one set of stairs. I mean, look at the shadows on the left hand rails for example.

11. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Arcmagik
    Pretty nice map there!

@Mr. Detective
    The red carpet seems kinda off because it's brighter than the rest of the tileset :/
    I agree with @Kes. Maybe you can change the color.

@SOC
    I'll give you a short explanation. Hopefully it will clear up your confusion
    Let's see the first floor.
    If the upper part is 2 tiles high, the below part needs to be 2 tiles high too.
    No critic here, because it's done correctly.
    [​IMG]

Let's move on to the second floor, and apply the rules of first floor.
    If the upper part is 2 tiles high, the below part needs to be... Wait... That seems like 1 tile high
    [​IMG]

If you see it through different perspective, the wall would look like this
    [​IMG]
    The solution is, extend it a li'l further
    [​IMG]
    Which means you need to make it one tile higher
    [​IMG]

And here's the exact position
    [​IMG]
    Spacial confusion aside, that's a pretty decent map :D

Okay. I also made a map.
    I want to create a vampire's mansion. Here it is
    [​IMG]
    This is the bedroom. There's a living room and a kitchen in separate maps

I'm doing my best here.
    Choosing the most luxurious-seeming wall and floor to create a mansion.
    But when I look at this...
    This doesn't scream "mansion!" or "vampire!" at all.
    I wonder how to make it look like a vampire's mansion.
    How to improve the map?

Mr. Detective likes this.
  12. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @EpicFILE Would vampires even have beds? Would they not be sleeping in their coffins? So - make those coffins luxurious. Somewhere around I've seen open coffins, put a nice soft pillow in their for their heads. Find ways to make them inviting even to the most discerning vampire. Big no-no - you've got a mirror, vampires don't cast reflections in a mirror, so why would they have one? Do the colour of the walls and floors shout "centuries old decadence" at you? Vampires live a long time. I would imagine they'd get bored with bland by the end of the second century if not before.

EpicFILE likes this.
  13. Solwern

Solwern Dead person. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Boss battle, how does it look? :)

Makes use of yanfly action sequences for the moves and effects.

Music is custom made.

14. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I tried to make a new type of a trailer for Strangers of the Power

15. Luke•°

Luke•° ★✮✭✩✭✮★ Member

North Hall.

[​IMG]

Kvothe, flirion, Plueschkatze and 4 others like this.
  16. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Luke•° There's something a bit off with your lighting. It is most unlikely that you would be getting equally strong lighting coming in from both sides (whether that is east/west or north/south). It also appears to be coming in at 2 different angles. This seems to be the consequence of the lower light in each pair falling on what might (or might not) be a bit of slanted stonework. If that window outline in the lighting is any indication of the size of the light source, then you have far too much light coming in for such a small window, and the way it falls doesn't match up with window. When you have a window strongly indicated like that, then the area between the 'bottom' of the window and the wall it is part of would be dark.

IAmJakeSauvage likes this.
  17. Luke•°

Luke•° ★✮✭✩✭✮★ Member

@Kes I understand, i was thinking about that when i finished the map. that place it's an underground location. then these lights should be more artificial instead of representing the sun's rays. was error of representation of what was in my mind. these lights come from the iluminance in first floor of the castle, maybe I have to make them more "artificial", or simply remove them. Anyway, thanks for the mentioned points.

18. Lucy Fox

Lucy Fox Chosen Undead Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Luke•°
    If it's clear ingame that those lights are artificial I think it's okay to leave them that way.
    The screen has an awesome atmosphere! Really like it.

19. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestion, guys! I have fixed the map a little. :cool:

[​IMG]

Hm... It didn't give you the impression of an eerie, somewhat creepy atmosphere? :eek:

So your goal is to create a luxurious mansion, right? You need to find better tileset, that's for sure. A rich and modern vampire would probably sleep on a comfort bed, so perhaps a coffin is unnecessary. Not to mention you have one coffin and 5 beds? Those beds look like they belong in a scrap yard. The mirror doesn't seem to belong there, either. :rolleyes:

Is there any point to the left passage to the entrance? Seems like it serves no purpose besides just showing two generic pictures. You can move them to the right, directly facing the entrance.

I suggest that you completely revamp the map with a more attractive design and interesting tilesets. Unless the design serves a story related purpose, redo it completely is for the best. :stickytongue:

EpicFILE and Solwern like this.
  20. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Lytchfield Street.

[​IMG]

Plueschkatze and Kyuukon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.