Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Mr. Detective Creepy atmosphere? Nope, though perhaps an in-game shot showing tinting and lighting would help. Speaking of lighting - windows dark, so it's night. Lamp not lit. So where is the light source? The new carpet is much better, both in itself and contributing towards your atmosphere. But at the moment there is no element which says 'creepy' to me, everything is just 'normal'. I think this will have to be done by tinting/lighting, plus music, plus build-up in the player's mind. A room doesn't have to be 'abnormal' to be creepy.

Cryranos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'm going for an preclassical-style tower (main prototype being the Pharos at Alexandria, but with more intermediate layers), so it's more pyramidal than other towers in fantasy settings, but it feels kind of ugly.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Nicke Since I did the same mistake at some point, it's my turn to tell you: while it does look cool to have a shadow under your arches, there can be none. There is no light source to cast these shadows underground...

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Mr. Detective Creepy atmosphere? Nope, though perhaps an in-game shot showing tinting and lighting would help. Speaking of lighting - windows dark, so it's night. Lamp not lit. So where is the light source? The new carpet is much better, both in itself and contributing towards your atmosphere. But at the moment there is no element which says 'creepy' to me, everything is just 'normal'. I think this will have to be done by tinting/lighting, plus music, plus build-up in the player's mind. A room doesn't have to be 'abnormal' to be creepy.
It looks like this.

The only light source comes from the player. I have the rain and thunder sound effect playing in the map as well. :cool:

I was not trying to create a creepy atmosphere by using abnormal combination of tiles. It's just that I thought they simply happen to go well together. :biggrin:

Edit: Opps! Meant to say I wasn't trying to do so! :o

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Mr. Detective Better in the screenshot, and you've added a pool of blood, which obviously helps tell the player there's something iffy about this place.
But for that pool of blood - I think it needs a subtle edit. At the moment it is absolutely flat, but the carpet would be slightly higher than the floor. You need a slight shadow line to indicate the difference in height. I would also make it semi-transparent. Unless blood is enormously thick, it does not 100% obscure the texture of what it is on. Actually just doing that might allow the shadow of the carpet edge to show through, so you might not need to add one at all. If you wanted to go the extra mile with that blood, I'd use an eraser, set to e.g. 50% opacity and no hard edge, and just thin it out the edges of the pool a bit. As it is, the blood looks a bit cartoony, which detracts from the creepy.

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man I just got into working with Terrax Lighting and I'm blown away at just how much depth it can add to your game. I get goosebumps looking at what I actually created! It's nothing compared to many people here, but to think how much accessibility we have with such beautiful resources blows me away.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tuomo L Is there a reason for the little girl to have her feet above the other people's?
Is she supposed to be standing on a table or something?

Anime-Addiction

Mandatory Mini-Boss
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Posted a fairly large map a couple of pages ago, just showing a little update and asking for opinions.

If you're familiar with the old map, this is the top-right forest section. You can ignore the black, it belongs to a different section of the map that I haven't worked on yet.

As always, feedback and criticism highly valued!

(Just an FYI, I had to cut come of the quality of the actual pic, as it was fairly large if I didn't. So if you zoom in too far you'll notice some light pixelation.)

Anime-Addiction

Mandatory Mini-Boss
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L
Just a heads up for the dialogue, I don't believe 2 honorifics are ever used, you might want to choose either -sama or -senpai. I've consumed a fairly large amount of Japanese media and I've never come across 2 honorifics used in tandem like that. Also, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I've never studied the actual language.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L
Just a heads up for the dialogue, I don't believe 2 honorifics are ever used, you might want to choose either -sama or -senpai. I've consumed a fairly large amount of Japanese media and I've never come across 2 honorifics used in tandem like that. Also, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I've never studied the actual language.
I thought it was a bit humorous.

Also the blonde is honestly not all right in the head.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Dropping a bit of an update on my stuff :kaojoy:

from this weeks screenshotsaturday:

@esby that mapping looks suuuper cute! <3
@Anime-Addiction I really like the general map layout! Tho I'm not sure if there's enough to discover to keep the player entertained, because I can only spot one point of interest right away. Which would be the lake area.

ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nutty171 that makes me think of mario world....3? i really like it :) although if you could find a way to make the bottom bridge have all rounded corners attaching to the land.. right now that one flat edge is sticking out to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?
Wish I could respond to @CraneSoft's latest profile post, but it does remind me. Anyone else out there who likes the Souls series not because of draconian git gud difficulty, but because of its melancholy atmosphere and various cool medieval equips?
I wish I had multiple displays!
one screen feels like using a small table, and the way i usually do things I have a lot of stuff open ...
So annoying !
This one is for all the so-called losers out here :
I like how modern gamers always referring hard games as "The Dark Souls of *Insert Genre*" without ever experiencing a Souls-like game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beldavid