Cricketfoot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm just curious in the different ways people work when building their game. Specifically mapping. 

The hurdle I usually hit is when to map. I tend to start with some sort of village and I take the time to do a so-so map (mapping isn't my strong suit). Then I might fill in the events I want to happen on that map. Then comes another city and more mapping. In no time at all I get map burn and the motivation for the game starts to fizzle because I'm spending so much time trying to get these maps done and in the big picture I've completed just about 0% of my game.

Does anyone ever use blank square maps (filled with something like grass) as a placeholder for a town and once they've completed a portion of the game will go back and actually build the town?

Any other tips or suggestions when it comes to this sort of stuff?

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
the only tip i can give is, RANDOM IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

when making a forest.. dont be all OCD!! place everything randomly!!!

when making cliffs!? RANDOM SHAPE CLIFFS!! straightness and symmetry are your enemies!!!

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I agree with Balako, the same goes for rivers and paths!

If I want to make a certain type of map ( eg. forest, mountain, village) but have no idea how I should make it I look for photos online. For example on certain architectural stiles, different types pf mountains, on the vegetation of forests etc...

I do have one or two place holder maps, but because I do parallax mapping I made my place holders via the "normal" mapping, like this:

f9bNAxv.png

I also think that events like butterflies of birds that randomly fly across the map help to enhance it ^^

Rukomura

Lurker
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
I usually don't move on something else if I don't have the current map done.

I understand your struggle though, I still think I have a long way to go with mapping but there are some tips you can use, like making your maps small and feel it depending on what type it is (forest/nature, city/village, dungeon...)

As others said, for nature and forests you have to be RANDOM and use as much vegetation as you can (but without feeling too much cluttered, I suggest using your guts). Of course practicing with other types of maps is useful as well.

Sometimes when I don't know how to make something I usually look at other games and how other devs map their locations. You can also use the pre-made maps in both VX Ace and/or MV for a general reference on how some things are done!

(To be honest though, I still struggle making good-looking dungeons and villages...)

A last tip might be to plan everything ahead. I hate this part because I like to jump in straight into events and mapping, but It is useful to understand how many places you need and a general idea of how many maps for that place alone.

(Also note I use normal tiles; I do like parallax mapping but takes too much work for me and I want to be fast. If you're still a beginner It's good to practice with normal tiles first.)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

People laughed at me when I said that Activision Blizzard would get bought up by another company if they didn't fire their execs. Now their value has dipped so much Microsoft is willing to buy the company, likely followed by some heavy terminations if they want to purify the current toxic image of Activision Blizzard.
Pro tip: don't be this person.1642536788532.png
ok hear me out here: if the only way my brain can describe things is like with colors is this normal? Like I've described a smell as "dark green and fuzzy" and a taste as "dark blue" like is this a normal thing that happens to people or am I just going insane?? o.0
I'm sitting here, programming, when suddenly, in the distance, I hear a deep booming shout, "Dovahkiin". In an instant, my mind and body is pulling me away, my fingers twitch and notepad++, almost by itself, turns off. The Steam starts to rise and a big green play button appers and I am teleported to Skyrim, because, I am, the Dragonborn! 200 hours played last three weeks, omg o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModdedGen