itachi11115

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all. I am a novice game maker, trying to come up with fun game mechanics which may make my dungeons more interesting, memorable, etc. So far I have come up with some basic ideas: Boulder pushing, grave digging, torch lighting, bush burning, wall breaking, hookshot, etc. I was hoping somebody would be willing to offer up some inspiration from RPGs they've played. I'm not asking for you to share your personal ideas with me, I just don't have the time to play every RPG out there so having other gamers who have had different experiences is a helpful resource. I take most of my inspiration from Legend of Zelda, Elden Ring, Baten Kaitos, Pokemon, and Paper Mario, and don't have a lot of other RPGs under my belt.

the13thsecret

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When I need mechanics, I borrow from the Tomb of Horrors.

I don't have another specific game in mind for game mechanics, especially since you already mentioned great examples. But talking about "why it works" may generate some overall general concepts to measure potential ideas.

Part of the world - You mentioned Paper Mario. I remember that the Crystal Palace was basically a mirror fun-house. That's a more localized example of a mechanic, but something like bomb flowers from the Legend of Zelda could grow anywhere, and maybe it's something well-known to the locals.

Subplot - I don't remember much about the Ocarina of Time Forest Temple, but I remember needing to hunt down the Poe Sisters to light the elevator. Nothing heavy, but something light to keep in the back of my mind instead of "dungeon room, trudge through" all day.

Natural reason - I remember sneaking around Gerudos, because they're determined to protect their base. Lot more interesting than wandering around to kill a random enemy.

Inherent tension - Classic ingredient. How can I get that bomb from the bomb flower to the crack before it blows up?

Gimmick complexity - The mechanic can expand. Like, if I see an obvious tree branch at the start, my hookshot can reach it. I wonder where else I can sneak in a hookshottable place.

I predict that a mechanic would be interesting if tied to the above. And if you want raw game mechanic ideas, I like to look at board games for inspiration. For example, building a path makes me wonder if I could build a path through a dungeon.

Last edited:

itachi11115

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I need mechanics, I borrow from the Tomb of Horrors.

I don't have another specific game in mind for game mechanics, especially since you already mentioned great examples. But talking about "why it works" may generate some overall general concepts to measure potential ideas.

Part of the world - You mentioned Paper Mario. I remember that the Crystal Palace was basically a mirror fun-house. That's a more localized example of a mechanic, but something like bomb flowers from the Legend of Zelda could grow anywhere, and maybe it's something well-known to the locals.

Subplot - I don't remember much about the Ocarina of Time Forest Temple, but I remember needing to hunt down the Poe Sisters to light the elevator. Nothing heavy, but something light to keep in the back of my mind instead of "dungeon room, trudge through" all day.

Natural reason - I remember sneaking around Gerudos, because they're determined to protect their base. Lot more interesting than wandering around to kill a random enemy.

Inherent tension - Classic ingredient. How can I get that bomb from the bomb flower to the crack before it blows up?

Gimmick complexity - The mechanic can expand. Like, if I see an obvious tree branch at the start, my hookshot can reach it. I wonder where else I can sneak in a hookshottable place.

I predict that a mechanic would be interesting if tied to the above. And if you want raw game mechanic ideas, I like to look at board games for inspiration. For example, building a path makes me wonder if I could build a path through a dungeon.
These are GREAT suggestions for improving mechanics, I never would have thought of the inherent tension one. Thank you!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you like those kinds of overworld/map skill progression mechanics, you should try the original Breath of Fire (and I think the second one). It does some similar things with character-specific skills as you gain them in your party.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_6_28_2022_3_2_40.png

There's 7 main areas in the game that are all connected. This train get's you from an underground lab to the center of someone's subconscious. inside the train you can talk to some of the passengers. but going to the top of it, there's battles.
Speedrunning all character portraits just so they all have the same quality. Not sure if this was a good idea, but now I'm almost done.
We now have a gameplay video!
DrBuni wrote on Akiritas's profile.
That is a cute Link picture, reminds me of the Samurai Jack artstyle.
I had an idea on how to get my encounters to leash after chasing the player for a little bit. After going down the Javascript rabbit hole, I realized I could do it in a regular movement route. Derp!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moslngs