Game of Thrones?

jsn2001

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but has anyone made a good GoT game in RPGMaker? I've looked around but haven't seen any, but that can't be right, the show would work amazingly as a turn-based RPG!

[Minor Game of Thrones spoilers below!]

Imagine fighting the Boltons on the bridge with Brienne and her prisoner Jaime, or fighting the Mountain as the Red Viper Oberyn. Surely I'm not the only one that thinks this could really work in a chapter based format with different characters' scenarios. Unfortunately I'm not nearly skilled enough to make it. Practically the only thing I'm successful at is writing dialogue. But hopefully this post inspires someone else to maybe give it a try!

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
   I'll probably be getting some flack for this but in all honesty I was getting tired of asofai when game of thrones was first announced and my attitude hasn't changed much now that it's overtaken the narrative of the books. When a dance with dragons left off I had three characters I was still invested in, everyone else was either dead or I wished they were dead and said book left absolutely nothing resolved that wasn't already resolved before it started. I don't believe George R.R. Martin has a clue how to end his series and judging by his usual time frame for releasing his works I'm seriously doubting he'll live long enough to complete it in any case.

I'm afraid that if I were to start watching the hbo show and watch everyone die again I'd lose all commitment to finishing the series entirely and skip over the last two books if by some miracle the man's constitution holds out long enough to release them, the last thing I want right now would be a video game offering yet a third median to tempt me into reliving all of the death and despair and further ingraining in me the sense of hopelessness that this particular series now invokes. (Also, didn't tell-tale already do just that and it flopped on it's face?)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the reason we haven't seen it is legal reasons, honestly. After all, it is illegal to make a GOT game without the license to do so, even if the game is non-commercial.

Edit: Legal issues aside, there is also the issue that in GOT, everyone dies. And one thing that players hate is having characters they control dying, even if the story dictates it. That's probably why there hasn't even been a game like GOT made yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've moved this thread to General Lounge. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be honest, the whole story wouldnt probably make a good rpg game. It is great narrative as books, but for a game, the pacing, the sheer number of protagonists, the constant change in narrative viewpoint and the political focus would be hard to translate.

I don't think a rpg game could do justice to the ambiance.

maybe an rts, but it was tried already and failed. Westeros is an interesting setting, and maybe a sandboxy game could be good if set in westeros but then it would not fully be ASOIAF.

The most enjoyable experience I had with a westeros game was a Mount & Blade mod.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
It's not very legal and the maker would be far better of putting his energy in his own, original project.

To improve my writing and atmosphere, I did recreate some scenes from GoT in MV, like the chaos is a ladder scene.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrKaito