Game Optimization Question - Larger Tileset or more layers?

BikeHelmet

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

I'm getting my feet wet with making some minigames and tilesets and mapping out part of a game. I just had a quick question before I get further along.

I was modifying some forest tiles and realized that all the combinations for the forest add up to hundreds for them all to look right. So then I changed strategies for my tileset - I have base tiles, and then I have transparent tiles that fit overtop with small extra features. I'll click 2 or 3 onto the tile to get the right look. It keeps my tileset MUCH smaller, but I am worried that I'm compromising performance to do it. Everything that I know about rendering tells me that it might be multiple blits and linearly slow the engine down. What do you think? Can the renderer cope efficiently with that? Is it pre-merging them all at compile, or at map-load, or something?

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...
MY GAME IS NOW OFFICIALLY RELEASED!!
*FurAffinity is down*
*Sets house on fire*
This is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
etiennasse