Game Protection possible?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by PeaceBrigade, Oct 24, 2015.

1. PeaceBrigade

PeaceBrigade Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    This is a general question, HTML5 export I am guessing it is going to be extremely if not almost impossible to protect your game and game assets. By protect I mean in the forms of piracy (Yeah I know... but there are an increasing number of monetized RM games on Steam)

With json it appears that all your scripting, eventing, coding, and everything is completely exposed as well. Are there any solutions for this? Obfuscation would be alright despite that not solving the problem of easily just stealing assets. Stick away from publishing HTML5 copy, and just hope that people don't just take your game, change the name, and then promote it as their own?

2. Matombo

Matombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    in the help (f1) there is a tutorial encrypting with external tools for win and mac

but no way for html5 version

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Someone suggested putting a blank index.html file into each of your resource folders, so when they're loaded up, nobody and just go to the page and look through them. That would provide a little protection.

Chaos17 likes this.
  4. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    That's extremely minor, since someone can easily follow your visible JS to look for your exact resources and such.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother trying to protect my assets. If someone wants to "steal" them, they'll find a way to do so. That's possible even for traditional games anyway.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is another aspect to this, and I haven't heard anything about how to solve it.

Store bought resource packs cannot be used in e.g. games put on Steam workshop because they have to be unencrypted.  So where does that leave using store resources in html5 games?

6. Matombo

Matombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    isn't that something you normally handle with .htaccess files?

however as soon as the ressource is on screen it's on the browsercache anyways and it's not hard to find a programm to extract every kind of file out of your browser cache