Game Publishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ameer, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ameer

Ameer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey i want to ask about Publishing i am creating a game and i am not even on Facebook and twitter . So i was thinking about a publisher are there any good publishers for my game being made in Rpg maker mv and it's really not using too much of default mechanics contains an in-depth battle System . It also have a Skill tree that's still in Development . Game is Story and Text Heavy
    as game is Adult game so i can't discuss much story here but there's a Reddit thread you can see for more Story Details

My Reddit Thread -:

(Read Replies too and Sorry if i had some spelling or grammar mistakes because my native language is not English )
    (It's not my first game but my first commercial game saying this because lot of people assume that this would my First game)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Because Degica is a publisher too, publishers can't advertise themselves here. However, what I've seen is most publishers want the games to be finished or near finished before you even begin discussion with them. So focus on making it first, then see who you can find for that.

3. Ameer

Ameer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok thanks but i also wanna ask you about rights will Publisher take rights for my game . For example if a game get successful and Developer wanna release it's sequel . Can he release it

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Depends on publisher, sorry. Though I'd say any good publisher will not do that to you. But you'll have to contact them and read the contract carefully.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As mentioned before, publishers usually want to see what you've done before they start to talk to you.
    The main reason for this is that creating a game is a lot of work, much more than most people think - most of the projects that are started with a lot of will from the new developer are newer finished. And the publishers don't want to waste their own time by talking with someone who sounds enthusiastic only because he/she doesn't understand how much work lies ahead.

Adding to that it is extremely rare that the first game someone completes gets commercially published, simply because they often need that first game to learn what they're doing, resulting in that first game to be of limited quality.
    That is the main reason why a lot of people tell new developer to never start with their "dream game".
    Your dream game has the highest chance of being successfull if it is the second or third game you make, because the first game is usually bad - and having your dream game turn bad would not encourage you to continue...

Wavelength likes this.
  6. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With the publisher question being so tricky with a publisher-hosted discussion page (refer again to point one) your best bet is a middle man approach (through Facebook or Reddit or any other neutral party) in order to verify interest thereof. As for the contract, you may want to reference with a local expert (practicing or academic) and don't go too fast (you get what you pay for, after all - and some of the possibilities may be a bit too good for sake of the truth, in which case that's exactly what happens at a good 99% of all cases).

7. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    OK. First of all, your link doesn't work.

Second of all, the way you presented your... offer, or invitation, is quite bad. The first thing people can judge about you is how you communicate. If people see a post with full of questionable grammar errors, spelling mistakes, random capitalizations all over the place, no one is going to want to work with you. :oops:

Also:
    :rolleyes:

If you want your game to gain any attention, start by posting it first. I can't see or judge your work if you show us nothing. What is this in-depth battle system or skill tree? Did you script everything yourself or did you borrow someone's work?

Another thing that would help is to have some reputation among the community. I don't know how Degica communicates to their branch or staff overseas, considering this is an English website, they might or might not pay much attention. But in this community, no one knows who you are, and you have nothing to show people. Make a name for yourself first. Once you have chunked out about three or so good games, the community will be more aware of your identity and look forward to your games. You will have a better chance of being noticed by publishers, or selling your games to them.

And lastly, if you are worried about publishers stabbing you in the back, get a good lawyer or some kind of business advisor. Read the contract carefully.

Wavelength and lianderson like this.
  8. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another list of important points that I did not even consider at first.

The point regarding your primary language information sounds confusing and contradictory (though at least plausible if it is for communication reasons and requirements for as long as you have someone who understands this which is probably a very rare occurrence) but you should at least have a working initial distribution or concept or work in progress or anything to the effect. And at least make sure you are not using asset rips or similar (not something we condone here for obvious reasons but which is borderline feasible if used exclusively as placeholder assets so long as they don't make the final product, and by then you should already have your release assets ready to go).

9. Ameer

Ameer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp
    Ok i thought Publishers will do that and was'nt Sure about it but thanks for your Reply
    @Andar
    And as i said in Post this is not my First game
    @Mr. Detective
    Sorry if my Reddit thread is not working
    Ok Here's Story -:

Zeus Comes on Earth and Kill us we Don't know why . We wake up in Hell with a Man Called Hilbert . Our Memory is Wiped out now we'll eventually get out of Hell By Collecting Endless Crystals and Creating Endless Sword in our Way we meet Hilbert's Girlfriend Cerina and after a some Days she will tell us about how she feels about us like we have met before . There's a brief Sex Scene of Him and Hilbert than she will get Kidnapped by a Devil (There are four each with unique Story i have only yet Thought about Three of Them from which i already made two of them).First Devil. he will be defeated in in First Area of Game but he will Return when We'll be collecting our Second Endless Crystal and will Posses a Guardian Deity who was Standing in Between of Hell and Heaven . Then We have to Defeat Devil and then Hilbert will meet us and tell us to give a letter to Cerina when we reaches there Cerina was Kidnapped by a Devil and he'll Try to Rape her but before all of This happens we'll save the day and Story will Goes on With us Collecting Crystals until we get into Nightmare World where our old Memories trigger us and we get some of Our Scenes From Past When We defeated dragon Who wanna Destroy World by Following Orders of Zeus and Cerina Also Get Visions about us then we Discover there's a Devil in Night mare World and then we kill Him too and Story moves on . also I forgot to Mention about a character of My Game Master Eli he's a Good Guy and gives us Training by Fighting us on Different Occasions . After we'll collect every Endless Crystal and attached it to our Sword . Then Hilbert our Friend We'll ask us to give him Sword He wanna Check Something in it and we gives it to him . Then us a Powerless Mortal and Hilbert now All Power full Guy We have to Defeat Him . After We have Done that . Cerina and us Both will Get our Memories back we'll discover that we both we're in a relationship on Earth and when she died with us on our Quest of defeating ultimate Dragon . She came here in hell and Hilbert Erased her Memory and grew a relationship with her and there will be another Sex Scene of us and Cerina Together . Then we will again Encounter Zeus he will Rip our Sword from Our equipment and will again defeated by Zeus but This time we'll not Die because of Power of Sword We Held Before a Moment and we'll Discover about a Cycle of us Gaining and Losing ultimate Power because we have done that when we Defeated The Ultimate Dragon .

Unique Battle System -:

It's like i have Combined and Active Turn Battle System With Conditional Turn Battle System . Player and Enemies will attack as how much Agility they have and Their is Full access to equipment in Battle and Skills to Boost our Stats and right now i am also Trying to implement Actuve Time Battle System to it . Actually i realized it's not that unique but is In-depth .

This is what i have wrote on reddit and how do i make my name

@BreakerZero
    Thanks for your points i will take them in consideration

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unfortunately your "story" reads otherwise, with several formal and content-wise problems.

1) It's an uninterrupted wall of text - that is bad formatting that makes it almost unreadable and will scare people away from your games. Learn how to use paragraphing at minimum.
    2) Your "style" of capitalizing most words also makes it difficult to read. There are places where wrong grammar can be used as an emphasis, but to do so you need to understand what you're doing - and a synopsis is the wrong place for this. That is what I meant with the same comment in your other topic - just copying things that "look cool" when done by others is not always correct, because if you don't understand why something works and is used you often end up using it wrong and creating more problems.
    3) Another formal minus: A synopsis or even a story summary is more than unconnected single-sentence-retelling of what happens. Sorry if I can't really describe what puts me off - it is in the writing style itself and something that makes the difference between a good writer and a bad one, but it is very difficult to describe.

on to the content problems.
    4) you're mixing mythologies, and that is another thing that rarely works out unless you know both mythologies and exactly what you're doing. Zeus is greek mythology, and he would send you to Hades, not Hell - and Hades is nothing like what you use in your story, because greek Hades is very different from the Christian Heaven/Hell, for example it has no devils and is mostly empty. You better stay within one mythology for most cases.
    5) nothing in the story is really new - in fact it is an extremely common sequence.
    OK, there are no really new ideas, but the good games at least try to give a new or interesting implementation of an idea - and nothing in your description even points toward such a thing.

Part of that is the way you present it (see formal points above), but another thing is that you admit to never having read or corrected it for yourself.
    I'm talking about your
    followed by something that is absolutely commonplace to hundreds of games.

If you really forgot something, you go back and edit it into the part of the text where it belongs.
    You NEVER write a text as is and then place it without corrections - that is extremely unprofessional and the mistake of a newbie developer.
    There is a good reason why printing houses have editors to work through books before they're printed, and even good world-class writers with millions of books in print need proof-readers to check their texts before publication, and you need to do the same and rework your text if you find something wrong.

Yes, there sometimes is a good place for such comments - but only if you know exactly what you're doing when "breaking the fourth wall" as it is usually called - and then only to point out something that is extraordinary instead of commonplace.

Silversmith likes this.
  11. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gonna have to echo that on the mythology part because unless it was intended to be like that (meaning as a loose interpretation) then you may wish to rewrite that part or explain the intent if you are hoping to even get anywhere.

This is also why the go-to line for the unexpected in my project literally reads "there goes the fourth wall". @Andar also exemplifies this with just as much of a reflection on the subject, if not more.

12. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Don't worry about a Publisher for now. Publishers exist to take something that's already really good and (usually) intended for commercial sale, and "throw some fuel on the fire" by helping with the finishing touches, distribution, and marketing.

Your game is not in that place yet. The story (aside from issues with style and grammar) is cliche, scattered, and random. It lacks a flow of cause and effect. The characters don't seem to have compelling motivations, and they don't drive the action. There are a lot of issues with it, but I don't want to pile on too much. The details of the battle system are too vague to evaluate, but the weight of explanation toward how it works underneath the hood (rather than what cool things players can do in it) makes me believe that it probably doesn't offer anything supremely thrilling.

That's okay, though! You just need to hone your craft. Figure out what it is that you are really good (or really enjoy doing), and refine that skill until you can offer the world something that very few other game designers can offer. Examine why you are creating each part of an RPG, and ask yourself why you are creating it - and then answer that question definitively using every single element of your game (don't include anything "just because most RPGs have it"). Once your skills and your game are in those respective places, no publisher will be able to deny that you are worth their investment and their time.

Silversmith likes this.
  13. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ameer Please stop posting your game idea in every topic you create. General Discussion is for broad discussions, not to examine one person's game.

For example, this discussion in a general sense would be about what anyone should look for in a publisher, not "Who on here wants to publish my game?" which is what your original post reads as.

In addition, this should be in Commercial Discussion because the sole purpose of a publisher is to help put your game out there for sale. At least, I feel I can confidently say, most people would not want to invest in a game that is not going to bring in money.

I strongly encourage you to look through the Commercial Discussion section and read what threads already exist about publishers. But as this is not a general discussion, nor in the right forum, I'm closing this particular thread.

BreakerZero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.