watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This actually came about when I was thinking of whether a "good story" is the same for everyone. This is the love aspect. I wonder whether say a game "built for guys" or "built for girls" will resonate with players not in the target group.

So how do you feel about romance in games that's "not your type"? For example you are a straight guy and you play as a female protagonist and you get to date all these guys? Or you are female and you play a game where the male hero goes after a female romantic interest? Or you are gay and play a straight game and vice versa?

How is it the same with the type of romance you prefer? How is it different?

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I'm a guy and I love playing as a female protagonist. For love interests I usually go with whatever character I feel the protagonist has more chemistry with, so sometimes it's gay sometimes it's straight. If I replay a game I'll change partners until I've gone through them all. I've played a few otome games and enjoyed them.
I rarely play as a male protagonist, if I do I usually play the gay option last, if at all.
I don't think it's because I identify more with a male protagonist. I identify and roleplay plenty with the female protagonists. I guess it's just that MxM romance doesn't spark the same interest as the others for me.
That said, most of my male friends don't ever touch female protagonists, so I might very well be in the minority here.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Romance...
My personal thought about this genre is I don't like the fact that it was publicly shown. I think romance itself should be hidden within the story. You do NOT talk about it. You ONLY show the possibility.

In galge, you can see all the character. You already know that you will end up with one of them. To me, that already ruined the romance.

BUT suppose you write just a normal action story. Don't give a damn about romance at all. Just play it casually until suddenly people can see a spark between two character out of nothing. No context, no explanation, but people just can feel it. Now this is what I think is a good romance! It's born from your wild imagination~

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have a problem to play as a girl. Besides I like to date guys too xD Same as above, I choose the chemistry/love, no matter it's str8 or gay couple.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unless you are making a galge, love aspects are mostly only secondary to the story you wanted to tell. IMO as long as it is natural within the story context, it shouldn't really matter much as your players are playing a game, not watching a love story.

Female protagonists are actually very well received amongst male players (at least in Japan), even outside the naughty industry. Personally I also like playing as female over male..this way I don't really mind if I'm romancing either a guy or another girl.(lel)

MagicPizzaGuy

Mother of All Omelettes
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it's a game that doesn't focus on romance whatever, I can play as a girl and get a dude. I like the romance in mass effect because it has zero impact on the gameplay and it's completely optional. Love you Tali, but not that weird lame lazy ass photo the devs made. Don't care about female or male protagonist.​
When I played visual novels that are focused on you romancing one character I just can't play as female protagonist, I just can't feel invested, with the only exception being that game about single daddies, that one was really funny. Only male straight protagonist.​
If it's about hentai then just don't make lewd scenes happen only when I lose, I hate this, why must I lose to see the H-scene, I want to win. But whatever female or male protagonist works.​

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well last time I play a game for romance is tokimeki memory
just at that time I don’t have other game to play…
I never play game for romance
for me it is cherry on the cake
if it sweet well that a plus
if it not well never mind if the cake is good

and actually I always play as a girl if I can choose gender
because I like to look at cute sexy girl more than male’s booty…
some people are role playing as the protagonist
but me… I play my self as observer or narrator
I play god and make decisions but not care that much like other
that say they not in to opposite gender protagonist

but yes If I play sim date only game I’m not play girl game
but again I’m not play them in the first place

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So prefacing this with I'm pan, so I'd pretty much romance anything in a game, even Cthulhu if it was an option. I also generally play as a female unless the dialogue/story is different as a male (Sword of Mana comes to mind).

I will play just about any combo for a romance provided the character is interesting enough. That's the draw for me, whether or not I like the character. With the Mass Effect series, I have a play through for almost every romance you can get. There are just three characters (five if you count Andromeda) that I could not bring myself to romance because I found them so damn irritating. It kills me because I'm a completionist and want all the achievements/story bits but I'd rather have my teeth scraped with sandpaper than romance them.

Honestly, Dragon Age 2 did romance in the best way. Almost everyone is romanceable by both genders (still disappointed I can't romance the Dwarf) so players get to choose who and what they're most interested in.

On the flip side, my husband will also romance characters. He always plays as a girl (for the above "better to look at" reasoning) and if there are perks/rewards involved with romancing characters, he will romance the guys first before moving on to the girls and ending at his favorite choice. Otherwise, he just does whichever character he likes the most.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly...

I have no real preference when it comes to "love stories". Well, except that they're done well. I don't watch "Romantic Comedies" because... well... They're trashy, boring, and predictable. Likewise, they don't have "real people" as characters and have walking clichés as characters.

If the romances are done well, I will play as all characters and romance everyone. If done poorly... I don't bother unless there's an achievement.

So, I dislike most "Visual Novel" type games because everyone is a cliche and a "trope". That makes romancing them quite boring. However, I make an exception for games like "Clannad", where the people have shades of the tropes they are, but are otherwise realistic people. I have met people like the main characters of that game in real life. Not exactly, no, but I've met people like them.

Then, you have games that Bioware makes which are "hit or miss" for their relationships. In Mass Effect 1, I romanced each character on different runs. I quite enjoyed getting to know them all as people and seeing how having a relationship with my Shepard changed them as people. But, in Dragon Age 1 and Dragon Age 2, it was hard to find anyone "realistic" enough to want to actually date.

By the time I got to Mass Effect 3 and was interested that they had added "gay options" for Shepard, they had seriously declined in their storytelling aspects.

Let me sum up being a male in Mass Effect 3 and trying to date "the gay option":
"Wahhh, wahhh, wahhhhhhhh... my last husband is super dead and has been for a super long time, and even though I grieved, I never really grieved, and he's still super dead, and still for a super long time, and you should pity me and help me get over my dead husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He literally dates you because you're his freakin' therapist. I don't even mean that you're his emotional support. No. He dates you because you help him get over his dead husband. Yeah, THAT'S a good basis for a relationship. Thanks for the pandering, Bioware. I was seriously hoping for something INTERESTING. I may be a straight male, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy romance between two characters, no matter who they are. As annoying and stupid as it felt to me to endure that relationship, I can't imagine how potentially offensive it must've felt to people actually LOOKING for that in the game.

All I want out of romance in any medium is to feel happy that the characters get what they wanted in a partner. I'm not looking for shameless pandering. I'm not looking for "cheesecake". I'm looking for two people who are genuinely happy to be together and will give everything to ensure that their partner is happy. That's it. That's all.

I don't honestly engage in "romance" in games, anime, movies, or novels based on my own personal preferences in a partner. I just want to experience the joy of people finding "their special someone" and that's it.

I'm easy to please.

That doesn't usually stop a lot of writers from messing that up, though.

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a girl and I don't mind playing as a guy who gets to experience romance with girls. When I play a game, I don't immerse myself in the role. So I just ship my guy character with the girls and that makes the thing very natural for me.
I actually like a little bit of romance in games. There doesn't have to be a lot of it throughout the whole game (really, there doesn't have to be... unless the game is centered on romance.) But little hints are appreciated since it helps me to not get sad that these characters had the perfect chance to be together but they're not! Just make sure you don't end up making a cliche storyline or character that makes the player want to punch the character they're romancing.
I was actually planning to put a bit of BL in my game and the responses in this thread might give me an idea if I really should. *watches thread*

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
for a character to develop a romance in a realistic fashion, you have to know how romance works *realistically*:
-you are a person, with a background, with experiences, with opinions, tastes, views and whatnot.
-you go about your life, sharing your experiences with people.
-eventually, you find somebody of like mind and heart, that shares your views and experiences, and you can get to be friends with them.
-and *very rarely* you find somebody that shares not only that view, but also the projections of those views into the future, and creates a stronger bond, and you get to call them partners.

and for that, you need a strong background for your characters, something written and set in stone beforehand, before you get to place that character in the universe surrounded by the rest of your cast, not a rolling ball of random plot devices written "on the go" as you develop the story.

No. He dates you because you help him get over his dead husband. Yeah, THAT'S a good basis for a relationship.
has anyone ever found a scenario where a potential partner you're courting would NOT give in, no matter what you do?
regardless of preference, you're trying to court some character, and the character is simply not interested, and it's impossible to get them to love you.
I'm not saying the option for courting is disabled, only that the hookup is impossible.
I don't believe I've ever seen that in a game.

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
has anyone ever found a scenario where a potential partner you're courting would NOT give in, no matter what you do?
regardless of preference, you're trying to court some character, and the character is simply not interested, and it's impossible to get them to love you.
I'm not saying the option for courting is disabled, only that the hookup is impossible.
I don't believe I've ever seen that in a game.
Dragon Age: Inquisition does have this. The gay male relationship can still be started as a female character but once you select the option to continue into more then just flirting, the character responds and clarifies that he's gay and it won't be happening. However, you can still flirt with him afterwards as playful banter. They also have the racist hobo who will dump you partially through the game which locks you out of other relationships.

But other than that, I honestly can't think of many games that have that option. That being said, I don't really like that portion of the game where it makes me feel like I'm wooing someone but that it's doing nothing. Even a message saying the character isn't romanceable (whether it is in dialogue or notes or something) as opposed to me wasting my time in trying to get additional story.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@watermark, how are you today? I do not see a long time.

I think it doesn't matter. Depending on you, the writer. We, audiences just watch and play your stories you like to tell. In family friendly games, I don't see characters go to bathrooms, change clothes, take a shower, or have a matter in bedroom.

If you are dating a game, then you let players pick whatever then everyone is happy.

Ha ha ha, Can I ask you directly? Are you thinking about making an adult game?

Last edited:

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can also throw my coin in to majorly agree with most of these.

I Prefer as a woman to play female and date men. In the case I am forced to play as only a guy, I WOULD prefer if I was forced to play male there be a male option, but if the overall gameplay and story is good him dating a female I like/choose won't break the game for me. <3

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
The amount of games where I had to play as a straight guy and his harem until I found the few female lead games (which usually had only one love interest)... well, let's just say I have no issue with either.

I prefer playing as a woman, and I like a bit of romance in a game, but I'm not going to decide not to play a game if the main is a guy and/or there's no romance. That doesn't bother me, unless I feel in the mood for something romantic (which is basically never).

I don't think it's as big a deal as you appear to think it is. Maybe someone might prefer to have some representation, but if the waifu/husbando is cute enough, don't matter if you're straight, gay, pan, male or female or everything in-between - love is gonna be enjoyed.

If you're really worried about it being a thing that people might not like, add a non-romance option.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think, by and large, the "gamer community" in general is a lot more tolerant than most mainstream media might lead a person to believe. That is to say, we typically don't care if we're playing the opposite gender, or we've only got certain options available to us as love interests, or certain options available to us for other aspects of character creation and interaction.

By and large, most of us tend to realize that it's a game. It isn't meant as something to reflect ourselves. It's meant as something we play to have a good time, and so long as we are having a good time... it doesn't really matter.

I think most of us gamers also just tend to pick the person we would most likely date in these games as well. If I have to play a woman and my options are for guys, I'll just pick the one I most enjoy interacting with.

I think there are very few of us who would really care about "no representation". Is representation great? Absolutely. Is it necessary? I don't think so. If your game is good, that is all that counts. Is your game fun? That's what matters.

Write a good story, write some great characters, and most of us will show up regardless of if you're representing our personal preferences.

The most I worry about in games like that is: "Is there anyone I'd even like, personality-wise?"

Heck, in Stardew Valley, I really only like the one person. I like Leah, 'cause she fits closest to what I'd actually choose in a partner. She's upbeat, artistic, and is the only one in town that decorates her house for each holiday. That is, she has the most decorated house in the entire game for each season and I love that. She puts a lot of effort and care into things and loves holidays.

Most games, I'm just looking for someone I can tolerate.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, I find that a lot of romance (sorry guys, but "especially in RM games") is generally poorly-written and/or it feels too forced, and when that's the case, you're better off just leaving it out. When it's done well though, then absolutely, and it makes the characters that much more likeable.

As for who I prefer playing, I'd say female characters because they're more relatable to me, but also because I grew up playing games where female protagonists were as rare as rocking horse crap. Maybe I'm trying to make up for that? Anyway, as long as the story's good I'm pretty okay with both, and since I'm not a multi-playthrough type of player, I'll romance whichever love interest (opposite sex as the protagonist) I like and/or relate to best. The only time I'll make them gay is if the opposite-sex choices are all horrible--this is nothing against gay folks, it's just not something I'm really all that into.

Well, unless I hate the protagonist, in which case I'll pair him/her with the most dislikable match so that (in my head, anyway) everyone else in the party can have better options. ;) In fact, that's the thing--much moreso than the protagonist being male or female, I really just want them to be likeable and not annoying/angsty/stupid/etc.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not a huge fan of romance in any form of media (I feel like it interferes with character development), but when it comes to my tolerance for romancing genders that are "not my type" (i.e. men, since I'm a straight man), it depends on the point-of-view.

If the protagonist is a blank slate, it feels like it is me flirting with men, and the characters talking to me, and that's weird and feels a bit nasty to me.

If the protagonist is a fully-developed character with a backstory and a personality, and I'm controlling them and having them flirt with guys (whether the character is a lady or a gay/bi man), that feels fine to me. I can enjoy someone else's story and lead them to happiness (or at least a really good one-night stand).

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm a guy and I don't mind playing as my opposite gender. If given by a choice, I would probably play as the opposite gender anyway. For, "obvious reason" to most men.

I don't play romance games, but I do play a game that has romance flavor that isn't the main dish of the game. I'm more into the straight pairing, but I don't mind getting a gay pairing out of nowhere. Like, when I chose the wrong choice of romance talk in fallout 4 and I ended up having a gay romance with a certain character. I didn't reload, I'd just roll with it.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a gay man I pretty much feel the same way as @Wavelength that if the protag is a blank slate (and thus me) it feels off to romance a woman but if the character is developed I have no issue with it.

As for romance in games in general I only like it if it is done with depth and care and not just as a quick thrill or 'cause it is a feature thats popular'.
I Also dislike it when there are no consequences to romancing a character and the game ignores it.

And thats my two cents anyway xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1 million messages is approaching. The end is near! M1M is like Y2K, but forum based. It's a bug that's gonna delete all attachments when we hit 1 mil messages. At least with Y2K we had warning....
If you manage to make a game that people play for hours, then reminding them to take a break gives that “This game cares about me” feeling and also lowers chance of burnout with your game.
Well... things are slow. I'm still waiting to get called back into my position, but I do have some time to design my games.
Suddenly wanna hear this ...
The best way to end your day? Cuddle your kitten! :LZSproud:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popa182005