Game won't load my in game save file.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by theofficialcherrim, Jan 7, 2017.

1. theofficialcherrim

theofficialcherrim Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I was editing my game, and then I went to playtest it. In the load file screen, I clicked my main save file and it gave me the buzzer noise signifying I

couldn't access it. I tried testing it with my other save files, and it worked fine, but these save files are like way off in the game. Any ideas on how

to fix it?

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Either that file was damaged somehow (in which case you can only delete it), or you added a script that made that savefile incompatible, either by blocking that slot for its own functions (especially if that was the first savefile) or by making the content of the savefile incompatible (happens with 80% of all scripts, but will usually not result in a buzz but in error messages in gameplay).

Without more details what exactly happened we can only guess - but when you get to balancing and playtesting, you'll have to start a new game dozens of times anyway and play through your game again and again to find all errors, so starting a new playtest now doesn't really matter much in my opinion...

3. theofficialcherrim

theofficialcherrim Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I understand. It usually doesn't for me, but this i really near towards the end of the game xD But that's fine tho! I guess I'll restart.

4. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    In cases like that, just move the player start location to the area you need to test. If certain items/switches/variables need to be set to properly test the event, I generally just drop in a treasure chest that when opened, sets everything as needed and gives the required stuff so I can just move on with testing. I do this on the assumption that a save file will be broken every single time I alter something, despite this being untrue.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As Andar says, adding new scripts that are incompatible with saved games causes an error and a crash, not the buzzer sound (usually).  If you're getting a buzzer it's because there's something in the save file that can't be loaded.  It is possible to find out what this is simply by disabling the error handling around loading the save file, which WILL cause it to generate an error (this might point to what the problem is, or you might have to add a few more commands to output stuff to the console to see what's going on).

You should have a pretty good idea anyway of what you might have changed that could have caused this.  Any scripts added while you were editing since the last time you loaded this save successfully?

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If you get a buzzer upon loading, then you probably added a script that is trying to load something from the file that doesn't exist on your save file.

I experienced this a lot before when I was trying to mess with the data saved by the game.. XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017