RM2k/3 GameBoy-Style graphics

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by AlterEvo, Aug 2, 2018.

1. AlterEvo

AlterEvo Warper Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Hi guys!

I'm working in a project, actually a demo, to make a 2003 RPG with the game boy color palette (4 colours). Is actually too far to beign playable, but I want to share some of the sprites I'm working on. Do you guys think if I keep up this quality I can made a game that can be interesting for people?

I'm also thinking on some interesting mechanics, involving a limited number on consumables and no random events, so you have to choose which and how many enemys fight and that will influence the outcome events.

Well, I don't want to ancticipate too many details, I just leave here main hero pictures (even if is a lot of work, I love using big sprites in conversations) and a chipset WIP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think guys? Does it call your attention?

2. barnzie8

barnzie8 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Seems most people dislike the default rpgm graphics, so you have one plus for many. It looks good, but I'm going to need more than good graphics, more of a gameplay guy myself.

Marquise* likes this.
  3. numituwi

numituwi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The art is really good! However, in my experience it's better to focus on game elements before heading to art. Art can be draining if you draw too many things that will get cut because the game play doesn't call for it.

Your mechanics sound good so far though, keep posting!

Finnuval likes this.
  4. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can’t say anything about the game itself since I know nothing about it but the art on display isn’t bad (it’s actually quite good!). If I were to give some advice I'd say the palette is a little bit to saturated for my taste. I think less green and more gray would be easier on the eyes. And while the portrait busts look nice I'm more curious to how your tile sheets look (if you've made any yet?).

That being said, I don't think most people specifically like "Game Boy visuals". In this day and age I suspect most people prefer, or even expect, higher resolution and more colors. Even people who enjoy pixel art usually prefers more colors. But, if the quality and art direction is good enough I believe people can overlook it, despite not being really into it. And if you want to make your game in this art style then you absolutely should do that. Good game play and story will ultimately trump any art style in the end anyway.

Of course, there are a few people who ARE into it too, counting myself as one. But I believe those who prefer Game Boy visuals over something that looks more like the MV RTP is a small minority.

By the way, reason I found your thread and chose to comment was because I'm currently making Game Boy inspired art assets to be used in RPG maker myself. :kaojoy: Although, I decided to add a fifth shade since I didn't feel four was enough to add the level of detail I wanted.

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  5. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I think the biggest advantage in keeping colors and anti-alias minimum would be the memory weight of the game :3 I love it kinda the computer version of Gustave Doré's work!

Parallax Panda likes this.
  6. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marquise*
    Another advantage during development is that it saves time. Less colors and lower resolution means less details which translate to less time needed to finish the assets.

For a one-man dev team, Game Boy graphics can be a smart for more than one reason.

Marquise* likes this.
  7. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    That, I do admit I am not always thinking about it until somebody wants box cover 2D anim style -_-; (as in animating not just puppeteering in flash the elements of the illustration)

Parallax Panda likes this.
  8. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All right now, I can say now is great pictures.

9. Jayje

Jayje The First Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

sure does!:LZSyum::LZSoops::LZYwink:

Marquise* likes this.
  10. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice graphics, definitely can see this visually working based on your art style. :)