Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Jono99 @Lone Wolf I'll keep this in mind.

FYI: The Logitech Dual Action looks much like a PS2 DualShock (even has the same controller design except it doesn't have 32-point analog sticks which makes playing games like Irritating Stick rather difficult).

Jono99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Reapergurl The physical layout of the controller doesn't matter. What does matter is if it is registered as an XInput device or not. I suggest making a VXA Project, putting Gamepad Extender in it, turning the "Show Console" parameter on and putting the line WolfPad.test in the game's code somewhere where it'll trigger. Then start the game with the controller and only the controller plugged in and trigger the code. If it says that an XInput device is detected, then the controller will work. Hopefully that made sense. If it doesn't I'll quickly throw together a project for you to test it in.

Reapergurl

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Jono99 I have it and my usb keyboard and mouse plugged in (my computer has no PS/2 ports), but RGSS Console reads:

"0 XInput Controllers in use"

I do know that I have a gamepad setup, and it does that part just fine.

How queer...

Jono99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Reapergurl I probably should have mentioned that mouse and keyboards are fine, I was mainly concerned of other controllers being plugged in. Moving on, 

RGSS Console reads:

"0 XInput Controllers in use"

That answers that question, the controller doesn't use XInput drivers. It's probably using DirectInput which Gamepad Extender doesn't handle (although, if @Lone Wolf were to make a DirectInput version, that would solve a lot of problems for people (but I understand why he would say no if he does)).

I do know that I have a gamepad setup, and it does that part just fine.

How queer...

That's probably because the source code in RPG Maker VX Ace handles DirectInput just fine. If you were to mess around with a project with and without Gamepad Extender only to see that the controller behaves the same both times (paying particular attention to what face button does what), we know what's handling the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reapergurl

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Jono99 Is it a simple matter of downloading the drivers?

I mean, I know how an Xbox360 controller works (I got really into Gears of War and Halo); the only difference between that and a PS3 controller is that the left thumbstick is swapped with the digital pad (yes, this technically called a digital pad).

Face buttons: [PSX,X360,LDA(some programs will register button input as the number, minus one like button one being zero, etcetera)]

Square,Y,1

X,B,2

Circle,A,3

Triangle,X,4

L1,LT,5

R1,RT,6

L2,LB,7

R2,RB,8

Select,Select,9

Start,Start,10

L3,L3,11

R3,R3,12

D-Pad,POV Hat

Left Stick, L-Stick X/Y Axis

Right Stick, Right-Stick X/Y Axis

Logitech Dual Action has a special button that swaps the POV Hat and Left Stick (analog mode emulation), similar to a PSX/PS2 controller.

I don't know if any of these controllers come with vibration motors, mine does not have one (not that I particularly mind).

Jono99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Reapergurl Well, there may be drivers, but they'll be third party ones, which can be kind of sketchy. In addition to that, they may still use DirectInput instead of XInput which'll get you nowhere. Sorry.

Lone Wolf

Tsundere
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I didn't write a DirectInput version because there is no way to guarantee the inputs will correspond to the same buttons between controllers. Sometimes Button 1 is X, sometimes it's Square, and the input handler on its own doesn't know anything beyond Button 1 is Button 1. In addition to giving much more difficult data to work with, I'd have to spend even more time setting up some kind of system that allowed people to map their own controller to a different layout, and all that on top of whatever misconceptions people will have about implementing. I decided it wasn't worth it when there are other DirectInput plugins for RGSS already.

XInput is different in that it is a unified standard: A is always A, X is always X. State data is always passed as a single string of bytes, in a specific order, that can always be parsed into consistent data. Controllers that use XInput also tend to share a similar layout, and and input mappers that turn DirectInput controllers into XInput controllers will always provide the same data.

Basically, since most modern PC games no longer use DirectInput, I figured it was safe to just write an XInput version. Since people with DirectInput controllers would have already found a solution to get their pads to work in newer games, I wanted to be compatible with whatever solution the end users had found for themselves and not reinvent the wheel.

Rather than modify any game code to make it work with your gamepad specifically, look into using a program like x360ce to map it into XInput (see earlier in this thread). That way, anyone who plays your game with a different controller can have the same experience. That same configuration can also be used in other PC games. I wrote this module originally with an older Logitech pad mapped into XInput, so I know for a fact that it works.

But you should also be sure you're including bindings for the standard Input module. That's what I wrote PadConfig for.

Jono99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lone Wolf I see. That makes a lot of sense as to why. I'll go ahead and seek one of those DirectInput modules out. May prove useful for a particular thread question I tried to answer once before involving Playstation Buzz controllers.

Reapergurl

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Lone Wolf @Jono99 I don't know why I cannot get it to work; I don't want to change the way the XInput mapping is set up, I got the x360ce software and it works, I have no clue what I am doing wrong (if anything).

Still says 0 XInput controllers in use, after seven tries.

Lone Wolf

Tsundere
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmmm... x360ce should work fine, unless...

Did it create xinput1_3.dll in the game directory? You might need to tell it to install xinput9_1_0.dll instead. I let myself get talked into pointing this module's API calls to the generic Windows version because people couldn't be bothered to install DirectX, but the end result is stuff that expects to replace the actual XInput DLL gets messed up.

Reapergurl

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Lone Wolf I have the program x360ce on a secondary flash drive, and it created the dynamic link library file there.

Is it enough to copy/paste the dll?

Or...I dunno.

Also, does it matter where I put the dll file? I put it in System of the game file I've decided to test it in.

If that is incorrect, please tell me where it does go.

Lone Wolf

Tsundere
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The DLL and the INI file generated by x360ce need to be in the same directory as the game's EXE.

Reapergurl

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Lone Wolf Now it registers correctly.

Now to get it to function correctly...

Fernandoesra

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Hi ^^ I have a doubt.

I want to change the controls of controller but I do not know what each number is assigned to the inputs.

I guess by changing the numbers in these lines I can get it (See the files on the post) But... I do not know which ID is every thing.

There is another problem. Whenever pulse "Start" the character runs up and if pulse "RB" the character goes to the right. No matter how I change the lines. I try to change all the id's to 0 and Start and RB still work with up and right.

Screenshot_1.png

Jono99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Fernandoesra That's not what you do to change the inputs. Please do not change them (I think the script say as much). Judging from what you said before, it sounds like there's a chance that you're actually using a DirectInput controller and not an XInput controller (this script works with XInput only). If you press F1 when in a game, a window should pop up which allows you to configure settings. One of the tabs (I think the very last one) allows you to alter the DirectInput button mapping. If that doesn't work, let me or someone else (probably @Lone Wolf) know and we'll try to help again.

Lone Wolf

Tsundere
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For those who are curious, my gamepad module was modeled as closely as possible to the original RGSS Input module as could be determined from the exposed API. I apologize in advance for this response, but...

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO CHANGE THE INPUT MAPPING HASH.

Most of the values it contains are actually taken from the original Input module, so changing it is the same as changing the meanings of the default buttons. There are other ways to do that.

I realize that English is not your native language, but do try and read my documentation before you try arbitrarily changing the code itself. I promise it's not nearly as hard to use as it looks.

Dynelf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How do I download or copy the script?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do I download or copy the script?
Looks like the original download link vanished in the forum update.

Please check the master script list to see if it still has that link.

Dynelf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The wiki leads to the former url for this thread.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making test maps is really illuminating when it comes to figuring out how the real maps should be. It's like the outline that one writes for the story before writing the actual story.
I am adamant about not having missable quests, which means having to write entirely new scenes at each plot progression that takes into account that time and events have passed since the quest could first be accepted while still having there be a quest to solve in the first place. It's worth every second.
Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RickdiculousG