Neutron21

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most people recommended the Xbox controller but I see that the Logitech F310 is actually pretty good and inexpensive. I used it out of the box on emulation as well on various platforms with no problems either. It has a toggle for Xinput and Dinput. My question is if one is going to have support for gamepads are these still going to work fine in the future or are they being phased out for something more modern for gaming?

I had a steam controller but I did not like it at all, I prefer not needing to rely on third party software just to use a gamepad. The Logitech F310 works out of the box and has been my go to controller.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I set up my PS4 controllers on my laptop and they work fine for RPGMaker MV and MZ, as well as any deployed projects made with them. There are plug-ins that require keyboard input and such, but by default I am able to use game controllers fine. I think developers will maintain the choice. (Like hover and mouse click events won't work with a controller, data input requires keyboard with certain plug-ins)

There is still a lot of people who prefer controllers, I use a hybrid tactic usually of controlIer and keyboard most times. I hope this answers your question.

I think your Logitech will work just fine and continue to do so...

Neutron21

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It helps. I know there is a plugin that allows you to add keys to bring up the map, item, equipment menu but since I only was able to kinda glance at it, I'm not sure if I can be able to use it for both keyboard and gamepad. I would like to have it as a option for gamers who prefer a gamepad such as myself.

If anyone else is curious about these controllers.

Specs:

Plugin: Yanfly Keyboard config

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use these controllers, they work great for any PC game that you'd want a controller for, and that includes my RPG Maker game; although I haven't gone to the trouble of defining the controls at this point, the default movement controls and commands like "OK", "Cancel", etc all get assigned to reasonable buttons on the controller automatically. So depending how complex your input needs are, you might not even need a plugin?

As you said, this controller supports Xinput and DirectInput, neither of which seem likely to be phased out any time soon. AFAIK, Xinput actually is the X-Box controller API, so Microsoft will ensure it remains the standard on PC for the foreseeable future.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well, I've decided I'll take a break on making Forgotten Eclipse...and Make a mod for FNF
Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while
MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkValkyrieSin