Gameplay description and Steamworks clearance

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by BreakerZero, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, a quick update on my process with Steam. I have finally got my Steampipe running that previously befuddled me to who knows what and now I have one final question regarding the main product listing. In this case, following suggestions from Steam support I added my extended description including plot details, expectations and the like and now there's only one piece left in the puzzle as my second draft was sent back with a "how does it play" question. Or to quote the Steam rep who shot back my submission:

So basically all I need at this point is a more in-depth gameplay description, if nothing else (meaning it's the bare minimum I have left to describe). Something like the following (and this is a draft within a draft should anyone suggest improvement):

Any suggestions for improvement, or is this sufficient enough from anyone's experience around here?

2. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My opinion may not help here, but the description the steam rep wants to see might be a bit meatier for them if you listed things in "bullet points".

I don't know what your game is about, or any of the mechanical aspects either so think of this as an extreme rough draft, or template.

* Classic gameplay elements in the vein of (try listing a few great games you are molding your product to.. might require reaching out to IP rights holders to avoid any potential legal battles.)
    * Choose your strategy, either subduing foes with a vast selection of special abilities and weapons, or choosing more subtle means of avoiding combat altogether.
    * Carefully pick and choose your loadout.
    * Enjoy a well crafted adventure written by (explain who ever wrote the story, and if you're retro why not mention that too.)

Now I don't know I was kind of picking and choosing stuff in your little summary there, but, things that make your game unique among a sea of many others are what someone wants to see and hear. Even if it's not unique, hammer on your strong points. I think there can be "too many" things to hammer on, so maybe try about 6-8 bullet points. If you're working with a small little team, run the bullet points past them. You're trying to not just get past the steam approval people, you're trying to sell me your game bro. DO IT. You can do it.

P.S.
    Also, run through some story points. If you didn't already before you got to that, have a bit of story intro in there. Example

Earth, 2065 -- the Social Justice Warriors finally got their way, and everybody that didn't agree with them got kicked off facebook, twitter, and google hangouts. The ones that managed to escape The Purge were insulted and had their images posted on every News outlet as they started getting busted out by the nano-mechs.. A small team of anti-sjw JW's decided to put their high school football skills to the test and rise up against the mob.

--CHARACTERS--
    -Ace Blakely -- Former Team Captain of the Wokoski Lake Warriors, a cool 20 years old and totally mellow dude.
    - James "Fish" Burkes -- Ace's best bud , and wing man. James tried married life and found it wasn't for him.. Filled with a deep sense of anger for over political people, he dons his High School Football team jersey once more.. For great justice.
    - Donna Kapowski -- Not your average former High School Cheerleader, not even close. Her athletic training kept her lean and fast, she forces her way onto the WLW's team once more, also for great justice.
    -- and many more.
    --
    Game Features:
    * Avoid detection while spying on social media platforms, hire skilled programming language mercenaries to write interactive protocols that mimic other SJW's to lure them into your territory.
    * Steal stuff from the store.
    * Sell stuff back to the store.
    * Try to find out if there really are shadowy individuals paying groups within segments of society to stir up riots and rebellion.
    * Find out what people are on about with the social media lynching.
    * Romance your crush from High School, or meet someone new. Or be a loner. It's all up to you!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I suggest you look at what other people have done. Your description seems to be very ambiguous.

4. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's actually the bullet point for how it plays, and which is the missing link here.

For the record, here's the rest (minus selectively-sensitive plot-related details, of course):

EDIT: Fixed a number of redaction points that I missed the first time. Additional examples that could be used as reference material would also be appreciated. On a final note in the process toward publishing the main product description I have finished clearing my demo build and have it in for playtesting.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To get feedback on your specific game, you should ask this in your game thread. This is not a general question which could potentially be of use to others developing a commercial game and so does not belong here.

I am therefore closing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.