Level 99 Demi-fiend
- Mar 1, 2012
- Reaction score
- First Language
- Primarily Uses
Games in Development Rules and Guidelines
(Last Update: September 24, 2017)
(Last Update: September 24, 2017)
Threads posted in Games in Development will enter a moderation queue and not appear until it is accepted by Archeia or Taarna23. Threads will be accepted or denied based on how well they meet the rules and guidelines.
If your thread does not meet the requirements for this section it will either be moved to “Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread” or deleted, if it does not meet the requirements for that thread. We reserve the right to delete threads that do not meet the requirements without notification.
Give at least 3 days before inquiring as to the state of your thread, and address all concerns to Archeia or Taarna23. Make sure to include a link to your game topic for faster approval. We reserve the right to delete your thread for not following the rules after 3 days.
When posting in the Games in Development, you are expected to read, understand the following rules and meet the minimum requirement to post new thread in this forum. Before opening a new thread in this forum, please familiarize yourself with these rules:
Remember, if you are posting a demo:
- We will only accept non-English-language games which have been translated into English. You may post multiple versions of the game, as long as one of them is entirely in English.
- Posting projects which contain elements of religion, politics and/or sex are allowed, but please provide a disclaimer in the header of your thread. We cannot accept threads for R18+ ("Adult") games, as many children use this forum.
What is this board for?
The Games in Development is for getting feedback when you are just getting started and do not have a game yet or maybe have a small a demo to work out an idea on a certain mechanic.
- For feedback on small ideas – a character, a plot point, a single game mechanic – that do not need a whole thread, post in Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread.
- For feedback on game concepts, post in Ideas and Prototypes.
- For any games that are finished, post in Completed Games.
Template to Open a New Thread
You are required to add the following sections:
- Synopsis: A game synopsis of at least 350 words is required. This synopsis should give a general idea of what to expect from the game. You are required to detail your gameplay features.
- Screenshots: If your game is already in development, you should be able to post at least 2-5 screenshots. If you don't know how to take a screenshot, then read this tutorial.
- Tags: You can add any of the following to your game thread's tags. I highly recommend it as it makes fans of that genre find your game a lot easier.
- Action - Active battle system type of games fall under this category. Examples are Legend of Zelda, Seiken Densetsu and Secret of Mana to name a few.
- Adventure - games that fall under this category are Text Adventure-Type Games. Such examples are Indiana Jones, Monkey Island and Haunted mansion to name a few. A game where you interact with your surroundings as a main gameplay feature.
- Platformer - games that fall under this category are games that have action but in a sidescroller format. Examples includes Megaman or Castlevania type game.
- RPG - Role Playing Games, which tend to be story-heavy or focus a lot on levelling characters up through EXP.
- Visual Novel - games where the player interacts mainly through text. The story is presented with pictures, and the gameplay involves text choices to progress.
- Tactics - games involving stealth or survival usually fit into the Tactical category.
- Strategy - gameplay focuses heavily on positioning allies or battle strategies.
- Dungeon Crawler
- Old School
- Download Link: If including a demo, your game needs to be easily downloadable, with proper credits. Do not use adfly or similar websites to your download links. Dropbox and MediaFire are good options.
Things to Note
- Template. You may improve the look of your topic by using headers for the template or other images throughout. Just please make sure you have at minimum the required elements in your post.
- Appeal. Giving readers more information about your game (in other words, more from the “Optional” list) will help make your topic more appealing. This may help in getting the feedback you are looking for.
- Critiques. A good critique should point out a flaw in design, implementation, or technique. If you don't want your work subject to an experienced developer looking it over and letting you know what would work, fit, or look better you may as well post your project somewhere else. Improvement of your project via information, feedback, and input from your peers is what this site is for.
- Wait 72 hours before bumping your thread with updates, to give an equal chance to other members and their recruitment thread. As always, spamming will not be tolerated! Remember to read our General Rules before posting.
Last edited by a moderator: