Games no longer load as of just now

GreenerPastures

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Having a strange issue where whenever I try to playtest a game, it just gets permanently stuck on the little load loop thing and the title screen never even comes up. Thought it might have been because my core script was still 1.5, so I updated it to 1.6 but the problem remains. Even tried opening a different one, and making a new project, but the problem remains. Obviously this is quite a big issue and I should very much like to find a way to resolve it.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Obviously this is quite a big issue and I should very much like to find a way to resolve it.

I would very much like to help you but I will need more information first.

What operating system are you running MZ on?

What's your current Plugin list? (screenshots are fine.)

Have you tried fresh brand new project?

Synchromystic

Make RPG's Great Again
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm having a similar issue using the Mac version (Mojave 10.14.6) of MZ:

After the forced update this morning (which applied itself as soon as I opened Steam), my load times went from around 5 seconds to about 45 seconds... So it's playable, but that's an unacceptably long waiting period, and the load animation looks really jumpy and jerky like it's struggling with something. I also started out immediately switching to 1.6.0, but the problem persists even if I go back to 1.5.0.

As of right now, I assume everything else works fine, but haven't really tested much -- I just noticed this particular problem and wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing it. Looks like they bugged up the app.

Last edited:

Cynwale

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You maybe should switch to Bootcamp Windows, it works perfectly fine for me even if my base Computer is Mac OS.

If you prefer staying on Mac, then backup your game file, and uninstall and reinstall the software.

GreenerPastures

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm on Windows 10, and the first project I noticed this in really has very few plugins, just some stuff I've thrown together. Disabling all of them didn't change anything, and as stated, yeah the issue persists even in a completely new project created just now. As a new project has no plugins whatsoever, I'm pretty comfortable saying it's not a plugin issue.

After hearing from Synchromystic, I'm letting it sit on the load screen a while and seeing if it ever actually does get around to starting up, but still not really seeing anything at all after a good couple minutes.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where did you store your projects?
one reason for this behaviour would be if the folderpath toward the project breas one of the networking rules.

another possibility is a damaged font that can no longer be loaded (of whatever font you set as default)

Synchromystic

Make RPG's Great Again
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm 99.999% convinced the update did this: Steam must have applied it within the last day, because I was working on my game yesterday but noticed the update notification when I started it up this morning... And absolutely nothing in my project has changed since last night, when everything was working fine, and GreenerPastures had the same issue come up at the exact same time as me -- he started this thread literally minutes before I noticed it.

And I imagine the reason mine seems to be loading at all while GreenerPastures' project isn't, is because the Mac Mini that I'm using is a nearly maxed-out system (I've got like 64gb of RAM on this thing), so I would assume it's going to do everything WAY faster than his... I bet if I moved it to my laptop, it would take so long that I would assume it isn't going to work at all.

That alone is actually a good argument for why I should [eventually] switch to a PC with more moderate specs: All this power is surely going to give me a really inaccurate idea of how hard I can push my game's graphics before it starts to bog down... But it at least speeds up my workflow.

Last edited:

GreenerPastures

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
where did you store your projects?
one reason for this behaviour would be if the folderpath toward the project breas one of the networking rules.

another possibility is a damaged font that can no longer be loaded (of whatever font you set as default)

The font was one of the first things I tried, as I had heard of it causing similar issues. As for the folder path, well, it worked just fine as recently as ten hours ago. But I will try putting it in a different location when I get the chance, and after that will try reinstalling.

I'm pretty sure it's related to the update too, but will check back in after testing these things. For the record, even giving it a good 20 minutes of waiting, the project did not load at all.

Gong77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Same problem for me since the update. Even when I tried starting a new project from scratch. I'm on windows 10.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm pretty sure it's related to the update too, but will check back in after testing these things. For the record, even giving it a good 20 minutes of waiting, the project did not load at all.

It wont load if it hasn't within a certain amount of time.

Have you given all windows security permissions possible to not only the game engine but nwjs itself?

If it's not working in a new project thats definitely cause for concern. Reinstalling the game engine is definitely a good idea at this point.

GreenerPastures

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
After a full reinstall, and again testing with a completely new project, the problem persists. Compiling into a deployed project also has the same result, and all of the security settings are the same as they've ever been.

I'm planning to send an official bug report in when I can, and anyone else having the same problem should probably do so as well, just to maximize visibility.

Synchromystic

Make RPG's Great Again
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yup... Multiple people completely down immediately upon updating means that reinstalling is just going to reinstall the same problematic updated version of the software. Not sure why its affecting some people and not others, though.

Gong77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe a windows 10 and mac issue only?

tinkie99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm someone with the same issue as he is. Everything worked fine yesterday, I woke up opened mz, and boem playtest kept loading permanently. I've tried everything I could possibly think of, rebooted the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled mz, but nothing worked. Before you ask if it's a project issue. The project worked fine yesterday, and nothing was changed, I also tried it on multiple projects, and even tried to make a new project. So there's nothing in it except for the basics when u start a new project, and the issue still occurs. Now I did see someone mention maybe it's a windows 10 issue. Well, I'm windows 10 as well.

I had a deployed version yesterday that had the exact same content as today's project has. Nothing has changed since the deployment happened, I tried deploying a new one. The deployed game from yesterday works. The one from today has the same loading issue...

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Mod on Steam (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It might already been said, but if not: You could try to roll back to 1.5 and see if that fixes the issue?

Edit: I just advised someone else to roll back to 1.5 and their issues disappeared. So I am pretty certain this does fix the problem, but you will miss out on the update. I'm confident they will come with a patch soon.

Last edited:

GreenerPastures

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If by roll back you mean just the core script, I've done that a couple times. Tried some other versions too and had no luck on a fix. Unless there's like an update in the editor itself that I can roll back besides that?

EDIT: Ah, that did in fact do the trick. Had to go into steam and opt into the 1.5 beta, and then also switched back to 1.5 core script, and now the game launches just fine. Appreciate the heads up on that one, while I'm sure a patch is forthcoming it's good to be able to get back in there now.

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Mod on Steam (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean rolling back the editors update, not your project. The problems seem to suddenly start right after 1.6 came out. So rolling back to 1.5 might reverse that. This would mean the editor is broken, but your project is still fine.

I can't promise this is the case for you too, but it is worth the shot.

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I had a problem with a specific plugin and "Unexpected end of JSON input" error. Disabling the plugin fixes my problem. Anyway, what's up with the sudden update? I knew it was in beta but it updated for everyone now, and I see no news about it about releasing officially in Steam nor here, the last patch notes is still from 1.5.0

I'm 99.999% convinced the update did this: Steam must have applied it within the last day, because I was working on my game yesterday but noticed the update notification when I started it up this morning... And absolutely nothing in my project has changed since last night, when everything was working fine, and GreenerPastures had the same issue come up at the exact same time as me -- he started this thread literally minutes before I noticed it.

Can confirm. Yesterday I playtested a lot and had no problems. Before going to bed I had a forced update on Steam. I wanted to check if everything was fine but an error popped when trying to test the game. Luckily, it was just a plugin of a minor feature.

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Mod on Steam (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

render000.png
been using old character designs I had from high school for npcs in my game. seeing as the original idea of my game was a comic, I've got a LOT of designs for characters sitting around. a lot of people aren't a part of the story anymore, so I'll make 'em npcs.
I am doing the evaluation of the feedback from the students who played my game and the comments are killing me. "it was good, we just did not have any smart trains of thought" xD
My goal this month will be to get back to organizing assets and make a prototype scene with multiple airships hovering or flying over the world map.
Having a hard time getting playtesters for one of my Unity games. No one seems to be interested. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucifer821